Be Careful Trusting Nutrition Info in Database

Options
I've had to change the calories (increase) and a few other nutritional values (up and down) based on current packaging on at least 3 different items. I don't always check the package but I might start doing it more. The increases are generally no more than 20 calories or so but every little bit counts, right?

Have a healthy day! =)

Replies

• nezeray
    nezeray Posts: 34
    Options
    I've also noticed some people just put in calories and fat. "Wow, these potato chips don't have any sodium!" :(

James
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I dont think the exercise cals are always right either
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    I found this to be true the other day when I had 2 tbsp of peanut butter and it came up as 210 calories when it's only 190.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I've had to change the calories (increase) and a few other nutritional values (up and down) based on current packaging on at least 3 different items. I don't always check the package but I might start doing it more. The increases are generally no more than 20 calories or so but every little bit counts, right?

Have a healthy day! =)

Same here. It's probably because what was previously a normal package size has decreased because of the recession (so only a small change in calories) - I work in packaging so I know this first-hand!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Very true, I always double check for "confirmations" which is other people that have said those nutritional facts are right. Always best to check the label though :)
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i try to include a 100 calorie buffer in my day where if MFP says 2080 cals, I shoot for 1980.

Id rather be lower than tracked than over.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Isn't that "Edit" button great on the "nutrition" page! ;)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The nutritional information is only as good as we, the site users, enter. It is our responsibility to check the information on packaging labels. It is not off by far and I don't think is has any big consequence. You can enter calories by using the quick tools.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    for a fact! I don't believe exercise calories are accurate. Just based on my own experience!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes there are many duplicates and several incorrect ones - I really wish we could stop the duplication but that’s for the suggestion thread.

Regarding lower calories it also depends on where you are from. Many items such as cereals have different caloric content whether the cereal was bought in Canada or the US. At first I thought it was a certain ingredient that was used in the US food that was banned in Canada but after I contacted GM it's actually a different calculation that is used. Example foods: Fiber One Original cereal in Canada has 100 calories per ½ cup, in the US it's 60. Kellogg’s Fiber Plus bars have 4g fiber in Canada and 9g in the US. Same ingredients, virtually the same recipe (variations would depend on country of origin of ingredients - very minor) different calculation of calories and fiber.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options

You know that you can change the calories that come up on MFP when you enter exercises right? I do it every time and go by the equipment in the gym as I have then entered in my height and weight.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    for a fact! I don't believe exercise calories are accurate. Just based on my own experience!

so do you think they are higher then what it says or lower? Or just plain off?
  • scrapjones
    scrapjones Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I would have to agree with you... one day I ran, a lot, and the HR watch I wear says I burned about 1200 and this site said almost 1900 cals! That is a HUGE difference... REally bites when you don't know if what you're logging is actually correct. :(