I burn like a wet matchstick

Options
Hi everyone,

I am after advice and a chance for a mini rant. I seem to burn very little when i work out. I went for a 90 min cycle yesterday, i rode at a good pace and a mixture of up hill/down hill, i set my Endomondo to my height/weight/age etc and found I only had burnt a measly 400 calories.

I like to skate on our seafront, i walk 30 mins at a good pace, an hour of skating and then another 30 mins home, once again the burn is small and comes in around 380 cals for 2 hours of hard slogging. I am 154cm, currently 51.3kg and only really workout so i can eat more (my tdee is crap too thanks to being small).

Some of my MFP buddies burn this amount for 45 mins of walking, i do understand that everyone is different due to shapes and sizes. I really want to burn more so i can eat more, any ideas or suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will log there exercise calories by adding the exercise on MFP. It is just an estimate, not a true reading of what they burned and a lot of time it is grossly over the actual burn.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Chances are, your MFP friends are grossly over estimating their burns. (either by guessing or just using the MFP database, which is usually wildly high)

400 calories for 90 mins cycling sounds realistic to me. Very heavy/overweight people will burn more calories during exercise than a smaller person too, so if you're small, your expenditure will burn fewer than your bigger friends.

Do you wear a HRM to figure out your burns?
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. You're not going to get the instant massive extra calories that you're after, but it will help your resting metabolism, allowing you to eat a bit more without fat gains!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I just like the "burn like a wet matchstick" phrase, thanks for making my Monday!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates are generally too high and people who rely on them solely are likely overestimating their burn. If you are wearing an HRM, that will be a much closer read.

We don't burn as much as we think when we exercise. One of the reasons why people have a hard time losing weight when they incorporate exercise is because they overestimate the burn and eat too much. Or say, "I just ran 5k, so I can eat whatever I want," which isn't really true at all. A 5k run for me only burns 500 calories.

Exercise has fantastic benefits, including calorie burns, but the average person cannot out exercise a bad diet.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Chances are, your MFP friends are grossly over estimating their burns. (either by guessing or just using the MFP database, which is usually wildly high)

400 calories for 90 mins cycling sounds realistic to me. Very heavy/overweight people will burn more calories during exercise than a smaller person too, so if you're small, your expenditure will burn fewer than your bigger friends.

Do you wear a HRM to figure out your burns?

Thank you for your reply. No i haven't purchased a HRM yet but am looking into it. I just use the Endomondo app on my Blackberry. I noticed if i enter my gym workouts on MFP it is always well over what the gym equipment states so tend to round down.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're small. (US units you're 5' tall and 113 pounds). you're not going to be burning a lot of calories because you don't have to move as much weight as some of us.

to get the most accurate burns, you will need a heart rate monitor.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Start lifting. You're not going to get the instant massive extra calories that you're after, but it will help your resting metabolism, allowing you to eat a bit more without fat gains!

Lifting does help you burn more calories at rest and there are a lot of great body comp benefits from lifting.

That said, this approach is dangerous. There's no good way to measure the burn from lifting and most people will end up eating too much.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Doing exercises for the sole purpose of what the burn is or may be would drive me insane. Find something you like to do and stick with it.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Options
    I just like the "burn like a wet matchstick" phrase, thanks for making my Monday!

Lol! Thank you, i thought it up yesterday!
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    You burn less because you are not that heavy. Many of the people on this site are overweight and a good bit taller than you. Simple laws of physics dictate that it will take more energy to move them the same distance at the same speed than it will take you.

My boyfriend is almost 70 lbs heavier than me, 9" taller than me, and burns way way more calories than me when we run together. It's just a downside of being short and not heavy. I'd rather burn less calories on my run than be overweight and burn more on the same run though.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, being small, we just don't burn as much as a bigger person. Just like we can't eat the same amount as a bigger person due to lower BMR/TDEE. Just a fact of life. It doesn't mean you shouldn't keep doing what you're doing. Great job being active!.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    you're small.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think MFP can be just as much of a detriment as a benefit. I love having friends' support as I work toward better health and fitness, but when I see their burns and losses on my feed I get a little jealous. In fact my post for today was short and sweet: "Today's challenge: stop comparing my results to others'." I know I'm in a different place than many of my friends, because I'm working on more strength and less cardio, and I'm super close to my goal weight and not losing at all right now. Comparison is a motivation killer. Compare your results to the ones you got yesterday and the day before, not to the person next to you. And I'm saying that to myself as much as to you! :happy:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Lifting does help you burn more calories at rest and there are a lot of great body comp benefits from lifting.

That said, this approach is dangerous. There's no good way to measure the burn from lifting and most people will end up eating too much.

you can figure it out by monitoring your weight gain/loss over a period of time while logging how many calories you eat. Anyone who's ever done a bulk cycle while logging their food intake will know at what kind of calorie numbers they maintain and at what numbers they start to gain weight. So I don't see where the danger is to be honest, so long as you're logging accurately and monitoring whether your weight is moving in the direction you want it to move in.

In my experience (which includes the experience of friends on my friends list etc here that I converse with a lot) a lot of women tend to underestimate how much they burn when lifting, and when it comes to switching from cutting to bulking for the first time, are often surprised at how much they need to eat to start gaining

example: calorie calculators say I should maintain around 1500-1800 cals/day (depending on the calculator) - reality is last time I was doing cutting/bulking cycles, I had to eat 2100 cals/day to maintain and more like 2300 cals/day for bulking. I'm not very tall and wasn't that active, as in I didn't do cardio and spent a lot of the day sitting.. but I was doing stronglifts 3x a week.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've met you in real life...you're tiny :smile:

When I had a working HRM, I burned around 350 calories in a hardcore 45 minute hardcore spinning class, and I was around 155lbs at 5'6, so 400 for your cycle doesn't seem too bad. A HRM would be more accurate than the app thing you use, so chances are that you burn more.

I also see people on MFP who burn a lot more than I do for similar exercise, and also people who eat a lot more and still lose. No point comparing though.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Options
    Sometimes I think MFP can be just as much of a detriment as a benefit. I love having friends' support as I work toward better health and fitness, but when I see their burns and losses on my feed I get a little jealous. In fact my post for today was short and sweet: "Today's challenge: stop comparing my results to others'." I know I'm in a different place than many of my friends, because I'm working on more strength and less cardio, and I'm super close to my goal weight and not losing at all right now. Comparison is a motivation killer. Compare your results to the ones you got yesterday and the day before, not to the person next to you. And I'm saying that to myself as much as to you! :happy:

Thank you, this is good advice and u have had an amazing loss (not that i am comparing or anything)
  • PRMinx
    Options

you can figure it out by monitoring your weight gain/loss over a period of time while logging how many calories you eat. Anyone who's ever done a bulk cycle while logging their food intake will know at what kind of calorie numbers they maintain and at what numbers they start to gain weight. So I don't see where the danger is to be honest, so long as you're logging accurately and monitoring whether your weight is moving in the direction you want it to move in.

In my experience (which includes the experience of friends on my friends list etc here that I converse with a lot) a lot of women tend to underestimate how much they burn when lifting, and when it comes to switching from cutting to bulking for the first time, are often surprised at how much they need to eat to start gaining

example: calorie calculators say I should maintain around 1500-1800 cals/day (depending on the calculator) - reality is last time I was doing cutting/bulking cycles, I had to eat 2100 cals/day to maintain and more like 2300 cals/day for bulking. I'm not very tall and wasn't that active, as in I didn't do cardio and spent a lot of the day sitting.. but I was doing stronglifts 3x a week.

You're right. Instead of no good way, I should have said no easy way. For people who are really dedicated to monitoring this closely, it can be done. But not everyone has the tools or dedication to know as much as your friends who are going through bulking/cutting cycles. Heck, I'm pretty into fitness and I don't even want to get into all that.

My comment was geared towards people who aren't as advanced or knowledgeable about burns. If you don't really understand it, or what your body is burning, it's dangerous to say "I can eat more because I'm lifting," without really knowing how much more.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Options

When I had a working HRM, I burned around 350 calories in a hardcore 45 minute hardcore spinning class, and I was around 155lbs at 5'6, so 400 for your cycle doesn't seem too bad. A HRM would be more accurate than the app thing you use, so chances are that you burn more.

I also see people on MFP who burn a lot more than I do for similar exercise, and also people who eat a lot more and still lose. No point comparing though.

Thank you Dawn, ur the queen of working out! xx
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Thank you Dawn, ur the queen of working out! xx

Lol yes! I'm just thinking how I was 2 days from my due date when I met you so you probably seemed even smaller since I resembled a beached whale haha. X