i need to lose over 100 pounds and i need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great messages, everyone! I appreciate the support so much!
  • HealthyHabits2015
    Options
    i want this, i know i do.
    but for some reason, i can't get my head right.
    this is not new.
    this is my life.
    i start with great motivation and even see results.
    then i hit a wall and i'm off plan for soooo long.

i give in to cravings too easily.
    i don't push hard enough to do regular exercise.
    i give in to excuses, and eventually don't even try to reason with myself as to why i should go down the right/healthy path.

is there any way to change this behavior?
    has anyone been where i am and made it through, to the point of substantial weight loss/better health success?

I'm right there with you. All it takes is time, perseverance, dedication, hard work, and determination. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I lose motivation, I give in to cravings, I use excuses to not go to the gym.

It's called "It's easier to be lazy"

I'm trying to change it. Its tough.

Add me if you'd like.
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my advice for not giving in to a craving is to remember how you felt after you ate too much last time. if it was a bad feeling, physically or emotionally, remember it and hopefully it will be enough to avoid doing the same thing again. also, if it's stuff in your house that you're eating and maybe it's not the healthiest food, don't allow it in your house anymore. I've had to do that with a couple of things that I have no will power over. I wish I didn't have to avoid some things like that, but at this point, it's my only way, so I don't analyze it!

you can truly do it, but like a few others said, take it day by day, and try to make changes little by little. if you change too much too soon, it may become overwhelming and you won't want to continue.

good luck!!
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh - don't get me started on this one.
    my boyfriend's mother ALWAYS brings junk here.
    she takes our son overnight sometimes and when she brings him home, she also brings...
    a bag or oreos, a bag of chocolate chip cookies, a giant bag of cheesies, a 2L jug of chocolate milk - minimum!

it drives me because she is not doing any favors for my son sending him home with all that.
    plus it's me that eats the majority!
    i'm tempted to throw it all out when she brings it, but i feel bad.
    also, if it's stuff in your house that you're eating and maybe it's not the healthiest food, don't allow it in your house anymore. I've had to do that with a couple of things that I have no will power over. I
  • Itsmeash1
    Itsmeash1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I am on my way to losing 100lbs and it's not been easy! It's taken me a year but I'm almost at the half way mark.

The hardest thing for me to was to actually admit to myself that my eating habits weren't healthy and that I didn't look good, feel confident nor was I hiding my unhappiness. Once I got to that stage, it was as if I had flipped a switch and I actually found myself craving salad and veg and not pizza and chips as I had been.

But saying this, when I do have those cravings, I don't indulge near as much as I used to; I'd share a pizza with my boyfriend or have oven chips, not take away ones.

One of my biggest bits of advice for anyone who is wanting to shift the lbs is this - spend a little bit of money, or ask at your gym, for a 1 hour personal trainer session, dedicated to weight training and come up with a fun and achievable exercise routine based on weights. I'd say that I saw the biggest change on the scales and a drop in the inches around my waist, when I started weight training.

It might just be me but give it ago for a week and see how you get on, coz there's no bigger motivation that seeing the lbs fall on the scale :)

Good luck, and feel free to add me if!
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is easy to resolve. .... When Grandma walks out the door throw out the trash. You can try a conversation first but if that dosent work then rather getting into a fight over just trash it. Why feel bad about it? Your family and food you don't want around. Just make sure she is aware and that will curb it. My Mother in Law gives my kids junk and I am fine with it in SMALL quantities. If she came in the door with what you just described she would be leaving with it... or leave knowing that its going to end up in the trash!

:wink:

she takes our son overnight sometimes and when she brings him home, she also brings...
    a bag or oreos, a bag of chocolate chip cookies, a giant bag of cheesies, a 2L jug of chocolate milk - minimum!

it drives me because she is not doing any favors for my son sending him home with all that.
    also, if it's stuff in your house that you're eating and maybe it's not the healthiest food, don't allow it in your house anymore. I've had to do that with a couple of things that I have no will power over. I
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. If you fee comfortable doing so, it's probably easiest to have a conversation with her about it. I think a lot of people think that by providing food, they're providing love. She must not know what it's doing to you. Nicely explain the changes you are trying to make in your life, and also point out that your child doesn't need that amount of junk food either. You can say that the gesture is appreciated, but maybe she can cut it down to sending him home with a tiny treat, like a little candy bar or something. Or she can start incorporating healthier items in with the junk to balance it out. Good luck!! (of course if this doesn't work, you can always let your child have a bite, yourself have a bite, and then throw out the rest (bulk) of it. you can then say you each enjoyed it a bit and maybe won't feel as bad?
    This is easy to resolve. .... When Grandma walks out the door throw out the trash. You can try a conversation first but if that dosent work then rather getting into a fight over just trash it. Why feel bad about it? Your family and food you don't want around. Just make sure she is aware and that will curb it. My Mother in Law gives my kids junk and I am fine with it in SMALL quantities. If she came in the door with what you just described she would be leaving with it... or leave knowing that its going to end up in the trash!

:wink:

• AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    have any of you ever had a relentless nagging craving for unhealthy food?
    it plays in your head over and over...reminding you how badly you want the unhealthy food.
    the voice that says..."get it, it will be so good", "you can restart tomorrow", "you're tired - a burger is easier than making supper".
    i mean constant nagging, to the point that you give in just to stop the reasoning.
    am i alone in this?

I used to have them ALL the time. My biggest weakness are instant kimchi noodles. Or stuff with melted cheese.
    And sometimes I give him to the "restart tomorrow" idea. But what works best for me is to plan for the next day the night/day before, and figure out something easy to make for all my meals, that's healthy and (this is the key, I've found) that I actually ENJOY.

For me a go to is lentil soup, since it's a high protein and fiber, low calorie meal that I find satisfying and also delicious. So once I make it, I know that I will eat it for the next few days happily.

IN terms of other people bringing Junk, I personally have told me roommate not to share her Junk food with me, because unlike her, I am incapable of managing my portions of chips.

Good luck! And feel free to add me if you're looking for MFP firends.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    you can do it
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 12 lbs so far, and it's taken me a year. The bulk of this has been just getting myself into the right head space, finding ways to keep myself motivated, working through my relationship with food, and working through the reasons why I constantly start and stop. It takes time and patience. It's not for everyone, but I went the therapy route, which has helped so much. I learned how to manage my stress and practiced combating negative thoughts that were at the root of my stalling. A year ago, I didn't think losing weight was ever going to be possible, now I know it is. I take it day by day, meal by meal. The small changes I started making have added up and now I'm seeing the results. I never thought they would.

I think back to all the times I started and stopped--how I felt when I had regained the weight I lost and how much further I could've been in my journey if I had just pushed myself that one extra step--and use it as motivation for the present.

In teaching, there's a concept called meeting students at their level of readiness, and I think the same is true for weight loss. Look at your patterns and determine what things hold you back from weight loss and make small changes to address them. I.e, instead of 2lbs a week, start with 1lb. If you don't like exercise, focus on the eating first and get that to a manageable place and then work in exercise later...the point is, don't feel like you have to do everything in the beginning. I often did this and felt overwhelmed...it was too much change at once and wasn't realistic for me.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    Hey!!

No fear, we have got your back my friend!! I could give you LOADS of suggestions if you are interested via phone or something, but I'd have to saw that you need to connect with your WHY. It needs to be so strong that it makes you cry! What is it that you REALLY want, and why is it so important to you? What would change in your life if you lost those 100 pounds? Ask yourself these questions and really VISUALIZE it. SEE yourself 100 pounds lighter. What does that FEEL like. Make it your reality! Post your goals somewhere where you can see them. Right positive affirmations about yourself all over your house.

Also, read some personal development. I suggest: The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy and The Slight Edge. GREAT books that will help you so much. Read for 30 minutes a day and it will change your perspective.

As for the cravings, water helps a TON, but if your body is craving something, it simply isn't getting enough of the nutrients that it needs. Otherwise it wouldn't be craving!

What is your support system like? do you have family and friends to support you? Have you ever looked for a coach of any sort to help support you in your goals!!

Here for you!! <3
  • 321icandothis
    321icandothis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome to MFP!! It's a great place to get support.

I had 130 lbs to lose at the beginning of this journey and now I'm down 30 lbs and have 100 to go.

Some advice I'd like to give you is not to deprive yourself of anything. You can still have sweets and delicious carbs, although some would disagree, but losing the weight is really a matter of portion control. If you burn more calories than you take in you will loose weight. Even if all of those calories are cookies, but I wouldn't recommend that haha.
    For a first step get the calorie counting down ( I highly recommend a food scale for this they are wonderful and not too speedy ) You can still eat the foods you crave just less of them. Then, Once your able to stay with in your weight loss calories with those foods, start to try and get a hold on the nutrition part. Replace a fast food meal with a salad once or twice a week. Eventually it ll become routine and you ll probably stop craving the bad food as much. Going slowly and Taking baby steps helps the lifestyle change to not feel so overwhelming. You can remind yourself that this is not a race and you will have really successful days and some not so successful ones. That's ok, just keep going. Get in the mindset of this being a lifestyle change, not a diet, so you can prepare yourself to be in this for the long haul. Also don't underestimate your strength. When you crave to binge on something, remind yourself that your strong, and you can do this. You really can! The first many times will be difficult but it will get easier. Prepare for some difficult times like that, but know that you will over come them.

I wish you all the luck on your journey!!
  • 321icandothis
    321icandothis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome to MFP!! It's a great place to get support.

I had 130 lbs to lose at the beginning of this journey and now I'm down 30 lbs and have 100 to go.

Some advice I'd like to give you is not to deprive yourself of anything. You can still have sweets and delicious carbs, although some would disagree, but losing the weight is really a matter of portion control. If you burn more calories than you take in you will loose weight. Even if all of those calories are cookies, but I wouldn't recommend that haha.
    For a first step get the calorie counting down ( I highly recommend a food scale for this they are wonderful and not too speedy ) You can still eat the foods you crave just less of them. Then, Once your able to stay with in your weight loss calories with those foods, start to try and get a hold on the nutrition part. Replace a fast food meal with a salad once or twice a week. Eventually it ll become routine and you ll probably stop craving the bad food as much. Going slowly and Taking baby steps helps the lifestyle change to not feel so overwhelming. You can remind yourself that this is not a race and you will have really successful days and some not so successful ones. That's ok, just keep going. Get in the mindset of this being a lifestyle change, not a diet, so you can prepare yourself to be in this for the long haul. Also don't underestimate your strength. When you crave to binge on something, remind yourself that your strong, and you can do this. You really can! The first many times will be difficult but it will get easier. Prepare for some difficult times like that, but know that you will over come them.

I wish you all the luck on your journey!!

Woopss, I realize you joined in 2011, so instead of welcome...welcome back!!! Also all that advice is how I keep pushing through, and hopefully some of it is helpful to you. Deep breaths, you can do this!!!!