Vegetarians (Vegans are cool too!)

Options
Hello everyone!

I started a MFP account a few years ago when I was first trying to lose weight. I'm 5'11" and I had gotten up to 215 lbs. Not as heavy as some people, but since I had very little muscle mass I was pretty fat. I had known I was overweight for a while, but I never really thought about it much until my wife took a picture of me. It was a side view shot and it looked like I had a basketball underneath my shirt. When I saw the picture I asked her "Why didn't you tell me I was THAT fat?"

The first time I tried using MFP I thought it was a great idea, but at the time it was a lot of work. Many foods weren't in the database, and I didn't want go through all the effort to enter in all the information. Instead I laced up running shoes dialed way back the amount I ate. I dropped to 150 in about 6 months.

I maintained for a while, I stayed more active, but in the last several months I just got lazy. I was being less active, and eating more. Not only was I eating more, but it was calorie dense food so those pounds were being packed on. I weight on the scale a little over a week ago at 172. I realized I was on my way back up and I needed to change some things, before it got out of control.

So here I am a week later. I like habits, I like stats, and MFP is much better this time around. Everything with a barcode I have scanned has been in the database, and the raw foods are all nice and easy to search for.

I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons. I've been a vegetarian for over 8 years now (most of that time was as a junk food vegetarian: donuts, cookies, chex mix, frozen burritos, sodas, all of that).

Looking for other vegetarians (and vegans) to build some friendships and motivation as I lose a few pounds, and then start building my strength up. Others are welcome too, but I'm always interested to see what other vegetarians and vegans are eating, and what they choose for exercise.

~Etharian

Replies

• Neritel
    Neritel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) my partner and i are vegan. My diary is open and i always cook from scratch but you won't be able to see what type of exercise i do since the data comes in through my fitness tracker. I currently swim and do aqua fitness, aqua jogging and if you want to count that, walk my dog.
  • lenehreut
    lenehreut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm a vegan (vegetarian two days a week) and I've just started back on MFP today.
    I've gained 20kg over the last two years, I'm a single mum and a university student.
    My diary is open, and for fitness I do anything I feel like haha I love to run, swim, walk and spin. But am now starting to work on strength.
    Feel free to add me if you feel we can motivate each other!!
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm vegetarian too and am pretty active! :) I also know how you feel, when I look at pictures of me 20 pounds ago, it looks like I'm stretching the seams of my pants as far as they can go! I feel a mixture of embarrassment and pride at them now :P
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian (and mostly vegan..) here. My diary is open, feel free to add as well!
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm eating vegan for 90 days. I'm a month in and don't miss anything except whey protein shakes. Haven't found a vegan protein shake that I like. Vega is pretty good but it has stevia and I don't like the after taste. I want to lose 30lbs and put on 10lbs of muscle. Any suggestions for vegan protein?
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in sharing vegetarian recipes.
  • sauron94
    Options
    No thanks, but say hi to Fonzie for me.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based diet (my protein powder has bee pollen so I guess I can't technically call myself vegan) and I'm pretty active.
    Just started lifting and running, also try to get in some other cardio during active rest days.
    Feel free to add, I log daily and have an open diary.

Cheers!
  • charlievr
    Options
    I'm mostly vegan, aspiring to become fully vegan eventually. Would love others to add :)
  • mmeans68
    mmeans68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just became "Vegan-esque"....I call it that because we still eat fish and eggs. We've given up dairy, red meat, and chicken and are closely watching our sugar intake. We've been at it for about a month and a half and, really, aren't missing much as there seems to be vegan substitutes for just about everything we used to eat. Not sure if I fit the bill, or not, but feel free to add me, too :)
  • dwishtee1
    dwishtee1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi! i am a vegetarian (every day if you count eggs as vegetarian) and vegan when i am out of milk and milk products.
    i am 5'1", 130lb, and looking for friends in mfp. feel free to add me and we'll all be vegetarians together :D
    oh, and i'm a female.
  • rebetha82
    rebetha82 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am lacto-ovo vegetarian since 7 years and here to lose close to 40 pounds. I am usually cooking from scatch and could share some of my favorite recipes ;) Add me if you like!
    For exercise, I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred right now and take walks whenever I can. I am planning to use the C25K next spring since I used to run up to 8K 3 years ago and miss running. But the Canadian winter is coming so running has to wait a little :)
  • xo_jenny
    xo_jenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant-based diet, too, and am very active on MFP!! Anyone can feel free to add me. Cheers, Jenny
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also 5'11 but female. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian & married as well. I've been a vegetarian for.. oh jeez... 14 years. My high weight was 215. I'm currently just over 6 months in and down to 167 lbs. I have my diary open to people who add me, just write "vegetarian" or something in the friend request so I can remember why. I'm trying to get down to 149, although I'm considering modifying my goal as I get closer.
  • OscarZelaya
    OscarZelaya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 7 years. I'm 5'10 and about a year ago I was 205lbs. My wife took some pictures of me and just like you, I realized I had to lose some weight. I'm not a gym person at all so I started working out at home to Insanity. I dropped to 179lbs after two months but soon after that, I got lazy again and went back up to 190. Three weeks ago I started working out to P90X3 and since then I've dropped 3 pounds. I'm trying to do mostly vegan but I throw in some cheese from time to time. Feel free to look at my diary. I don't have the healthiest meals but it's much better than what I was eating a year ago. I try to eat mostly organic foods. I use MFP only for nutrition and keep my fitness information separate. Feel free to add.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    lenehreut wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm a vegan (vegetarian two days a week) and I've just started back on MFP today.
    I've gained 20kg over the last two years, I'm a single mum and a university student.
    My diary is open, and for fitness I do anything I feel like haha I love to run, swim, walk and spin. But am now starting to work on strength.
    Feel free to add me if you feel we can motivate each other!!

I don't know how to access your meal plan... share photos if you can. Thanks
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Me, mostly but not always vegan, 27 years. Hello! Adjadj, adding actual beans to a smoothie is really nice and adds protein. Butter beans, white beans and even with a chocolate smoothie black beans are some of my favorites. Or a little PB2, if you don't mind the little bit of sugar.

Uh...just noticed this thread is 3 years old!