Best quick way to drop twenty?

Options
Hello everyone! I realize This is a very generic question and the answer is eating clean and exercising. Here's the situation, my boyfriend smokes about a pack of sigs each day and I presented him with a challenge. A race rather. I've got a pretty bad food addiction and I told him that I would drop twenty pounds if he quit smoking. That's when we made it a challenge, I drop twenty he quits cold turkey. We are still working on my end of the challenge (not sure what I must endure if he quits smoking before I drop the weight) but I know I'll hate it lol. I'm already vegan and manage my own raw vegan cafe. My downfall? Bingeing. Cashews, avocados, chips, breads, beers... Was planning to follow something like this: breakfast-fruit(melon mostly), lunch-green smoothie or juice, snack-a sampler plate of my current menu at the cafe (quality control), then no dinner unless I'm hungry then either a salad or veggie soup. My biggest problem is drinking. I work so much it's become a necessity to relax at the end of the day. I don't care what people say about running a raw organic restaurant it's just as stressful, if not more, as the rest if the food biz. Anyway, just curious to see your tricks to rapid weight loss. The sooner I can get him to quit the better

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    amputation.

you've been here almost as long as I have. I've lost a lot of weight by figuring out what works and is sustainable and healthy.

anything that you're told here, any tips that you're given for "HEY Y DONT YOU USE DIS PILL OR DIET" advice isn't going to last and by the time you're done with and go back to your habits, you'll gain the 20 back, plus some.

so why not just use this app, count your calories, and figure out how to lose in a healthy and sustainable method.

if you really think you have a food addiction, my first piece of advice is to seek counseling pertaining to that.

...then worry about figuring out how to lose weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you're burning. ffs

Also, eat more protein or fat rich foods since you have issues with bingeing. This should of course still be within your calorie goal.

Expect it to be 2-3 months. Wgaf if you lose 20lbs of muscle or water weight? Focus on fat loss with a moderate calorie goal, resistance and cardio exercise.

Lastly, stop picking arbitrary numbers of weight to lose so your boyfriend will feel obligated to stop smoking. If you want to have some sort of health goal it should be for your own personal happiness. If he wants to quit he'll need to decide and deal with that himself.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    The sooner I can get him to quit the better

I am cringing at this. :noway:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This is a very generic question and the answer is eating clean and exercising.

That is not the answer. The answer is to eat less calories than you burn. Also, it seems a little goofy to have a race with two goals requiring vastly different timeframes. He could, if he were so inspired, quit cold turkey. All you can do is eat at deficit and see how fast the weight comes off. Just like weight loss, he needs to want to quit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no diet advice for a vegan, unfortunately. You know how it goes. Calories in, calories out. blah blah blah
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    There's no quick fixes. Calories in verse calories out. Eat at a reasonable yet responsible deficit, weigh and measure everything you consume and log it accurately. as far as weight loss goes, it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as your in a deficit. You could eat vegan"clean" foods, and it really won't make a difference for weight loss. Burn more then you consume and you'll lose the weight.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I realize This is a very generic question and the answer is eating clean and exercising. Here's the situation, my boyfriend smokes about a pack of sigs each day and I presented him with a challenge. A race rather. I've got a pretty bad food addiction and I told him that I would drop twenty pounds if he quit smoking. That's when we made it a challenge, I drop twenty he quits cold turkey. We are still working on my end of the challenge (not sure what I must endure if he quits smoking before I drop the weight) but I know I'll hate it lol. I'm already vegan and manage my own raw vegan cafe. My downfall? Bingeing. Cashews, avocados, chips, breads, beers... Was planning to follow something like this: breakfast-fruit(melon mostly), lunch-green smoothie or juice, snack-a sampler plate of my current menu at the cafe (quality control), then no dinner unless I'm hungry then either a salad or veggie soup. My biggest problem is drinking. I work so much it's become a necessity to relax at the end of the day. I don't care what people say about running a raw organic restaurant it's just as stressful, if not more, as the rest if the food biz. Anyway, just curious to see your tricks to rapid weight loss. The sooner I can get him to quit the better

Rule number one in life. Don't promise to do something if you can't do it. Losing 20 pounds is not a challenge that someone can simply wake up and do in a healthy fashion. It requires time and hard work to do it right.

Track calories and exercise. 10 weeks of serious dedication should get your boyfriend to quit. Although, honestly, he shouldn't need someone to bet him in order to quit smoking...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo the advice that you've already gotten.

How to lose 20 pounds: eat at a moderate calorie deficit
    Quickly? No.

But if you want to keep the 20 pounds off, you'll want to lose weight with a sustainable plan that you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1 Question.... what is your current height and weight?

When I was your age I was a perfectly healthy weight and always thought I was too fat...
    hence yo-yo dieting, which was really not at all good for my health.

Protect your health first. Make sure you goal is reasonable and healthy.
    BMI is not perfect but unless you are ultra muscular it's generally a good starting point.
    (I knock 10lbs off of each end of the range... 10 lbs above the low (if I ever get sick I've got some resources to draw from) and 10lbs below the high in case of unforeseen circumstances when I'm out of control of my food or can't exercise. I still have a little wiggle room.)
  • RommelMathew
    RommelMathew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A good way to prevent bingeing is having small, frequent meals throughout the day and drinking about 2 glasses of water before each meal.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    There is no quick way ... other than the HCG diet, and that may just kill you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat right and exercise - still the best way to health and weight loss!

Don't be too disappointed if he doesn't hold up his end of the bargain. Sounds like a stalling tactic to me.

Quitting smoking is pretty hard and people can only do if they actually want to do it!
  • Rederizer
    Options
    Haha I have ate just eggs for 5 weeks and drank a lot of water and I lost 22lbs so far and still doing it
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Haha I have ate just eggs for 5 weeks and drank a lot of water and I lost 22lbs so far and still doing it

OP is vegan and that "diet" doesn't sound sustainable....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Look into the 5:2 diet or the 4:3 diet. It's working for me. I wouldnt call it a diet. It's just a new way to eat and becomes a way of life.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

OP is vegan and that "diet" doesn't sound sustainable....
    No kidding.
    OP, there are folks that you should listen to.. and folks you shouldn't.
    I hope you're able to decide between the two.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Honestly you will be frustrated with your wasted efforts if you do this "contest" (unless you aren't overweight and don't actually want/need to lose excess weight, in which case I would side-eye you even harder)

As someone who is both trying to lose 20+ lbs. and quit smoking as well, I find this quitting contest dumb and flippant. Both of these goals should be taken more seriously. Does he even WANT to quit smoking, or he just said he would if you dropped 20 in a pinch?

Do it for yourselves, not each other.
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lastly, stop picking arbitrary numbers of weight to lose so your boyfriend will feel obligated to stop smoking. If you want to have some sort of health goal it should be for your own personal happiness. If he wants to quit he'll need to decide and deal with that himself.

This is a very important statement.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The sooner I can get him to quit the better

Hi

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you wont "get" him to do anything. This is a choice he has to make for himself. I know, Ive been smoking for 30 years. I have kid with heart issues, and you would think I would know better. I do, but havent made that choice yet.

Wishing you and he much success in your relationship, regardless.

Fsunami