running in the winter

Options
I am on a roll. have my diet under control (for now) and i run 4-5 times per week (mornings, about 45 min each session). over last 2 months i got totally hooked on running. The cold weather is on the way and i really want to keep running a the same rate. Are they any experienced runners that can share their strategies for running in the cold/rainy/snowy weather. i want to keep up with my routine.

Thanks

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Depending on how cold it gets, layer up with wick proof tops, a fleece hat, plus mittens to keep those hands warm. You can get away with a long sleeve wicking top and leggings in 45 degree (with no wind) weather and will feel pretty warm. Add a light windproof jacket on those cold and windy days. Unfortunately, I don't like running in the rain so can't give you an answer to rainproof outfits.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't run on slick ice or if it's raining and under 40 degrees. You'll be miserable. Everything else is a-okay. Just dress in layers. Mostly it's about keeping your hands, head, and ears warm. I still wear shorts down to about 30 degrees but you'll want to add leggings when it's getting colder than that. For my top layer I add a long sleeve over a tank when it's down around 40. Sooner if it's windy. Half the time I take it off by the end of the run and just tie it around my waist.

You should feel cold the first mile or you're overdressed.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I too am a new runner that would like to keep running when it gets colder. Appreciate all the responses.
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would say to hit up your locale running store. Also it is easy to over dress; add about 10 to 15 degrees to what the weather looks like toward the end of your run and dress for that. I have some Cold gear from under armor; running tights, shirts, hat and some gloves. I also have one of those things you wear around your neck ( Belva-something-or-other), its not sung or tight fitting, but helps hold the heat when it is very cold. I wear a golf rain shirt if its raining and very cool or cold. when it gets to about 38 or so it is just cold, maybe not uncomfortably cold, but still cold the whole run. when you dress right even low 40 will not feel bad after you warm up.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've ran in weather as cold as -20C. It wasn't that bad. I just wore the right clothing. However, I will not run on soft snow. You can sprain your ankle. If it's cold-packed snow, make you wear a good pair of winter running shoes.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of cold weather running pants.
    Buy a cold weather compression top
    Buy a lightweight compression top
    Buy a wind/water proof jacket.
    Buy running gloves and ear protection.

It is best to run wearing layers. For example, when it was 36'F and I ran 10 miles, I would wear a lightweight compression shirt with another lightweight shirt over that. Generally, as you are running, your body will feel like it is about 10 degrees warmer than it actually is.

As the temperatures begin to drop, log the temperature, what you wore, the distance run, and how you felt. This will help you in the future to decide what to wear for running outdoors at various temperatures.

Stay off icy roads.

I tend to stay out of the rain when it gets below 50'F, and I do not run at all when it dips below 15'F.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's a wonderful tool from Runners World: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    Input a few details: gender, temperature, weather conditions
    It will suggest proper clothing for you!

If you live in an area that's prone to icy conditions, be very careful, not just because you might slip and fall, but if you run on roads, cars may also lose control.

Have fun!
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Layer up, keep your ears and hands warm (beanie and gloves) and make sure you warm up properly.

I wear a thin fleece gilet when its really cold (not sure of temps, but cold enough to freeze water). I've never been one for thick joggers, I prefer the latex type running trousers (ron-hills anyone?, almost like yoga pants I guess) and long sleeve tops under my normal running gear, I tend to go for the thin "runners gloves" type, rather than woollies.

I find once I am warmed up I'm usually too warm, so try not to go overboard and am usually a little cold when I first step outside, as I know I will soon be sweating once I get moving.
  • olgasgarden
    olgasgarden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. i really appreciate everyone's input. it is good too see that there is a consistent set of suggestions coming from an experienced crowd.
    Thanks
    Keep running :)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Winter running is fun. What state do you live in?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Proper gear. I don't run, but I ride and it requires the appropriate gear. If it's too nasty out though, I turn indoors and spin...or in your case treadmill would probably be the solution.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I prefer the latex type running trousers (ron-hills anyone?, almost like yoga pants I guess)
    Latex? I meant Lycra! Latex is a whole different outfit that's got nothing to do with running :embarassed:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for winter running gear is to dress as if it's 15-20 degrees warmer than it actually is.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so not looking forward to this! I live at 7200 feet and winter is looooong and brutal here. And they don't plow the streets.

The only way I've kept running through the winters is to find a gym with an indoor track. Running laps isn't as fun as running outside, but it's not as bad as on a treadmill and you don't have to deal with ice / snow / wind / freezing your *kitten* off.

But if your winters aren't too bad, just experiment a bit. Long sleeves, running tights, light gloves, and an ear warmer is what I use in moderate cold. It's fine to start off chilly because you're really warm up a few minutes in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    <=====in this picture it was about -35C and you can clearly see that even at that temperature I was perspiring running a half marathon.

Dressing for winter running takes a little trial an error. You don't want to be overdressed, you should be a little chilly at the start of the run, if not you'll probably overheat. Dress in layers with wicking materials, cover your head and (depending how wet conditions are) consider investing in some gore-tex trail shoes to keep your feet dry.

To give you en example of how I dress for extremely cold weather......merino wool socks & merino wool base layer (light, warm and wool stays warm even when wet), running tights (more for wind protection - I'll wear shorts down to about freezing but I'm Canadian, eh), long sleeve running shirt , polartec fleece top covered by a running shell, glove & toque. I also have a balaclava that I may use a very few times a year when it's really cold.