Sugar detox question

Options
OK, I am planning to do a 1 week sugar detox (starting after my child's birthday early next week because- I am being realistic!) and I know to cut out processed sugar and anything with sugar (in all its forms) in the ingredients but does that include skim milk? Do most people just avoid milk for the entire detox and just take calcium supplements?

Anything else I should be on the lookout for as far as sneaky sources of sugar to avoid?

Replies

• melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I avoided milk when doing mine. Although the sugar in milk is not like processed sugar, I just didn't feel like taking the chance.

I basically stuck with real food the whole time. No breads, pasta, etc. Veggies, lean protein, real cheeses [not Velveeta], and lower glycemic fruit like cherries and strawberries, but never any fruit juices. And lots of water! You'll feel sick for a few days while you're detoxing, almost like you're getting the flu, but once it passes, you will feel amazing.
  • freyasaur
    Options
    I have never done a specific sugar detox myself, but i know many friends who cut out sugar from their diet. Its nearly impossible to completly cut sugar out entierly from your diet. I think it takes around 5 days for the body to detox from the sugar, and craving or desire for sugar drops drasticly after. You will see traces in almost everything - bread, sometimes milk, cereal, currys etc. the reason one of my friends (and old housemate) stopped eating sugar was that she was recovering from anorexia, and sugar and refined flowers are trigger foods for people with eating disorders. She explained it all to me, so that i could help monitor her at home. She was advised not to eat anything where sugar was of a high %, that said reduced sugar (suggests there is still sugar) or above the 6th ingredient. Look for things that say sugar free. There are many alternative jams etc that are sugar free, and are just sweetened with natural sugars, such as fruit. Hope this helps, and good luck! xx
  • DnAmommy
    DnAmommy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So do you think I should try to do it for 2 weeks? I was planning to try a 1 week detox and then gradually try to add it back in but would I be better off to do 2? I know that I can't avoid sugar forever but if the "flu-like" symptoms are that bad, is it better to just push through and extend the detox?
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I just came off a week long detox. I cut out all proccess sugars and consumed only pure honey for the first 2 days. I was very tired and sleepish for those 2 days, but by day 3 I didn't even crave sweets so I cut even the honey out. I feel great now -ready to get on with my weight loss!