Workout ideas?

Options
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice for my workout schedule. I'm 197 right now, looking to go to 180 and hopefully develop some abs and some muscle. My plan as of now is to lift for 10-12 minutes (bench press, squat with Dumbbells, calf raises etc) and then go on a 2 mile run and then do core work when I finish the run (crunches, planks, wall sits, bicycles).

Does this plan lead me to being successful? Or is there something I can change to make my time more worthwhile?

Also, my goal is to get marathon prepped.

Thanks!

Replies

• NYfirefighter
    Options
    With your plans and motivation I suggest a visit to www.stewsmith.com
    He got a ton of info, tips and workout ideas
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Check out Tony Horton's YouTube channel. Its full of great short workouts.
    www.youtube.com/user/TonyHortonFitnessTV

Allan
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're also prepping for a marathon, do explosive leg moves including plyometrics. That's how I prepped for a Tough Mudder and I killed it.

Allan
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It takes me 15 minutes just to bench...just sayin.
  • redman1740
    redman1740 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You may also want to look into getting with a trainer. Not one of those guys at the gym, but an actual person that will develop a plan for you and what goals you have in mind. Look on craigslist for a local person, they aren't that expensive and will get you right. Next, look at your nutrition as abs are developed in the kitchen. Check out some online ways of eating clean, what to buy and how to prepare it. If you are prepping for a marathon, a 2 mile run isn't going to cut it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    "abs are developed in the kitchen"
    No, they get revealed in the kitchen. Lots of six packs are hiding under a thick layer of tummy fat. For example, Hafthor Bjornsson. You might have seen him as the Mountain in Game of Thrones.
    But you want to build those abs, that takes working out...in what ever form that takes for you.
  • stbakes
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify that the two mile run is just the start. I should have clarified that I'm going to keep making the runs longer each week. But thanks for the advice about the trainer!