Plus Size Exercise Wear

Options
Hi All...I'm looking for some high quality workout wear for plus size women and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Next spring I'm going on a major hiking trip and plan to be smaller but until then I have to get some training done over the winter and need proper gear: down jacket, merino base layers, etc.

It's frustrating as I'm between regular sizes and plus size but given the fit of most workout wear everything runa a bit tighter. I've resorted to wearing men's clothing in the past but I'd like to wear something that fits properly and is feminine.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Old Navy and Mountain Equipment Co-op or if you have a Dlcks sporting goods I believe they sell larger sizes
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/sale/going-fast-sale/all-sales/champion-authentic-womens-jersey-capri-pants-cm7420

Here's an idea of how sizes run on their site S-2X for something like Capri's

Champion has some great clothes, high quality and varied sizes on their website or you can have them send you a catty to look through.

Good sale going on right now!.

Good look shopping!:happy:
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Most of mine have come from Old Navy and Shopko. It is very frustrating to find good plus size work out clothing, but it gets easier with every size moved down!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has an XXL that fits like a 1x, or they offer plus sizes on their website as well. Also, keep your eye out at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I vote for Old Navy as well, that is where the vast majority of my workout clothes came from and I never had any issues with them wearing out before they became too big. Sign up for e-mails and never pay full price :smile:
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Old navy, target, and I have some zella pants from nordstrom. Depending on your size you might be able to squeeze into target and old navy xxl pants/tops, I have a pair of old navy compression pants that are xxl and fit me well even though I normally wear like a 2x in ON workout clothes, same for targets C9 pants.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Nike goes up to 3X for some products
    JC Penney has a LOT of options usually at reasonable prices (and for those of us not in North America, they ship internationally!!)

Moving comfort goes to at least a 2X

Juno is an online company which goes to at least a 4X

Lane Bryant (also ships internationally) has a lot of options up to a size 28(3x)

Land End also has some options.

REI has a variety of brands many of which go up to 3x

I find + size workout clothing easy peasy to find in the US, elsewhere it is more difficult. Where are you located at/ budget range - that might help us help you more
  • lmaking
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is a big help.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Just buy some generic t shirts and shorts at Wal-Mart. They don't have to look good, you're going to be all nasty and sweaty when you're wearing them anyway so who cares what they look like?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Target has options up to 3x that are super cute, often in the clearance rack.

I know this sounds lame, but Costco has some good pants options too.

http://www.target.com/c/plus-size-activewear-women/-/N-55117#?lnk=lnav_shop categories_14
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    JC Penney's Xersion line is awesome for pants, shorts, or capris made for exercise. I've owned plus and now regular sizes and they're made very well (both)! I do think they run large so maybe you could try on plus & misses both...for example I was wearing the Xersion 1X capris around size 20 and now I'm in 10-12 ladies and wear the M capris in the Xersion line, even though I have enormous hips, and they're not snug. So they do run slightly large. I have no idea on their tops though, I've just tried the bottoms. Good luck!

ETA: I really like Athleta as well, not sure of their sizing though and I guess they're pretty $$$...I've bought my Athleta stuff at thrift shops ;-)

Edited again to add more ;-) The Xersion plus stuff I had held up SO well that it's now been handed down to my mom and one of her friends and they wear it regularly. That stuff is super good quality for the price, especially if you find it on sale or clearance.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Walmart has some okay sports bras cheap.

junoactive.com (part of junonia.com)

http://www.justmysize.com/plus-size/workout
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Old navy is nice and sometimes I check the local goodwills and salvation army for used workout clothes,I have found lots of name brands for cheap and most have a plus size section. walmart also has decent clothes in plus sizes too.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    http://www.maurices.com/ - I love their active wear stuff and it comes in plus sizes.

Someone on the forums a few days ago also recommended a sports bra that's awesome. I always had a hard time finding a sports bra that would hold everything in place. After hearing about this one on MFP I ordered one right away and I LOVE it.

Shock Absorber Sports Bra
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IABZ402/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Just checked the sizing on this site, and they have sizes to 2x.

fabletics.com

They sell outfits, and I have been tempted to buy because they are relatively inexpensive/cute.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Burlington Coat Factory if you have one. I got several pairs of workout pants there and didn't pay more than $10 for them, most were $7.
  • treasa99
    treasa99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but Lane Bryant carries workout wear in larger sizes
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    fatladysinging.jpg

No pic of mine, but the helmet has this awesome lining that helps absorb the sweat and keeps it from killing another set of my ear buds and the bra is like under wire on crack. I mean hecka support there. Plus, it ties in the back so it adjusts quite well with fluctuating weight and of course you would think, eww, sweat right? But no, the cloth is super awesome and wicks it away. I think my husband has a towel made out of the same stuff. *nods* I find it far superior to the jeans and a t-shirt that I used to walk around Lake Merritt in.... those didn't support, adjust or wick at all.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but Lane Bryant carries workout wear in larger sizes

I was going to suggest this too, if you are in the sizes they carry. They have come out over the last year or so with some really nice, durable and pretty exercise gear. That's the first place i check when i get a little money
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest this too, if you are in the sizes they carry. They have come out over the last year or so with some really nice, durable and pretty exercise gear. That's the first place i check when i get a little money

A little money? I got a pair of sweatpants there once... $50... for sweatpants.... I have a credit card for that place for a reason, no way I can buy anything and only spend a little money. Go shopping lie once, maybe twice a year and spend the rest of the year paying off the 4 items I got.