Feel like my suggested calories are too high

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal, so forgive me if this has been posted many times.
I am 59kg (130lbs) and 172cm (5ft 7.5 inches), and strength train (heavy) 3-4 times a week, as well as interval training 3 times a week. My goal is to drop body fat, not necessarily body weight.
The recommended calories from the site is 2,413! I would have thought I would need 1,800-2,000?
Anybody have any comments or thoughts?

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to and what is your weight loss per week goal?
  • tlwallis94
    Options
    My activity level is set to the highest one, I think it was called very active.
    My weight loss goal is 0.25kg a week, but I only want to drop a few kg's so that I get the lean look I'm after, rather than super skinny.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That is why then, if you set yourself as very active, it presumes you need a lot of calories to fuel that lifestyle. It might be in your interest to go down an activity level or two, then log your exercises manually to get the extra calories that way.

I have a sedentary day job so I put that as my activity level. I go gym three times a week so my fitbit add that on to those days.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP's activity level means your every day activity level - how active you are in your every day life, job etc. Very active would be someone who is on their feet with a very physical job 40 hours a week.

I suggest you use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead... and use 'moderately' active with a 10% deficit and see from there. Although frankly at your height and weight I can't see how much fat you'd have to lose.
  • SpiritBunny
    SpiritBunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine are definitely too high, at 1,250 a day.

I cut down to 800-850 a day, which seems too low for most people, but for me, it's perfect and the ONLY way I ever manage to lose/maintain a reasonable healthy weight. I think I have a thyroid problem that has gone un-diagnosed.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and when 130Ibs, when getting a good workout in daily, I lose half a pound a week on around 2200-2500 calories, so 2400 is not totally unrealistic if you are working out daily. However, I will say that when I workout, I tend to burn 600-1000 calories.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I cut down to 800-850 a day, which seems too low for most people, but for me, it's perfect and the ONLY way I ever manage to lose/maintain a reasonable healthy weight. I think I have a thyroid problem that has gone un-diagnosed.

Maybe you should see a doctor instead of starving your body into submission, which actually, if you do have any medical conditions, will make them infinitely worse.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Sounds realistic. I workout about 5-6 hrs/week (mix of strength and cardio--moderate, nothing strenuous), and my maintenance is ~2,200 calories, But, I'm shorter (5'6") and older (38 yo) than you--two things that generally lower calorie needs. My 20-year self probably ate 2,500/day (didn't count calories then), and maintained 125lbs of lean fitness (active--like you are).
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Maybe you should see a doctor instead of starving your body into submission, which actually, if you do have any medical conditions, will make them infinitely worse.

I agree to go see a doctor about your thyroid if you suspect something. I thought I had hypothyroidism (weight gain, intolerant of cold temperatures, fatigue), but my labs came back within normal limits. Not gonna knock you on calorie intake, but I suggest a nutritionist.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    That is why then, if you set yourself as very active, it presumes you need a lot of calories to fuel that lifestyle. It might be in your interest to go down an activity level or two, then log your exercises manually to get the extra calories that way.

I have a sedentary day job so I put that as my activity level. I go gym three times a week so my fitbit add that on to those days.

This. If you put yourself at very active. It's assuming that's what you naturally burn do to your general activity and not exercise. So it's basically accounting for all the exercise you are doing already and your calorie total would make sense. Adjust your activity level to whatever your natural activity is without exercise. Then log your exercise every day, which will add in the calories you have burned from exercise.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Track for a few weeks and adjust if necessary. If it just an estimate after all :smile:
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Track for a few weeks and adjust if necessary. If it just an estimate after all :smile:

I agree with Chris. Myself at around 5'7 67.9 kg at the moment, my base goal is 2540 cals to maintain. On a normal day , when the kids are at school, my steps bring it up quite a bit. I am in maintence. I just had a week eating less, (felt unwell) and lost , then have maintained the next week while eating over. So it seems for me, even with the Fitbit my maintence is higher than average. The only way I noticed this is through logging as accurately as possible.

Also using MFP, the active activity is taken as meaning you are active in everyday life, and then you add estimated calorie burns from exercise. For me I work on my feet for 7.5 hours or more a day, walk my kids part way to school and do a decent amount of house work.
  • Disneyfan856
    Disneyfan856 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

That's highly unhealthy. There is no possible way you can be receiving proper nutrition on that low of an amount. What do you eat all day? Carrot sticks? Go to the doctor before you become seriously ill.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Your own profile says why to not take advice from you .... "Along my complex life I have had ED to control my weight. 12 years ago. I am always on a regime of some sort, don't do trendy diets. I just cut calories (to the point it's unhealthy)."

Just read the parts in bold.
  • tlwallis94
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :)
    I will follow it's suggestions for a week or so, because I feel like my suggested activity level is correct. In addition to the high intensity exercise I do, I have to walk everywhere as I don't have a car. I don't sit down for much of the day. If by next week I have gained weight, I will know to drop my activity level.
    I don't feel like I am gaining weight, which I am happily surprised about!
  • tlwallis94
    Options
    yeah I work out hard too. After workouts its always a mad rush to the pantry for some protein :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Please see a doctor.

There is absolutely no way that 1200 is to high- unless you're something like 4 feet tall.

Just nope nope nope .