Cut it out!

Options
Hey everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been on the forums; I've missed it. I've missed feeling stronger, less tired and feeling healthier overall. I've had every excuse and I've been so busy (but never too busy) to work out and monitor what I've been eating. After talking with my doctor and having several blood tests done, it's time to lose some weight. I have no medical issues that should interfere with making some drastic changes but wanted to know the thoughts of others?

Next week I will be cutting things out of my diet in hopes of eliminating some of my issues.

I drink soda occasionally and want to cut that out immediately.

I eat sugar ALL the time, and I'd like to cut that down. Any suggestions? With the new stories coming out about artificial sweeteners, I'd rather stick to my agave or nothing at all. Any suggestions for the cravings and headaches that come along with withdrawal?

Note: I have talked to my doctor about ALL of the below and he said to do what works for me; which is why I'm asking all of you what has made an impact on you! :smile:

I was reading online about a "no white" lifestyle. Essentially, you cut out anything that is white. Not literally EVERYTHING (egg whites are so good!) but things like mayo, milk, creamer, cheese, things of that sort. Which are huge unhealthy staples in my diet.

Similarly, I've thought about cutting out grains. While my doctor does not think that I have gluten allergy, grains (which I eat a LOT) of tend to bloat me up and make me feeling weighed down. Have any of you cut grains like rice and bread from your diet? What about starches like pasta?

Any thoughts? What has worked for you guys? My ideal is just to get to eating the healthier foods and to step away from the processed, fatty foods I've become accustomed to.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I just watch my calories. 70lbs down says it works.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's what I did before; and it worked for me too. Everything in moderation, they say, but as a borderline diabetic, I really would like to cut the sugar down and see what else in my diet I can eliminate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I simply reduce the consumption of things that I was over consuming. I used to drink a ton of soda and had a big time dairy habit. I cut the soda out completely for a few months and now I have one very occasionally...like maybe one per month or so. I'm not one that believes that dairy is inherently evil, but I ate and drank a ton of it...it's very calorie dense so substantially reducing my intake made "dieting" pretty easy for me. I still put a splash of milk in my coffee and have a glass of milk a couple of times weekly. I still eat cheese, I just don't drown my food in it and I don't sit down and eat a 1/4 Lb at a time.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That's what I did before; and it worked for me too. Everything in moderation, they say, but as a borderline diabetic, I really would like to cut the sugar down and see what else in my diet I can eliminate.
    I would encourage you to pursue a ketogenic way of eating. My father has diabetes, but has eliminated his metformin altogether in the last two months. His blood glucose levels have been essentially normal. He has applied some of the principles from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He's 83 years old.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I saw an MFP group called "Sugar Cleanse" to "break your sugar addiction". And their group logo has a big bowl of fruit! Sugar is only as evil as we allow it to be, IMO.
  • kmuree
    Options
    I simply reduce the consumption of things that I was over consuming. I used to drink a ton of soda and had a big time dairy habit. I cut the soda out completely for a few months and now I have one very occasionally...like maybe one per month or so. I'm not one that believes that dairy is inherently evil, but I ate and drank a ton of it...it's very calorie dense so substantially reducing my intake made "dieting" pretty easy for me. I still put a splash of milk in my coffee and have a glass of milk a couple of times weekly. I still eat cheese, I just don't drown my food in it and I don't sit down and eat a 1/4 Lb at a time.

That's just it for me too. I consume all of the things that make losing weight so difficult. Sometimes I fool myself into thinking I'm not eating or drinking too much, but with two sugary coffee drinks a day, a large soda and cheese with crackers, it all adds up very quickly. That's why I appreciate MFP so much - it keeps me in line, haha! :laugh:

Thank you for your input!
  • kmuree
    Options
    I saw an MFP group called "Sugar Cleanse" to "break your sugar addiction". And their group logo has a big bowl of fruit! Sugar is only as evil as we allow it to be, IMO.

I can agree with this. I have no desire to cut out ALL sugar - like you said, sugar isn't necessarily the evil. It's my willpower. I don't pay any mind to fruits or natural products when I look at my sugar intake; it's more like the coffee drinks I choose or the candy I crave late at night.
  • kmuree
    Options
    I would encourage you to pursue a ketogenic way of eating. My father has diabetes, but has eliminated his metformin altogether in the last two months. His blood glucose levels have been essentially normal. He has applied some of the principles from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He's 83 years old.

I'll definitely look into it! My father changed his entire outlook and lifestyle last year and nearly eliminated any remnant of his diabetes; it might be that way of eating that he chose to pursue. He has become very dedicated. Unfortunately we don't talk so I can't find out for sure but I will look into it!
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here is what helped me to break my soda drinking. (I will say I only drank 1 can a day, but I wanted more water.) I carry a water bottle everywhere!! Secondly, I don't work so I bought diet soda in the small bottles and put one in the fridge. If I felt like having a drink I had to get up have a drink and put it back in the fridge. (I couldn't have it sitting on my desk or table.) I figured if I was too lazy to get up the craving would pass, or at least I was making myself move to take that drink which led to more movement. Basically I just got sick of having to be dependent on that drink. Otherwise it was water, water, water. Every now and then I will have an unsweetened ice tea. I had "cravings" but didn't really have headaches so maybe you will be lucky with that also. Good luck!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sweets: Frozen Blueberries tend to help me. I am a total sugar addict...
  • kmuree
    Options
    Here is what helped me to break my soda drinking. (I will say I only drank 1 can a day, but I wanted more water.) I carry a water bottle everywhere!! Secondly, I don't work so I bought diet soda in the small bottles and put one in the fridge. If I felt like having a drink I had to get up have a drink and put it back in the fridge. (I couldn't have it sitting on my desk or table.) I figured if I was too lazy to get up the craving would pass, or at least I was making myself move to take that drink which led to more movement. Basically I just got sick of having to be dependent on that drink. Otherwise it was water, water, water. Every now and then I will have an unsweetened ice tea. I had "cravings" but didn't really have headaches so maybe you will be lucky with that also. Good luck!

Not a bad idea! I don't keep soda in the house; I mostly have an issue resisting it when we go out. :frown: Having a water bottle with me on a constant basis might not be a bad idea. I'm really awful with drinking enough water so that might kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
  • kmuree
    Options
    Sweets: Frozen Blueberries tend to help me. I am a total sugar addict...

Yum! Good reminder. I love frozen grapes and raspberries.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For some of us, sweet flavors give us the munchies. For some of us, this is particularly bad with artificial sweeteners which can have an even more intense sweet taste than natural sugars in things like fruit. For some of us, avoiding added sugar and artificial sweeteners helps us control our food cravings. There is science backing this up. It's true for some of us. It's true in enough of us that the processed food manufacturers use sweet tastes to drive our urge to consume more and increase their market.

Those of you for whom this is not a problem are lucky. Please do not disparage the comments of those of us who are.

So, OP, you may find it helps you to avoid overly sweet foods, with or without calories.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water? I'm not a big soda drinker so I never had to cut it out, but sometimes I'll do lemon/lime slices in seltzer water to satisfy my fizzy cravings.