LOW CARB LUNCHES

Options
I am looking for some suggestions on having a low carb lunch. Also wondering if I am trying to eat low carbs do i have to include natural carbs from fruit and veggies or just the processed ones?

Replies

• Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get into ketosis you will have to count natural carbs as well as processed. If you don't care about that, keep eating your fruits and veg!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    what about cottage cheese with a bit of frozen fruit such as blueberries or raspberries (berries are lower in carbs than say bananas? Besides texture, reminds me or ice cream except it's about 17g protein :tongue:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Cut out all processed carbs, especially grain. Cut out all processed stuff, period. If it doesn't have a mom or come right out of the ground, don't eat it. Limit tubers & rice.

Focus on vegetables and moderate fruit.

Easy lunch: BACON! Or a "sandwich" (wrap meat & cheese & veggies in lettuce)
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Those packets of ready to eat salmon on top of a salad is my favorite go-to lunch when I can't figure out anything else. Make up a big ol' stir fry with chicken and shrimp and you can easily take it to work to heat up.
  • chelamg12
    chelamg12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tuna....omelets....scrambled eggs....salads with no tomatoes (if you are looking to keep it low low carb)...cucumbers...fish...meats...low carb wraps with ham and cheese..Hope these suggestions helps!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Ideally Low Carb should be cutting out most of your carbs, unfortunately this includes carbs from Fruit. Ketosis requires a carb intake of somewhere around 20 grams of carbs. Your average fruit has about 20g of carbs, depending on the fruit can be as high as 30+ grams of carbs. It's pretty high and this is all natural sugar...

However, when eaten with a Slow Carb the fruit is then processed at a much slower rate than if you were to just eat a apple, or orange. A slow carb would consists of an item that is high in protein and fiber. For instance eating an Apple with Peanut Butter or Strawberries with Oatmeal. Carb-Combining often is used to incorporate fruits into a Low Carb lifestyle.

You could also eat Low Glycemic which is based of Red Light, Yellow Light and Green Light foods.. Green being the foods you can eat all you want, Yellow being Moderation and Red being High Foods you should stay away from. This generally lists the food by it's Glycemic Value and how it processed in to body.

As for suggestions of a Low Carb Lunch:

Low Carb Turkey Wrap with Turkey, Lettuce, Cheese and Mayo
    Tuna Salad (or any salad with a protein)
    They have Low Carb bread which is as low as 3g per slice you could make a sandwich
    Also wrapping foods in Lettuce LEafs
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I do the "South Beach" lifestyle and I really like it. Low carbs. I try to stay away from the processed stuff, but I fail from time to time. I really like homemade salad with the Perdue Chicken or Turkey short cuts sauteed in a little EVOO. Add some parm cheese and maybe some almonds? High in protein, low in carbs. I'll add a little dressing on the side I dip my fork in.

- Travels REALLY easy too!

I do count my fruits as my carbs too due to some of the sugars in them - especially pineapple. But I try to have at least 1 - 2 servings a day of fruit.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Cut out all processed carbs, especially grain.

[/quote

I do not agree with this since Grain comes from a seed and can naturally be good for you. Whole Wheat Grains and grains that are not put through processing are good for your body. The carbs that are bad for your are the processed carbs such as White Foods like potatoes, rice etc.
    Cut out all processed stuff, period. If it doesn't have a mom or come right out of the ground, don't eat it. Limit tubers & rice.

This is very true! (and contradicts her last statement though) if it comes from the ground or has a mom generally is save to eat! Foods that come from a seed can be naturally good for you.