Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    http://www.focused-on-fitness.com/health/alcohol-and-health.php

I can't find the article I really wanted to post, but any micro brew beer is better than the big batch brews.
  • abeth1387
    Options
    Since the new year, I have given up all beer and liquor. I will only drink wine on occasion. Red wine is the best choice because it has heart healthy components and is lower in sugar than white wine, meaning fewer calories. I find Merlot to be a good choice. Most liquor is at least 65 calories per shot not to mention what it is you mix with it.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fan of Rum, which I found doesn't have a whole lot of calories. Used to drink Rum and Coke, but now just drink it with diet coke instead, or orange juice. In my opinion, the soda's and flavored drinks they put in the mixed drinks at the bar are probly where all the calories come from.
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a drinker!!! Can't help it...lol. On the weekends, I'm still young and I still love to party! Vodka/Sodas are the best...I believe vodka has about 60 calories per 1 oz, a shot is a 1 1/2 ozs. I take little Splenda packets in my clutch purse and shoot in some lime!! lol Hope this helps :-)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions when I have a drink, it's usually a glass of red wine.

As for Valentine's Day, I'll be staying right on track.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I went from everynight drinking (beer or two) to just having a beer or two on Friday and Saturdays. and eventually hope to ween it out completely.

If you want to lose weight, Alcohol is worse than a chocolate bar. It slows your metabolism by 73% after just 1 beverage, not worth it!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    hungry girl has a great cocktails section and and they tell you how to keep the calories down.
  • fatBgone80
    Options
    I hope this help, I found a list online with various drinks and the total calories.

Calorie Table

Drinks Amount Calories
    Red Wine 1 glass (5 oz) 105 calories
    Wine White Dry 1 glass (5 oz) 97 calories
    Wine White Medium 1 glass (5 oz) 105 calories
    Wine White Sweet 1 glass (5 oz) 135 calories
    Wine White Sparkling 1 glass (5 oz) 110 calories
    Champagne 1 glass (5 oz) 70 calories
    Screwdriver 1 glass (5 oz) 180 calories
    Margarita 1 glass (5 oz) 157 calories
    Whisky Sour 1 glass (5 oz) 125 calories
    Bacardi 1 glass (5 oz) 118 calories
    Vodka (neat) 1 shot (1 oz) 65 calories
    Rum (neat) 1 shot (1 oz) 66 calories
    Tequila (neat) 1 shot (1 oz) 65 calories
    Brandy (neat) 1 shot (1 oz) 64 calories
    Scotch (neat) 1 shot (1 oz) 64 calories

this is good info. where did you find it?
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been doing research on this and talking with various people about it as we are hosting a party this week, but I dont want to drink the fruity drinks we are making for everyone, and I have cut out alcohol with me changing my lifestyle and eating habits. The one that Im going with is Barcardi Rum (64 cal approx for one shot) with decaffeinated ice tea and fresh lemon juice! That way I only get the calories from the Barcardi, as the tea only has caffeine and lemon juice only has potassium.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'd vote
    Best drinks:
    vodka + club soda, or rum + diet coke, or gin + diet tonic...pretty much anything that has 1oz of hard liquor with a calorie free mix to dilute it...those will run you 60cals per drink

Worst drinks:
    Anything super sweet with many ingredients (pina colada's, fruity daiquiris, all those sugary drinks or shots that involve baileys/kahlua/whip cream, etc)...these will run you 200+ cals per drink
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    This is so great. I am actually meeting with an old friend tonight. I was planning on having my martini (dirty)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I'm a drinker!!! Can't help it...lol. On the weekends, I'm still young and I still love to party! Vodka/Sodas are the best...I believe vodka has about 60 calories per 1 oz, a shot is a 1 1/2 ozs. I take little Splenda packets in my clutch purse and shoot in some lime!! lol Hope this helps :-)

Wait wait.. you add splenda to what!? This sounds good.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Valentine's
    I will probably have a glass or two of wine with a really nice dinner (not completely over the top, but enjoyable). I like to plan my Free nights in advance, so I can exercise during the week to boost up and watch closely what I am eating on the other days. I don't want my free night to wreak havoc on my weigh-ins, I don't mind not losing anything that week, but I don't want to gain. I find that if I do this every couple of weeks, I don't feel deprived and I end up making better choices when I do go out. I will also leave a little room for some decadent desert this night...but i recently found that I don't really enjoy these as much as I used too, so it will probably be just a few bites and I'll be satsified, but I wont say No!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Some wines have a horrid amount of calories especially sweet or semi-sweet wines. :brokenheart: I stick with the dry wines, vodka, or Select Beer. Absolut Vanilla Vodka mixed with Diet Pepsi is yummy...one of my favorites actually. :drinker:
    I don't drink much beer at all except in the hot summer months. Occasionally I still have to have a Lemon Cello...it is delicious :bigsmile: but very high in calories (75 in one ounce!) Still, as someone said, you have to live once in a while!:devil:
    Stay away from sweet, fruity mixed drinks and as someone said above...the insane smoothie type drinks. :sad:

Enjoy!
    :drinker:
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra has 95 calories. I love beer lol http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/michelob/ultra-light-beer

Ok, but does that count as beer? :laugh:

I agree with the guy above that said if you're gonna drink, you might as well drink what you like.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Since I've been on the Gin & Tonic diet, I've already lost 2 days! badumdump.gif

:laugh:
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lol @ shannon's comment.

i like malibu & diet coke's. they're about 60 cals a glass & it takes me longer to drink them than beers & less to get me tipsy, so i'm still having a good time with everyone else. the only prob is that it's harder to play drinking games with liquor. no beer pong, flip cup, or kings!

there is select 55 beer, but it takes 2 of those to equal the alcohol content of 1 light beer...
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Congrats on planning! Its a great way to stave off a night of mindless-caloric-drinking.

Stick with CLEAR liquors....vodka (flavored or not) and etc.

I prefer vodka & diet. Its a bit harsh and I always get a strange look from bartenders but it's not only low-calorie (64-100...depending on how much the bartender serves up) but I PACE myself much better on this, especially when I've been saving up my calories or haven't had much carbs that day. For some reason...drinking vodka & diet, makes me NOT want to snack on the sweet, salty & fatty...unlike beer. With beer...I want to EAT!

A great choice is sugar-free redbull and vodka.
    A glass of wine (I stick with red at dinner)
    If you're a beer drinker go for MGD 64 (64 calories) or Bud Select 55 (55 calories a bottle...lowest out there that I know of!)