How often do you take measurements?

Options
I have always ONLY used the scale for gauging what my progress is for getting to my goal. For the first time I took measurements to help tell how far I've come. I am wondering how long I should wait till I measure again?

Replies

• bonboncito
    bonboncito Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I try to do it every 4-6 weeks
  • CynCyndi
    Options
    Hi! I do not weigh that often and decided on measuring every 2 weeks. I've lost 11 inches so far. Although I like to see the lbs lost, I prefer the inches method since I'm also lifting weights and I depend on how my clothes fit.

I'm thinking measuring too often could be confusing based on what you've eaten that might have you retaining water. See what works best for you but 2 weeks for me is great :happy:

Cyn
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    awesome! thanks ladies, I will wait around three weeks and do it first thing in the morning.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do it around every 2 weeks. I like to have lots of data points in case I screw up one measurement one week.
  • Tribbey143
    Options
    I found on MFP there was a place to enter you inches, is that where you enter them just like your weight to keep track?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day & write it on the calendar, record it here if I've lost weight.
    I take measurements every 2 weeks.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use the scale just for a target area to shoot for. If I'm within + 5 or - 3 pounds on Saturday morning of my weight goal its all good. Measurements are recorded monthly.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I take measurements every 2 months or approx 4-5 lbs.
    My goal is to lose .5 lb a week so it takes awhile to lose inches.
    There is a chart that you can print out on successwithweightlossprograms.com to track measurements.
    The form is titled weight loss progress chart.
    Neck, chest, waist, hips arm, thigh.
    It amazes me to look at it.
    At 30 lbs lost....5 inches off waistline. :)
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Once a month, at the end of the month (we started 7/1 so we've been measuring at the end of the month to get a baseline for the following month)
  • hbgirl85
    Options
    I'm doing roughly every two months or 6-8 weeks.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    2 weekly
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    I measure when clothes aren't fitting well.
    I weigh about 4 times a week. Scale is too handy.:flowerforyou:
  • Tribbey143
    Options
    I weigh to often, I am trying to avoid my scale like the plague!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't because I have no idea how to do it right. I used to go to the gym and they did it for free every 3 months, but they also measure your body fat with an unreliable system, which frustrates me, because afterwards they comment about what you're doing wrong, so I'm not going anymore.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This time around I'm going to measure every 2 weeks. I don't have a scale. It turned out my last one was over by 10-20 lbs! I threw it out. If I can find a decent scale I might buy one but I get obsessed with weighing myself very day. So I think measuring every two weeks will be best. Especially since im working out and lifting weights. Body composition matters more to me than numbers on a scale.