What Have You Learned About Yourself?

Options
This week I did 2 things I spent most of my life thinking I couldn't do.

I lifted weights and went running. Not a big deal to some. But to me, priceless.

What have you discovered on your journey that you can do that you didn't think you could before?

Replies

• TheWorstHorse
    Options
    believe it or not... moderation. my strategy for pretty much anything was some combination of "go as hard as you can" and "ready/shoot/aim" which actually doesn't always work out so well. so learning how to slowly change my diet to reflect the realities of being in my fifties and slowly rebuild my body after two years of accidents and illness has been eye opening.

the lessons about slow and steady progress that i am learning here i am finding to be really helpful in lots of other areas of my life. and that's really friggin' cool.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That Ive become capable of more than I ever thought possible.

What I used to think was impossible is now happening, and its coming from just being consistent in what I eat and what I do on a daily basis.

The biggest unanticpated benefit is that the discpilne Ive learned seems to be spreading to other areas of my lfe.

Since lack of sef-discipline was a personal weakness Id already identifed, this benefit is paying off in a lot of other areas.

In short? My life is simpler and more fulfilling than it ever has been. Hope this answers the question :)
  • mellyw78
    mellyw78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my day/week etc does not have to revolve around food. It's an important part, but not the most important.

I used to snack out of boredom but now I think more about my snacks. I also used to serve myself a bigger portion than I really needed, without realising the calorific consequences. Now, by eating the right foods in the right quantities - and at the right times of the day - I get through a day without "thinking" I am hungry simply because I'm bored. I am sated. I feel good. I eat less in volume than I used to and I am losing weight. It's awesome :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it's possible for me to be present in the moment with other people without adjusting my clothes or endlessly worrying about my posture/body position, and not freaking out if a full body or candid photo/video is taken. I'm not thin by any means, but for me being at my current weight means a huge level of ease and comfort with my body and that's pretty monumental for me because I have not had that since I was ten or eleven years old.
  • jayvee589
    jayvee589 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First, that, by starting in moderation and building up slowly,I'm creating a massive wave of healthy energy and rapid recovery, which is now surprising me by the steady and easy progress that I perceive myself accomplishing, on a daily basis. Lots of small details, but, they add up. I find MyFitnessPal a great tool, which, combined to scales (for my food and my bodyweight) plus a spring loaded caliper, help me to really focus on achieving my goal. I find the need for cheating with food and alcohol greatly decreased since I now feel "sated" and "satiated" with my food regimen. My training is now extremely efficient, and it really pays off! It's very interesting to note how people now react to me and my appearance... Some are extremely enthusiastic with my progress...Especially younger people... People my age (mid-fifties and up) are pretending not to notice, but, it's very odd to them...Instead of getting old and slowing down, they say I look younger and I know I'm "speeding up"! According to their logic about life, there's something wrong with me!:wink:
  • Christineclendaniel
    Options
    There is so much I have learned and I am sure so much more I will learn.

I have learned that I love to work out so hard that I am dripping in sweat and that the harder I push myself the more amazing I feel.

I have learned that I am beautiful and I have learned to love myself...and that loving myself is way more important than anyone else loving me.

Really I could go on and on....but to me, the above are the most important.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've learned I can love myself no matter my size, and that it's ok to love myself, because my opinion about myself is the only opinion that matters :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    That I am stronger than I ever thought.
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This week I did 2 things I spent most of my life thinking I couldn't do.

I lifted weights and went running. Not a big deal to some. But to me, priceless.

What have you discovered on your journey that you can do that you didn't think you could before?

I started running this week as well. I began with C25K and was so happy I could even complete day 1 week 1. It was a great feeling.
  • melbot2point0
    melbot2point0 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm just under a week into my journey but I have learned that I CAN make good choices when it comes to food. I have self-control and I am able to say no, especially now that I can visually see how many calories I am eating.
    I have never been one to want to get up and go out for a walk or run, but now that I have I've realized that I actually enjoy it. Who knew?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    That Ive become capable of more than I ever thought possible.

What I used to think was impossible is now happening, and its coming from just being consistent in what I eat and what I do on a daily basis.

The biggest unanticpated benefit is that the discpilne Ive learned seems to be spreading to other areas of my lfe.

Since lack of sef-discipline was a personal weakness Id already identifed, this benefit is paying off in a lot of other areas.

In short? My life is simpler and more fulfilling than it ever has been. Hope this answers the question :)

well said ^^^ discipline :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more will power than I thought I did. I challenged myself to go 30 days with no added sugar. Obviously, I'm still consuming naturally occurring sugars in fruits and veg, but I have not consumed sugary drinks, cookies, candy or anything with added sugar for 26 days. I've never gone this long without added sugar, so I'm very pleased that I only have 4 more days to go. The funny thing is, I don't think I'm going to go berserk on Day 31. I might allow myself a treat, but now that I know I have the will power to resist these things, I just don't feel that strong of an urge.
  • Shirotora88
    Options
    I learned I can walk 2 hours straight at dog paced mode.. Never thought I could walk that far