Do you shift life events to fit around your workout sched?

Just curious really...

I find that I'm constantly, either declining family/friend invitations to various events or asking them if we can shift the date to a non-workout day. Hmm...

I have a lifting routine. I am going to stick to that routine. It's just a huge inconvenience to shift days. I don't know...I'd just rather workout these days than go out for a drink or "hangout".

But what prompted this whole question was what just happened. I got a text from my SIL that she was having a cake for my nephew's birthday tonight. Well tonight is lifting day. Um, so I declined. Now if she'd asked, maybe a week ago, then I could've rearranged my days. But same day invite? Nah...

Anyone else make workouts priority #1 over other things? Weird that I've turned out this way when 2 years ago I didn't give a crap about working out...

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Most of my friends play basketball with me or enjoy active things, so I don't have to cancel plans on them. Generally, though, I build my workout around my social life and school work.

1A)School
    1B)Girls/Friends/Hanging out
    2)Complaining about being lazy and sore
    3) Working out.

:laugh:
  • I adjust my workouts around my family and friends for the most part. I might ask if we can start an event a little later or something, but if that's not a reasonable request then I push my workout to the early morning or the next day.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    I work my workouts around my life.....personal preference for me.

Fsunami
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    This is why I workout in the morning. I never have a scheduling conflict at 5am.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    I shift my workout schedule around plans with family and friends. This is also one of the big reasons why I lift early in the morning -- leaves evenings to do as I please. I lift 4 days a week so there's no harm in pushing a workout back one day.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    I shift my personal stuff around my workout schedule. If I have a zumba class at 6pm and my friend wants to grab a dinner/drink....I usually ask to do it later at like 7:30 or 8pm so that I can do both.

The fact that I didnt want to miss so many events (happy hours, dinners, etc..) is one of the reasons that lead me to not sticking with my working out and good food...and im not doing that again.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    It's about having balance. I would skip a workout for my nephew birthday celebration. Since it's Monday you can certainly make it up later in the week.

I am doing a 45 day transformation contest and I've had to change my schedule to accomodate family and friends with no regrets.

Coach Herb
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Sorry if this is kind of "off topic" but I honestly don't shift much around unless it is for something that I know about ahead of time. Last minute invites generally get turned down whether it's because I planned to exercise or just spend time alone, with my husband, shopping, or whatever.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If it's something that I'll have the opportunity to do again -- like a casual dinner with friends -- I'd probably skip it or show up late in favor of a workout. But a nephew's birthday party? I'd reschedule a workout for that, assuming the kid's old enough to notice whether or not I'm there.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Sorry if this is kind of "off topic" but I honestly don't shift much around unless it is for something that I know about ahead of time. Last minute invites generally get turned down whether it's because I planned to exercise or just spend time alone, with my husband, shopping, or whatever.

I'm of the same mind.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    ....kinda sounds like the other end of the ED spectrum... If life and socialization isn't allowed to move your exercise schedule around a bit, there's a problem with priorities. A bit OCDish. Not saying give up exercise, just reschedule during your week. Unless you are a professional athlete and it is your 'job' :smile:
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    ....kinda sounds like the other end of the ED spectrum... If life and socialization isn't allowed to move your exercise schedule around a bit, there's a problem with priorities. A bit OCDish. Not saying give up exercise, just reschedule during your week. Unless you are a professional athlete and it is your 'job' :smile:

That is ultimately my goal. However, who knows if I'll have any family or friends left when I finally reach that goal lol :ohwell: At least I'll have my husband because, well, we workout together and is working toward the same goal.

Edited for typos...
  • I don't have a routine yet, I am very flexible.
  • iwilldoit2018
    iwilldoit2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Most days I workout at 5:30am so there is not an impact to my personal events. However, on Tuesday evenings and Saturday Morning, i set aside time to run with a local training team. My health is more important to me right now than taking time for dinner or coffee on these days.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I absolutely detest last minute invites in general. I'm more likely to reject them on principle.

That said, I do not make my workouts the #1 priority. Seeing friends, family, and other events will always take priority. I will still make time for my workouts, however. I don't understand why, for example, you couldn't go to nephew's cake thing and then come home and lift.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If it's something that I'll have the opportunity to do again -- like a casual dinner with friends -- I'd probably skip it or show up late in favor of a workout. But a nephew's birthday party? I'd reschedule a workout for that, assuming the kid's old enough to notice whether or not I'm there.

That's about mine- I don't have many scheduled events- and I can work around thing sI am well aware of- I can make time for someone if I know i'ts coming- but I can't make arrangements- and I won't make arrangements if it's last minute. I have a very specific schedule- and my "social" life is the gym- and the dance studio- I work 3 jobs and I train and perform alone and with a professional troupe- rehearsal/performances take priority- and there for I make arrangements around those things- and it's not that hard to shift Friday's workout to Saturday AM.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Once family members start passing away, you might change your view. It's hard to think like that when you're younger, but my parents were old when they had me so I've always been surrounded by old relatives.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    double post
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Can you stop by for maybe 30 minutes? And then let them know you had something planned and need to leave? Is he old enough to where he would be asking for you?

I would probably shift things for that. I understand last minute invites are annoying, and normally, I do decline, but I'm a sucker for my family, and especially a cute little face. So I would try to make a quick appearance.

But I do my main workout at 6:30am, and if I am able to fit in a 2nd workout in the evening, which I normally can do 3-4xs a week, I count it as extra. And that way, I can say yes to last minute things, without worrying about a missed workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I look at my schedule on Sunday and plan my week of workouts around it. I don't really have last minute things come up often. Our family is all out of town and we're not big socializers.