Remembering to calculate the little things

Options
I'm finding that sometime I have to go back and add an item that I just didn't think about. Like this morning I had waffles and until now completely forgot to input the sugar free syrup! Things like that I wonder how many people forget innocently things like that! Or salad dressings...It's easy to say I put in salad but then forgetting a topping that you might think is already calculated but really isn't!

What are things you all forget from time to time? Does it get easier as time goes on?

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I wasn't tracking the cooking spray I was using. For some reason, I thought it was free.
    Until I looked at the label.
    I was using probably 80 - 100 calories worth and 8 -10 g of fat each time!!!

I've also begun to track Crystal Light and the almond milk I use in my coffee. All items I've never bothered to pay attention to.

It ALL counts.

and yes, I think it gets easier.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    butter spray....
  • libertyj77
    Options
    It goes with the same thing too that most people "eyeball" thier serving sizes. Measure it! Measure it measure it!! You'd be surprized!! Butter counts, even if its just to toast your bread. Diet pop sometimes has to count and those flavor water packets. Splenda too. wow, wonder how many people this will change now..lol
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I tend to not track hot sauce. Though the sodium content in them does add up.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think about the cooling spray or oils that I cook with! Thanks for the info that will surely be helpful!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I forget the little bites of this and that while I'm making dinner or feeding the kids.
  • VictoriaMilanowski
    Options
    I'm having a hard time remembering to enter the things that I snack on with my son. Like earlier, I had one cube of cheese while I was getting some for his lunch. Well, not only is stuff like that hard to remember, but it's a pain to enter too... Like the one cracker with cream cheese I had when I fixed him some the other day... Of course, I know that I should really just stop doing that to begin with and then I'd eliminate two problems!! Now the times he makes a bite of his oatmeal fly into my mouth, it's just too cute to avoid, but the times I'm just doing it to do it, I've got to give it up!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't log things that are zero cals such as the nonstick cooking spray, hot sauce, garlic, diet soda, or pickles. Right now I'm not watching my sodium too closely though.

I found I've gotten better at remembering little things, and I use the Meals feature as much as possible so I have to remember less. When I make dinner I write down the ingredients as I use them so I don't forget.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh yes hot sauce! This is very eye opening the things that slip by!
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is why I undershoot my goal by a 100 calories or so each day to pick up that sort of stuff.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    or how about bee bopping around Costco and helping yourself to several samples uggghhhhhh
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    I don't always count all the tic tacs I might eat (5-10 a day) and I also don't always log the Poweraid I drink (0 cals but 100mg sodium) then again I'm not too worried about sodium yet.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As iIam making my meals for the day in the morning, I keep my phone in the kitchen and use the memo pad to note all of the things I will consume that day. I work behind a computer all day so I input everything I eat as I am eating it. That way, I don't miss a beat!!
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add croutons the other day and had to go back.
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    One thing I do love about the MFP app on my phone is the barcode scanner, scan the package & it's in my log.
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to always forget to put in the butter/oils/grease/etc. that I cook in. It killed me when I finally started inputting the bacon grease I use to cook my eggbeaters. 39 calories per tsp! Lol
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One thing I do love about the MFP app on my phone is the barcode scanner, scan the package & it's in my log.

OMG thats awesome. What kind of phone do you have?
  • pgp_protector
    Options

OMG thats awesome. What kind of phone do you have?

The Samsung Captivate, runs the Android OS.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Is this on the iphone app? I can't seem to find it??
  • pgp_protector
    Options

Is this on the iphone app? I can't seem to find it??

That's Apple for ya :)
    But seriously, I don't think the Apple Version has it yet.