is 1200 enough?

Options
I am on my quest to lose 3 stone, nearly lost 1 already. I am on 1200 calories a day, and trying to change my mindset with food and eat healthier, though not restricting certain groups of food (so I occasionally have a treat if it fits in my allowance). I also jog alternate days - been doing couch to 5k plan and have just got up to doing 4-5k during a run. On those days I eat 1350 calories. I'm not particularly hungry, I tend to have smaller meals and more snacks. I'm just greedy :$

I am just wondering if it's too much of a deficit. I worry about the sustainability of it long term, and don't want to yoyo. I must admit I picked the numbers at random. I have been on several websites all saying I'm probably needing 2200 calories a day and are suggesting deficits of 1500 - 1600.

What do people think?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of 1200 calories day.

Whats your TDEE? Just find it out with online calculators and subtract 500 calories from that.. eat at that and you will lose 1lb a week.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Pick a way of eating you can stick to long term. I think as long as you are at 1200 minimum that can be a range of appropriate calories. Signs you are too low - being obsessed with food, binge eating, feeling weak, a lot of hunger or even lack of hunger when you should be hungry.

The problem with being a big deficit is that (I think) you are more likely to lose a significant amount of muscle mass as well as fat. I'd add weight/resistance training to your routine to maintain as much muscle mass as you can while you are losing.
  • Shirotora88
    Options
    I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. I think its healthy but I'm not a nutritionist so I cannot know if I am hurting my body for sure.

I still have about 5 more stone to lose
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you picked a weight loss goal that's too agressive for you. With about 30 pounds left to lose, you should set your goal to 1 pound per week at the most. This will be much more reasonable. Also be sure to eat back at least half of your earned calories (if not more)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. I think its healthy but I'm not a nutritionist so I cannot know if I am hurting my body for sure.

I still have about 5 more stone to lose

Sure you can - 1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum. That doesn't mean 1200 is incorrect....it just means you might want a second opinion. TDEE is your second opinion. TDEE includes exercise up front & is your maintenance calories. You want a number less than this. TDEE less 500 would be 1 pound a week.....TDEE less 750 would be 1.5 pounds a week.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Losing weight too quickly can result in fat+muscle loss, as opposed to mainly fat loss. Most people want a lower body fat %.

This chart is helpful....

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It's a bit low. I came here 18 months ago with the same question. I had set my goal at 2# per week (too aggressive). Set it for 1# a week and enjoy the process. You'll still get there in the end, and you will have learned something sustainable, rather than, "Oh, I met my goal, now I have to figure out how to eat to stay here." Listen to the TDEE people. There are a lot of them here because it works.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    1,200 is the min any woman should eat. You can eat that if you want and lose and switch it up to 1,350 on other days to perhaps keep the body from getting in a rut. But long term- no. This is way too few calories and you would need to eat more (just guessing 1,600-1,800) to MAINTAIN whatever weight you are currently at or want to be.

With that in mind, my goal is set at 1,200 calories a day even though I KNOW I'm going to go slightly over it more often than not. I think it keeps me more disciplined and I don't beat myself when I go a bit over.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've always found it better (for me) to have my calories set higher and be happy what I'm doing and be able to stick to it rather than dropping to the absolute minimum of 1,200 calories and constantly feeling like I'm on a diet. This is not a short term fix, you need something you can live with and sustain. I have mine set at 1,450 a day.
  • M00resville
    M00resville Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would use the 1350 for every day and not just exercise days. You will still loose and its an easily sustainable amount of calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of responses. Some will say: I do 1200, therefore it's fine.
    Some will say: 1200 is too low (for me, and therefore you).
    And you'll get some saying I eat (insert # here) and lose, therefore you will too.

Neither of those answers is useful FOR YOU.

What is? Get your height, weight, age, gender and activity level into a TDEE calculator and do the math.
    Or, be HONEST about how much you need to lose and use the guidelines above (about how much you should try to lose a week), and then FOLLOW what MFP tells you after you choose the right selection.

Eat what it tells you, and "eat back" what it tells you to.

Or, do the TDEE method and don't eat back.

My point? Everyone is different. And therefore so are their caloric needs.

READ THIS (and its links):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

good luck
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think you should check in with your doctor, who is really the only person that can give you the number for you.
  • xobrittanie
    Options
    If you are trying to lose the last couple pounds what i would personally recommend is doing intermittent fasting, by that I mean do your cardio on an empty stomach, preferably first thing in the morning if you have time. Because your stomach is empty your body will look to the quickest energy stores which is stored fat. Keep in mind though, when doing this type of training you can just do LISS (low intensity steady state) which for example means going for a jog at around the same speed for NO MORE than 30mins, as it becomes easier either increase your speed if running outside or increase your incline if running on the treadmill. If I were you I would also increase your calorie intake, it's much too low, i've been there where i was getting the minimum calorie intake and not seeing results and the fact is when you have a calorie deficit that low your body is going to always hold onto the rest of that stubborn fat because your body is not getting enough calories to make it feel "safe", the reason your body holds onto fat is just in case of starvation. I would increase your calories to about 1500. Especially on weight training days you want to have more calories and carbs than you would on your off training days. Also you should cycle between calorie intake to keep your metabolism for falling (which is seems like it has for you) that being said, have one day where you eat around 1400 and another day where you eat around 1600 this will "trick" your body into having a faster metabolism even on the days where you are eating less calories. AND lastly, I would really recommend weight training at least 4 times a week, whether it's free weights or circuit training, for me I saw better results with the last 5 lbs when I weight trained more often than I did cardio. Because the more muscle you have the more of a higher metabolism you will have. Hopefully this helps and keep in mind when trying to lose the last few pounds, this is the hardest part of getting to your fitness goal, it's not going to be easy and you will have to work harder and eat cleaner than you ever have before.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For me? No, it's not.

Additionally, I like food. I would like to eat as much as possible while still making progress towards my goals.
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What you eat is more important. 1200 is enough if you are eating HEALTHY food. My goal is 1200 a day as well. Lot's of lean protein, veggies, and healthy carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and brown rice. 1200 calories of bad food will leave you still feeling hungry. It's that simple.

I would recommend logging your exercise and eating more on days that you exercise more. A large deficit will cause muscle loss, not fat loss. A lot of people that run (myself included, especially when I was running 1/2 marathons) eat extra protein to protect ourselves from muscle loss.