Looking for Support and Diet Suggestions

Options
I am looking to start eating healthier. Currently I am in a rut of eating fast food daily and I have a extreme sweet tooth. As a web designer and media artist, I spend most of my time sitting at the computer working. Trying to balance exercise and food preparation has always been a challenge. I am in my 20's and I have extreme back pain and trouble standing and walking overtime. I am currently sitting at 158lbs at 5'4" and the scale is climbing. Since I have recently increased my fast food habit I have been suffering from acne, which I never have had an issue with in the past. That being said I am looking for motivational people who are also in a similar lifestyle.

I've been considering cutting out processed foods and trying to prepare my own meals but I am not sure where to start. My goals are to cut out my sugar habit and to lose inches along with lbs. I also want to increase my daily water intake.

I have tried going "Cold Turkey" on all of my fast food and sugar but I end up more frustrated than anything else. I've never joined a fitness group but would love to try to meet more people to be motivated to have a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks for the support! :)

Destiny

Replies

• Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 35 times. Not 35 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

4.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 39 in 139 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 5'4" and started this journey at 163, just a little heavier than you. It took me about 3-4 months to lose about 20 pounds. I'm like 143 now, not tiny, but at 5'4" it's a lot more comfortable. You can do it! Add me if you wanna chat.
  • destinyjade00
    destinyjade00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Fsunami! That is a fantastic mindset. I find myself becoming so emotionally involved with the process that when I break and go over my calorie count or when I do not lose any inches I tend to become upset. I like the mentality of comparing it to something to do. I know that 35lbs is achievable just a week at a time. My main goal is to be able to actually move. Sitting all day has wrecked my back and knees so I do not run or exercise. I recently started to attempt basic Yoga and that has been helping for sure. I'm excited to meet more people here and to go through this process with everyone :)

Thanks again!

Destiny
  • bkcuti3
    bkcuti3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP that wasn't the start of my healthy lifestyle change and that's what this should be a otherwise its going to be REALLY hard to stick to it. I say definitely start slowly, you can't cut everything out all at once or you won't stick with it. So you can start off by just tracking your calories just to see how much you're actually eating.

The first thing I cut out years ago was soda, you can try and go cold turkey and just carry a large water bottle with you so that you can't reach for the soda. Also, in a lifestyle change you're going to make mistakes and slips up but its ok. You just have to make up for it and work twice as hard next time.

I'm mostly sedentary also but I try to stand up any chance that I get and instead of eating sitting down, try standing or taking a short walk. I don't have a heavy exercise routine because I know I can't stick to it but I do push ups at night and squats with a 1 minute cardio in the morning. Its important to know your limit and your body so that you can make a plan that you can stick to. For me it was all trial and error but after all the trouble you'll feel so much better.
  • nickibunn
    Options
    Destiny
    I tried cutting processed foods cold turkey and i craved them more than ever and fell apart. i then tried replacing 1 or 2 things each meal that was not processed. By substituting foods gradually it helped my body adjust better and then it was just easier to get the right foods to eat.
    I work in IT and spend all day at my desk which is hard. I was so happy when work got rid of the vending machines. Its hard to some times prepare your own food, but i always have some fruit or nuts etc at work that i can snack on during the day if i have to.

Good luck with it :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

Fsunami

Amen

The other good news is you don't have to be perfect , you just have to do better.

A few small changes until they become habit, when they are habit and you don't have to think about them any more, then add a few more. rinse and repeat.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Before I started exercising, I used to suffer terribly from upper back and neck pain. Within about 3 months of commencing an exercise regime, I found that this pain had largely disappeared. I have a theory that if your muscles have nothing to do they ache just to get your attention. Anyway, what I am trying to say is don't let your sore lower back and knees be an excuse for not moving more. Try something gentle like walking. I reckon you will find that your pain is lessened considerably.

All the best with embracing your new lifestyle.
  • destinyjade00
    destinyjade00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I am really excited for this process and am looking forward to MFP. I will try to start standing at my desk more and going on short walks when my schedule permits. <3
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Fsunami

Amen

The other good news is you don't have to be perfect , you just have to do better.

A few small changes until they become habit, when they are habit and you don't have to think about them any more, then add a few more. rinse and repeat.

Yup. This. Find out what works for you, and beat the crap out of it. :)