how to not plateau

Options
I have been doing a biggest loser club at work and have done very well over the last 18 weeks, lost 26.8 lbs which translates to -8.54%.

I have noticed over the last 3-5 weeks that I am just going up and down within a few pounds.

What can I do to keep the weight loss going?

It seems like I am still getting smaller, but not loosing lbs.

I generally walk between 2.5 and 3.5 miles 3 times a week right now and am trying to be conscience of my calories.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If all you're doing for exercise is walking, start incorporating weight training (even bodyweight if you prefer) and intervals. Instead of just walking, start jogging a bit
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do you weigh your food, measure your liquids and log accurately?

If you answered no to any of those questions that's your issue.
  • Munkyblade
    Munkyblade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Firstly - well done on losing your 27lbs so far - that's a great achievement!

I had exactly the same issue when I started after around 2 months of losing weight, it just seemed to stop reducing!!

After reading lots of forums and studying various experts opinions (believe me there are lots of them), I figured out that I needed to change my routines as my body had got used to the walking.

I was useless at running at school, let alone now I'm 41 (honest) - so I started to do some intervals during my walking - jogging for 20 seconds then walking again until I recovered - did this as many times as I could - increasing the intensity when I felt I could - now I can run for a mile and a half!!!

As soon as I upped the intensity I suddenly dropped around 3 pounds within a couple of days. Then over time as I got fitter, I kept on increasing intensity - this does not necessarily mean increasing the time spent exercising.

Now I feel a lot more fitter, I have since bought a bicycle and can easily knock out 15 miles 4 times a week (including uphill as well as I live in a valley). I either cycle or run, or combine walking and jogging depending on how I feel on that particular day.

I have been doing this for a year now (since before I joined MFP) and have now lost just under 4 stone altogether, whilst combining this with healthier eating.

I also figured out that muscle weighs more than fat which probably increases as you exercise, and that it is natural to gain/lose a couple of pounds every day depending on what you eat/how much exercise you do etc.

I also started using the weighttrend+ app, which measures your weight over time - you enter your weight daily and it calculates the weight loss over a period of time - this demonstrates that the daily ups and downs of your measurements aren't a full, true picture of your journey. Google it for more info (it does make sense)!

I am no expert, just explaining what worked for me - variety, intensity, perseverance, will power and patience and not being too obsessed with the numbers.

Good luck, and hope this has helped in some form or another.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to up the intensity. If you are in a time crunch, do the same distance, but up the incline to whatever you can tolerate for the length of time you workout. If you're only willing to do or able to do 0.0% incline (knees, etc.), maybe do a more brisk pace (speed walking or light jog). It definitely sounds like your body got used to the workout. 2.5-3.5 miles for a few months needs changing up! :) Maybe add weights WHILE you're walking. I'm a big proponent of the ankle and wrist wrap weights. You will find it SOOOOO much harder even though they are 5- 10 lbs on each ankle or wrist.

Another thought, maybe at every .25 mile mark, stop and do a set of push-ups, burpees, squats, or whatever just to get your body out of its groove. You will be SHOT. I try this on the treadmill to keep me engaged, and it kills me after about 3 times which doesn't even get me to the mile marker.

Hope this helps! :happy: