Trying a new approach and need tips

Options
JGT2004
JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
So I've been here a while and have tried lots of things. I've had success in the past working out like crazy but don't have the time/schedule to workout that much. I don't have access to a gym so my workouts consist of running outside or on a treadmill doing C25k and a mix of 30-45 minute workout videos (Jillian micheals, T25, etc).

I've tried doing the TDEE method to calculate my calories in the past and struggled to stay consistent. I just got a Jawbone UP to help me stay motivated to move and to help me be more aware of my idleness.

My stats:
5'6"
28 years old
184 lb
Work a desk job

Here is where I need help, I ust got a Jawbone UP and am using all 3 apps. I went for a bike ride this morning using MapMyRun and used the stopwatch on the UP to log it. Now I'm afraid it's double counting my workout. Anyone have any tips or explanation for what's happening?

My UP so far says:
1,131 total burn
678 active burn
453 resting burn

MFP says:
1,230 initial calories
183 biking calories from MMR
124 UP adjustment

So MFP total to eat = 1,537.

I need to lose 1-1.5lb a week and am trying to use these tools instead of TDEE but am not sure what amount to eat. Any tips? Please?

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Set your nutrition and forget about what you burned unless you are doing mega workouts. I am 5'7" and started at 187 and am now down to 170 on 1500 -1700 calories a day. Add me if you'd like. I'm happy to help.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    TDEE doesn't work for me because I am not consistent with my workouts. Some weeks I have insane burns, some weeks I'm lucky to burn 500 cals for the whole week.

If your apps are double-logging, remove their access to MyFitnessPal. I had that problem. I use RunKeeper, EveryMove, MFP, and a heart rate monitor. I had a problem where my heart rate monitor was posting to RunKeeper AND Everymove, and my Runkeeper was pairing to everymove. Look at the accounts separately online on a day where you only do 1 exercise and you should be able to see where the duplication is happening.
  • anelbez
    anelbez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Set your nutrition and forget about what you burned unless you are doing mega workouts. I am 5'7" and started at 187 and am now down to 170 on 1500 -1700 calories a day. Add me if you'd like. I'm happy to help.

How much do you exercise daily? Just curious because I eat 1200 but only because I don't exercise often.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    this site was recommended to me by a good friend who lost a bunch of weight. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm I use it to calculate my daily calorie need. I personally put in a weight that is 20-30lb less than I currently weigh. then I put in little to no exercise. everything else i use what I really am(height, age, etc). It gives me a baseline calorie amount that is already in deficit to what I need at my real weight. I then use steps tracked by fitbit flex that's synced with MFP, and enter in what I do for other exercise. Some days I eat those "extra" calories, some days I don't. I'm at 1800 calories a day currently- but I'm likely much heavier than you as well! I personally would not go below 1400/day unless I was tiny! such a small amount of calories and for me at least- depressing and unrealistic! I'm not making any land speed records for my weight loss pace, though I am creating a much healthier lifestyle that has been relatively easy to maintain(last 2 wks not withstanding- though today i'm back on the "wagon").
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This group (of JawBone users) might be of some assistance

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. Keep your nutrition clean and within a good calorie range for your activity level, and you should be fine. At your age and height, with doing 25-30 minutes a day of exercise, you should be taking in 1900 calories a day. The more consistent you are, the more consistent your results will be. Good luck, and if I can be of any further help, feel free to reach out to me!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Also, if you are using a tool to track your calorie burn, stick to one. The use of too many will give you erroneous counts and be less accurate.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. Keep your nutrition clean and within a good calorie range for your activity level, and you should be fine. At your age and height, with doing 25-30 minutes a day of exercise, you should be taking in 1900 calories a day. The more consistent you are, the more consistent your results will be. Good luck, and if I can be of any further help, feel free to reach out to me!

IMHO "keep your nutrition clean" IS overcomplicating it. No one knows what that means. No one means the same thing. I am steadily losing weight and I had kraft mac and cheese for lunch. *clicks MikeBXstream's profile* oh you're a beachbody coach. Nevermindddd.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Keeping your nutrition clean means do you best to avoid boxed or canned foods, like kraft mac n cheese, microwaveable meals, Boxed dinners, stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, every now and then there is nothing like a good bowl of velveeta shells and cheese, but there isn't a single thing that is good for you in there. But, I know that, and know that my results will be slower if I continue to choose food items like that over all natural healthy ones. So I do my best to stick with fruits, lots of veggies, and lean proteins. No soda, small portions of juice, small amounts of carbs from breads. If I need carbs I lean towards leafy green veggies, or potatoes. Otherwise, brown or jasmine rice. That's it. I choose to break my meals into 5 small-medium size ones a day, so that it keeps my metabolism regular, I have less spikes with blood sugar, and not feeling starving at certain parts of the day. To easy!