IT Band tightness

Options
So I have been struggling with IT Band tightness and pain for a while now. I thought I had it fixed, but my last race proved me wrong. Who has had struggles with IT Band tightness and how did you overcome it? Thanks.

Replies

• GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I won't be much help, but I had the same issues when I initially started cycling again. The IT band always felt tight and made my legs feel weak. It eventually went away once my fitness and leg strength improved. On rare occasions I feel it when I am pushing my limits on a ride. Other riders I talk to with the same issue swear by the foam rollers.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    +1 for foam rolling
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am in constant discomfort due to tight IT band (particularly on the right leg) when I am working out hard and consistently. Stretching, foam rolling, yoga, and chiropractic adjustments (all with regularity) give me some relief. Make sure you're stretching your inner groin (opposing muscles) in addition to the outside of the leg stretches. Pigeon pose (you can probably find pictures and video tutorials online) helps. I also just have to avoid overuse because it becomes debilitating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    +2 for foam rolling. I have reduced a LOT of pain with a foam roller.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    +1 for foam rolling

This...
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Roll it with a foam roller, then step up to a basketball or medicine ball for more intensity, then do a seated spinal stretch like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CKr-RgOcIc

Repeat often.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    <--- Look my nickname:)
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, has anyone tried a foam roller? HA! okay smart *kitten* aside, thank you all, ive got a roller and have been using it every day now. New training program starts tomorrow, hope it helps. Thanks again.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Just to join the chorus...foam roller!!! :smile: