Do you shift life events to fit around your workout sched?

Replies

• lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Once family members start passing away, you might change your view. It's hard to think like that when you're younger, but my parents were old when they had me so I've always been surrounded by old relatives.

I do visit my family often. There are just those special instances that just start becoming inconvenient. But I do understand what you're saying.

Edited to add: in terms of my nephew - they live far and completely out of my way. I told her I'd visit him this weekend.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Once family members start passing away, you might change your view. It's hard to think like that when you're younger, but my parents were old when they had me so I've always been surrounded by old relatives.

I do visit my family often. There are just those special instances that just start becoming inconvenient. But I do understand what you're saying.

kid's birthday's been on the books- she could have invited you sooner.

Secondly- I would just say- hey I'll do what I can to make it and show up late.

I can't stand when people ask last minute. It's annoying. and rude.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    I most certainly do. No shame.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    It's too inconvenient to take a minute to re-arrange your workout schedule? Seriously? You're on a plan. I get that. So move Monday to Tuesday or get up in the morning to get your workout in. Having a "Can't be bothered" attitude is the first way to distance people and I don't think that's your end game.
  • lorigem

JoRocka - I agree. And it happens more often than not in my family. Which is why I tend to say, "screw it" these days. Back when I was single with plenty of time, I didn't mind it. Now, it's annoying as ****e.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    This is why I workout in the morning. I never have a scheduling conflict at 5am.

This. Except 6 AM in my case lol.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Nope.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    This is when having no social life is beneficial.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    It's too inconvenient to take a minute to re-arrange your workout schedule? Seriously? You're on a plan. I get that. So move Monday to Tuesday or get up in the morning to get your workout in. Having a "Can't be bothered" attitude is the first way to distance people and I don't think that's your end game.

Pretty much this.

Skipping your nephews birthday just rubs me the wrong way for some reason...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    This is when having no social life is beneficial.

QFT!
  • I don't really have a time of day where I work out. So as an end result if someone calls with plans I just change the time I work out. Now sometimes that means I'm at the gym at midnight or at 7 am but I like my friends more than working out so I'm ok with it.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I love my workouts lol but I won't ditch my family or friends for a workout. I will either workout beforehand or afterwards depending on my schedule and when the event is. Sunday I spent the afternoon with my in-laws, I knew they were coming over so I just worked out that morning and after they left.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    When we start choosing something over our family, friends and making it a priority over life events, that is called addiction.

If you feel that lifting is more important than celebrating your nephews birthday, that is beyond sad to me.

We eat right and exercise so we can be around a long time to celebrate life with those we love and that love us, not let it run our lives.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Anyone else make workouts priority #1 over other things? Weird that I've turned out this way when 2 years ago I didn't give a crap about working out...

I know the feeling quite well. Yup I do the same thing. I don't function well with last minute events that aren't mandatory. I'll almost always pass.

Even if I want or "have" to work ot. I come home, workout, cook/eat, then log back onto my computer from home to do work.

For hanging out, friends / fam know that after 6pm I'm usually free unless I'm running late.

I find I function better if I structure my life even if it means I miss out on happy hour and all that fun stuff. Excess of that stuff is what landed me here 2 years ago anyways. Besides... It's the same people, living the same night, telling the same tired stories anyways... /yawn. They will be there the next day / week / etc.

As ridiculous as it sounds work > workout > dinner > all other obligations... for me anyways. 30-60 min a day of me time to improve myself isn't too much to ask.

If it's an emergency, I will drop what I'm doing to help a friend or relative though.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    That is ultimately my goal. However, who knows if I'll have any family or friends left when I finally reach that goal lol :ohwell: At least I'll have my husband because, well, we workout together and is working toward the same goal.

Edited for typos...

I get that this was a joke, but it smacks of taking your family and friends for granted. I'm not advocating to spend your whole life dreading losing a family member... but ever since I had to fly straight home from working a 24hr shift to be at my dad's side when he died, seeing an attitude like that makes me really sad. Even if you did say it to be funny.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

JoRocka - I agree. And it happens more often than not in my family. Which is why I tend to say, "screw it" these days. Back when I was single with plenty of time, I didn't mind it. Now, it's annoying as ****e.

I agree as I am a planner...weeks in advance sometimes...

but there are times when that can't happen...

For example Friday was DL day...something came up for my son...so I moved them to Saturday which was suppose to be paintball day...did DL's in the morning...paintball in the afternoon.

I can always work in my workouts so I am a bit more flexible and I decline an invite it's because I don't want to go not because I am working out...however that gives me a good excuse...
  • lorigem
    That is ultimately my goal. However, who knows if I'll have any family or friends left when I finally reach that goal lol :ohwell: At least I'll have my husband because, well, we workout together and is working toward the same goal.

Edited for typos...

I get that this was a joke, but it smacks of taking your family and friends for granted. I'm not advocating to spend your whole life dreading losing a family member... but ever since I had to fly straight home from working a 24hr shift to be at my dad's side when he died, seeing an attitude like that makes me really sad. Even if you did say it to be funny.

Like I stated before, I do visit my family. It's not like I go months without seeing them. I make time for them - but that's why I plan. When invitations to special situations come up (especially last minute), I choose to decline because my schedule has been set. Plus - they live far from me. I work a full time job with a hellish commute. It's inconvenient all around.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    This is why I workout in the morning. I never have a scheduling conflict at 5am.

I do. It's called sleep. Besides, 5 am isn't a real time, it's just something grown ups talk about.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

Exactly this.
  • lorigem

I do. It's called sleep. Besides, 5 am isn't a real time, it's just something grown ups talk about.

:laugh: