Am I'm eating too far calories?

Options
Hey Gang,

I started MFP on Monday and I'm ready getting hyped about working out but I'm concerned that I'm eating too few calories. Do you guys mind taking a look and let me know: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jjenkins2005

Thanks a Ton!

J

Replies

• vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would say that if ur hungry eat and if your not dont force yourself. A lot of ppl on here will say that you should eat your excersise calories but i think everyones different. I eat when im hungry if im not im not gonna force it makes no sense. My daily calorie goal is 1200 but i am always under like between 700-900 i still eat 3 meals a day so if you feel like your starving i would up your calorie intake but if your not then leave it alone.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and you should never have over a 1000 calories left. The system already has a deficit set up for you. Try to meet that number within a couple of hundred calories (that's including your exercise calories).
  • angelmuss
    Options
    It looks to me like you may not be eating enough. Good luck :)
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    If your goals are set for a 2 pound a week weight loss, then no! If you are still hungry, I'd add in a few, don't forget that when you work out you'll earn more:) Also make sure you're drinking LOTS of water and eating lots of PROTEIN! This will help with the hunger:) p.s. never go under 1200 calories...starvation mode is what happens when you do that!
  • Bridge3272
    Options
    YES YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE!! Here is a great article that explains why!http://www.spineuniverse.com/wellness/nutrition/eating-lose-weight
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    On your home page, there is that box labelled "Net calories". I believe for men this number should equal a minimum of 1500 calories for the day.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and you should never have over a 1000 calories left. The system already has a deficit set up for you. Try to meet that number within a couple of hundred calories (that's including your exercise calories).

Agreed. The 2000 that MFP already gives you a deficit to reach your goal (if you set it at 2lbs/week that is a 1000 deficit). Some says you still have 1500 cals left, which means your caloric deficit is 2500 (1500+1000) much too large.

Because you have a lot to lose you can probably sustain slightly larger than the 1000 deficit (2000 cals) but I would not go fat under that number and never on days you workout should you. Try to be within 250 of MFP's allotment and you should be fine. So if you are set at 2000 and burn 750 calories through exercise you should eat between 2500 and 2750. This way you will lose 2lbs-2.25lbs/week, which is healthier than trying for more.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    well if u burned that many calories exercising (are u sure thats accurate?) then you do need to eat some of those back. keep in mind you want something sustainable. if your still hungry all the time then deff eat more or youll end up binging. i eat alot of fresh veggies to help fill me up.
  • nabrown382
    Options
    On a different topic I posted, someone suggested looking up "eating exercise calories" in the search field for the message boards to get some good tips on your net calories. There's tons of good info out there from other folks' experiences. I hope this helps!
  • dsanford6156
    dsanford6156 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your fine, my calorie goal is 1200. I try to stay at that number. If you don't eat at least 1200 calories a day then your body will think you are starving it and your body will go into starvation mode and everything you eat will turn into fat. so go a little over 1200 is better then staying under that mark.
  • dilarmstrong
    Options
    Add some fruits between your meals, even though most are negative calorie foods you'll have more energy! great job working out!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your fine, my calorie goal is 1200. I try to stay at that number. If you don't eat at least 1200 calories a day then your body will think you are starving it and your body will go into starvation mode and everything you eat will turn into fat. so go a little over 1200 is better then staying under that mark.

It is more like 1500 for a man but this means 1500 plus any calories you burn through exercise. Just as the 1200 means 1200 plus exercise cals (1200 NET)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yes, you need to eat more. Just make sure what you choose is healthy for you. Have some healthy fats such as a handful of nuts, avacado, salmon.

Good luck!
  • TakingBackMyLife2005
    Options
    Thank you all for you feedback and tips. The strange thing is, I'm really not as hungry since I started eating this way... My snacks are normally low and calories and the portions help pass my thru to the next meal and the water intake helps a lot. I'm going to try to find a way to boast my intake.
  • shawana4
    Options
    Hello MFP friend. I would say yes you are not eating enough. I learned this just by reading post from others and just researching also. You have to eat the 1200 a day calorie just so your body can maintain its function. Now your Calorie gaol is what you should be getting up to plus if you burn you add extra calorie to take in. Never starve yourself and even if your body isn't hungry and you know that you only ate once eat something healthy and small. I did notice that i only saw breakfast and thats it so YES you are not eating enough. I know its hard but believe me you can do it. I have notice now since on MFP i have lost 6lbs in 3 weeks and my food intake is getting better and better. I don't feel hungry and tired all the time and i'm balancing my meals and giving my body what it needs. Just hang in there it is a work in progress but you can do it.
  • rachelc96
    Options
    I don't think you are eating too much at all. 1600-1,700 is absolutely fine. I just think you are eating too much of the same foods. Maybe add some more fruits&vegetables and switch things up so you don't get bored of the same meals. Good luck!
  • rikkitikki
    rikkitikki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing that burns that many calories?
  • TakingBackMyLife2005
    Options
    Hello MFP friend. I would say yes you are not eating enough. I learned this just by reading post from others and just researching also. You have to eat the 1200 a day calorie just so your body can maintain its function. Now your Calorie gaol is what you should be getting up to plus if you burn you add extra calorie to take in. Never starve yourself and even if your body isn't hungry and you know that you only ate once eat something healthy and small. I did notice that i only saw breakfast and thats it so YES you are not eating enough. I know its hard but believe me you can do it. I have notice now since on MFP i have lost 6lbs in 3 weeks and my food intake is getting better and better. I don't feel hungry and tired all the time and i'm balancing my meals and giving my body what it needs. Just hang in there it is a work in progress but you can do it.

Thanks, I think you are only look at today in which I only had breakfast logged. I don't have to be to work until Noon so my days normally start a little later than most but all other days I've done three meals and snacks and have eating over 1200 cals... I had the 2000 cal diet confused because I thought the goal was to stay under 2000 cal and not eat 2000cals.
  • TakingBackMyLife2005
    Options
    What exercise are you doing that burns that many calories?

I did P90X yesterday and I'm going to say it was hard. When I logged my exercise, for 60 minutes of Low Impact this is what it stated. The one thing I will say is My girlfriend did hers and it was far lower and I'm going to say that it is prob related to my weight since I tried it from both the website and mobile app and they said the same thing.