New here...(help)

Options
Hi, I'm new here, or new-ish...today is day 4 for me. I have no idea how to post comparison pics etc like you see on some people' profile's, however the pics I posted on my profile were all taken within the last few months. I've been here 4 days now, and I don't even know how to do a blog or anything yet...I've pretty much only figured out all the food and exercise journal-ling so far. I am unsure how to post my statuses, except for the food and exercise ones mfp automatically posts for you. I am absolutely the opposite of shy in rl, but for some reason, I find myself shy online. (super weird, I know). I am pretty much too shy to friend anyone, but I will accept friend invites, please let me warn you before hand, that I will probably not be great about posting on people's pages etc again internet shyness, and perhaps low self esteem issue's which I am trying to work on. I really need help, support, insight, friends etc over here, as this is my first attempt at this whole life changing, weight loss reaching, healthier choices, becoming more awesome thing. I am so committed to being a better me, and I'm jumping in with two feet, however if I knew how to do it all on my own, I wouldn't be here to begin with, I wouldn't be in this position to begin with. (make sense?) I guess this is my humorous attempt at saying HELP! lol (please)
Whew, that was all really hard to say!
...but you see how this works, I'm on my way to bed, so now that I've said it, I can quietly, and shyly walk away to bed, and hopefully read replies and friend requests in the morning. (Thank-you so much, in advance)
~Rebekah

Replies

• bkcuti3
    bkcuti3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello Rebekah! Welcome, its if you don't know all the things about MFP, I've been here since Jan and I don't know everything but I'll gladly try to help you. One of the most important things you need to know is that patience is a virtue. Your results aren't going to always happen overnight and there will be sometimes when the scale or even inches don't make any sense but know that it ok. Since you started off with MFP just know that portion sizes are key to eating less and a neat trick is to eat with smaller plates. I have a problem with over eating and this has helped me greatly. I'm not so sure what else to tell you right now since you are new and you don't want to start off doing everything at once because you'll never be able to sit to it. But I'll send you a friend request and if you have anymore questions from simple to hard, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help.

Good luck on journey! :D
  • Calren2
    Options
    Welcome Rebekah! Echoing bkcuti real quick, sometimes going purely off the scale, or even on measurements, is akin to reading a ouija board. While I'm on my cut, I tend to follow this: "Did my weight go down over the last week? If yes, yay, else go to step 2. Did my waist, hips, or thighs (my trouble areas) go down? If yes, yay, else go to step 3. Am I lifting more than a week, or even a month ago?" You get the drift. Also while the smaller plate idea is a well known psychological trick, I can't stress enough how valuable a kitchen scale along with good measuring cups can be. Very few people are good at estimating purely off glancing into a bowl or pot. A cup of cereal, pasta, whatever is less than what most of us think.

I'll send you a friend request as well. As for shyness, I think you'll find with working out regardless of it being walking, yoga, strength training, whatever, that overtime the more active you become the more confidence that will build, and that can help with shyness.
  • jeep2961
    jeep2961 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a nice sleep and waking up positive this morning ! A life change can be frightening at first but then it can quickly turn to exciting as you start to see and feel better overall, mre energy, skin becomes more hydrated and healthier looking, changes in shape, etc, take it one step at a time, dont try to give up every favorite food and exercise evrerday at first, make a 1 significant change each week and soon they add up. My first week i gave up coffee for green or oolong or herbal teas, was hard the first week but now i love my tea and like how my skin looks more hydrated and healthier, the second week i started some low impact yoga stretching for beginners in the privacy of my home from you tube a few days a week and already feel more flexible, little changes combined will turn into a healthier you :-) will send you a friend request
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rebekah! You have found the right place at the right time. Friend request sent.
  • nicolejyoung71ny
    nicolejyoung71ny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to don't have a clue what I am doing lol