Finally smiling when I see pics of myself

Options
yc4king
yc4king Posts: 117 Member
I don't really have a long story. I've been fat all my life and I always blamed it on genetics. Around 25 I finally woke up and realized it wasn't genetics, it was being lazy and eating like a pig. Even after realizing that it took another 9 years to actually do something about it.

I lost quite a bit of weight about 10 years ago shortly after the pic on the far left, met my wife, then gained most of it back. At my heaviest I was about 300lbs. When I started this time I was around 250, today I bounce from 188 - 190. This morning I got dressed and looked in the mirror and thought "wow, i can't believe that's me" and I just felt like I wanted to share my transformation.

This time it's forever, I didn't "go on a diet", I changed my life. Food no longer controls me, and it's no longer what I turn to for comfort when times are tough.

I also took up running this june and love it. I went on my first run mid june and I couldn't go more than about 1km before needing to take a break. When I finally made my first 5k without any walking I was doing about a 6:30/km pace. Fast forward a running filled summer I ran my first half marathon on Sept 20th and finished in 1:59:42, under 2 hours! I was really proud of making that time after only 3 months of running. Next year I plan to make it in 1:45:00.

Pic on the far left is around 300lbs, XXL shirts and 44" waist pants were barely fitting any more, on the verge of moving up to 46.
Pic on the far right today is 189lbs, a M shirt and 33" waist pants :D

15200778339_044819255e.jpg

Replies

• orpingman
    orpingman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! Love the fact it is a lifestyle and not a "diet".
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Wow, u look way younger in your last photo than u did 10 years ago, well done!
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    amazing transformation!!! *proud of you*
  • lisa81266
    lisa81266 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome job!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you were 24 in the first picture and 34 in the last one? It should be the other way around. :glasses:
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I definitely feel younger!
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That is insane. And I see your hair grew back too??? There's hope for me yet then! Lol
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Love the attitude inside and out.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Its like you get younger in each picture! Congrats on your success and making it a successful lifestyle!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow what a difference. I am like you, no longer go to comfort myself with food. I think being aware is the most of it, I think I am going to work this out and not eat. It has made a big difference. You are an inspiration, looking good.
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for Sharing - this is awesome - well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juicer82
    Juicer82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Congratulations!!!
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Job well done and I know you feel ten times better. Inspiration!
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you look fantastic! I have come to love running as well. I can't wait to get to the point of a half marathon! But then again, I said the same thing about running a 5K and now I have done three 5K races and have a new personal best of 6.3 miles (but just out in personal training).

You totally rock. Keep it up!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    That is insane. And I see your hair grew back too??? There's hope for me yet then! Lol

lol!

but yeah! great job! you look awesome
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That is a crazy transformation! Great job! You look so much younger in the last photo.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Wow! I smile when I see a photo of you, too! :wink:

Great work!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and have the absolute right attitude about lifestyle change and not a diet! You deserve to be proud and we at MFP are encouraged and proud of you too!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    WOW! You have much to smile about for sure! Great work and best of luck on your next 1/2 marathon! I'm sure you will rock it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!