Sprained Ankle and Marathon Training

Options
I've been very lucky about injuries. Besides the usual discomfort (sore, cramps, etc) I've never had a running injury. I have my first marathon on Oct 26 and last Sunday and this past Sunday I rolled my ankle while running (last week at mile 10 of 20 and this week at mile 2 of what was supposed to be an 18 mile run but turned into 12.5). This week I had to cut my run short; typoically I just run through it if it doesn't hurt but this time it was too tough and it's too close to the marathon to risk further injury.

Looking for some confirmation I made the right move and maybe some tips for rehab and making it through this week. I'm supposed to run 4, rest Tuesday, 7 Wends, 3 Thurs, 7 Friday, 20 Sunday. This will be my third 20 mile run and the last big run before my taper begins.

On Oct 11 I'm running the BAA Half Marathon as a tune up for the marathon to test my pace. It worked out well that I was scheduled to run 13 that day so why not add .1 more!

Replies

• RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump for feedback before possible lunch run.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    At this point you want to get to the starting line healthy. That last 20 miler will help you with fitness some, but you've done 2 already. If the ankle is bugging you on race day, that could slow you down much more than the little you'll not gain from the last 20 miler. Personally, I'd rest the heck out of it this week until Sunday, plot the long run somewhere where you can bail easily, and then only run if it doesn't hurt. Any pain, I'd bail on the run. If you can't do that, I'd recommend not starting. If you can't do 20 this week, then you could rest all this week, do some light running during next week and try the 20 miler again a week later. Cuts your taper down to 2 weeks which is OK - it will just be a steeper taper.

The reality is most of the "hay is in the barn" so to speak. Your main goal now is to be healthy to race. I know it "feels" wrong to rest at this point, but that really is the lesser of two evils given you are feeling pain.

If you have to do something for sanity, try swimming a bit. You may find the ankle actually responds to it - or it may hurt as well and that wouldn't be a great replacement.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ...freaking double post...
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've had good experiences with swimming in the past. I'll see if I can find that as a resource.

I held off on the lunch run in fear of pushing it. I think I'll rest up tonight and see how it feels tomorrow. I typically do three 7 mile there-and-back loops for the big runs (ironically right along the public transportation route) so it's a good outlet if I feel the pain.

The hay in the barn reference is a good one. After two 20-mile runs I have the physical component down. More importantly the mental component of knowing I can run that far (and have... twice) is very comforting. I think with so many options for training plans or tapering plans sometimes I over-complicate/over-analyze my schedule and psych myself out.