Need a couple more friends….

Options
Hi! My name is Allison, I have a lot of friends on here and I for some reason want to break 100. I've had MFP for years, but this is the first time I'm utilizing the community and IT'S REALLY helping! I just moved to a new area so I don't have friends here, and I don't have Facebook anymore so MFP is my only support group and socializing haha. Anyway my goal is to lose 80-100 pounds (we will see once I get closer to the 80 mark!) I have really bad knee and ankle problems which I am doing pretty good working around right now, but I plan on starting jogging again soon so I would love to meet people with similar handicaps. Thanks for reading <3

Replies

• NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like! I have 70-80 pounds to lose, though I too technically could lose 100 lb and still be in the healthy range, I don't ever intend to be super skinny!

I had some bad knee problems too -- i started my exercise about a month ago just swimming. Seemed to help a lot, I gradually worked into a walk/run plan and worked with a trainer for a few sessions. Right now I'm running 1 min 30 seconds walking 3 min 3 seconds x 7 to 10 times the plan works up every week, so that next week i'll be running 2 minutes and walking 3 minutes

What's working for me
    1 - I got fitted for running shoes. I apparently was in shoes that were problematic for me they were overcorrecting and exacerbating weight-induced hip and knee problems
    2 - stretching. After I run, i spend 20 minutes at least stretching
    3- squats - really really have helped my knees. I use a yoga ball to lean back against on wall and do

good luck!
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :-)
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I added you! I can't swim for weight loss, I tried it before but I have serious panic attacks as soon as my head goes underwater (waaa!!!) I can't do squats yet, but I have been doing a lot of step ups and machine work and it seems to be helping a lot! I can't wait to do squats for that lovely butt hahaha. I totally forgot about wall squats!! I am SOOOOOO doing that tomorrow for leg day thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison,

I also have bad ankles that I am working through, and have had knee issues in the past. As far as the knee issues, those went away pretty quick with 2 things:

1. Got fitted properly for running shoes. I am an overproner so I need shoes designed for those. Plus I use the green superfeet insoles for them as well.
    2. Changed the way I run. I had spent years being taught the key to running efficiently is making your stride as long as possible. That also meant landing on my heels instead of the middle of my foot where there is no natural shock absorption. I fixed that by setting up a playlist that had nothing but songs with a tempo of approximately 180 beats per minute, and practiced just landing on my foot with the beat. It was AMAZING how fast this one made my knees not be so sore.

As far as ankles, well I am starting to sort through this one. Over the years I have had numerous bad ankle sprains that thanks to the Army's ever so competent medical community was never treated properly. So now neither ankle has much elasticity in the ligaments on the outside anymore (my left is probably about one more sprain for needing surgery). I've been in physical therapy for the past month for it. But what I am being told these things help if your ankle problems are like mine:

1. Practice standing on one foot. When you are good at it with your eyes open, do it with your eyes closed. That trains your stabilizer muscles in your ankle and teaches your brain how to react to when you start to lose balance.
    2. Wear an ankle brace while running. Active Ankle makes a very good one for running. It gives stability without interfering with range of motion. You just have to wear calf or knee length socks with it on or you get this really gross sticky swampy feeling where your bare leg and the brace meet.

But feel free to add me. I hope this helps a bit

Jake
  • Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, we can support each other:-)
  • jeffd1967
    Options
    feel free to add me - i too can use all the friends I can get - hell anyone who wants to add me should lol
  • chrisv315
    Options
    Feel free to add me. We can be a support chain!
  • notyalc66
    notyalc66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison

Happy if you add me.
    My Diary is open to friends.

I have carried too much weight for a long time, but last year i re-injured by damaged knee and have been unable to run properly since may 2013.

I am not keen on jogging, but i was a keen tennis player and was able to play with a knee support without much hindrance even though i have no ACL in my left knee.

Anyway, I have reached the point where i am about ready to get back on court. I have been cycling and swimming to strengthen the muscles around the knee.
  • lanajooste
    lanajooste Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison!

I'm from South Africa, we're hitting our Spring season here moving into Cape Town Summer Weather, therefore, I desperately need to lose minimum 50 pounds (that would be 25kg right :)? ). Anyways, I'm sitting here REALLY trying to motivate myself to start the 30 day shred - Jillian Michaels as I've started with a LCHF lifestyle and believe my exercise routine will speed everything up.

I will be taking up my tennis again, start doing my 3km walk-try-to-jog-tongue-on-the-ground daily routine with my dog again and then the 30 shred.

I haven't made any friends on MFP yet, so please add me and let's do this! :)

Cheers!
    Lana
  • YourKnight
    YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Michael, and I'm brand new on MyFitnessPal. Managed to lose 30 lbs in the past 6 months on my own, and another 3.5 since joining this site. Still have a way to go, and would love some friends so we can encourage each other along the way. Happy Monday!
  • egarcia1109
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I also need friends here on MFP :) I would like to lose 30 pounds and build muscle. I am 21 years old with high cholesterol and would love to change my lifestyle, be fit, and healthy! Would love pointers/motivators! <3 xoxoxo
  • thereverie
    thereverie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have similar goals and have been looking to add to my friends list! Have you tried rowing? I recently purchased a Concept2 for my home gym and it's my absolute favorite form of cardio! Not harsh on the knees at all, and it really gets every muscle involved. Good luck :)
    Options
    Believe you can do it. Do some exercise , but take care of you health first, especially the knee and ankle, it need long time to get back to its best fitness.
  • zoeyzore
    zoeyzore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey girly! I'm looking to drop a good 40 pounds, and I also have a ton of problems with my ankles and feet in general. Feel free to add me if you need some extra motivation! We can do this!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Im looking to drop 52 lbs(lost 2.6 in the last 13 days).I use to have problems with my knees and since I started working out and lifting weights (25 months ago) My knees have gotten a lot better(I also have a rod and pins in one leg from knee to ankle).I am new to MFP also and was at a plateau so I joined to see if MFP would help(I had tried EVERYTHING to get out of it),so far its helping :) feel free to add me.I could use friends who are motivated and committed to being healthier
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Hi Allison,

I also have bad ankles that I am working through, and have had knee issues in the past. As far as the knee issues, those went away pretty quick with 2 things:

1. Got fitted properly for running shoes. I am an overproner so I need shoes designed for those. Plus I use the green superfeet insoles for them as well.
    2. Changed the way I run. I had spent years being taught the key to running efficiently is making your stride as long as possible. That also meant landing on my heels instead of the middle of my foot where there is no natural shock absorption. I fixed that by setting up a playlist that had nothing but songs with a tempo of approximately 180 beats per minute, and practiced just landing on my foot with the beat. It was AMAZING how fast this one made my knees not be so sore.

As far as ankles, well I am starting to sort through this one. Over the years I have had numerous bad ankle sprains that thanks to the Army's ever so competent medical community was never treated properly. So now neither ankle has much elasticity in the ligaments on the outside anymore (my left is probably about one more sprain for needing surgery). I've been in physical therapy for the past month for it. But what I am being told these things help if your ankle problems are like mine:

1. Practice standing on one foot. When you are good at it with your eyes open, do it with your eyes closed. That trains your stabilizer muscles in your ankle and teaches your brain how to react to when you start to lose balance.
    2. Wear an ankle brace while running. Active Ankle makes a very good one for running. It gives stability without interfering with range of motion. You just have to wear calf or knee length socks with it on or you get this really gross sticky swampy feeling where your bare leg and the brace meet.

But feel free to add me. I hope this helps a bit

Jake

I blame my ankles on a botched military surgery hahahaha! I am definitely going to try those balance excerises!! thank you! and I did just break down and get a pair of aspics. I am waiting to get under 200 pounds to start running again because I don't want to put my knees through that! I will send an add thank you!!
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    I have similar goals and have been looking to add to my friends list! Have you tried rowing? I recently purchased a Concept2 for my home gym and it's my absolute favorite form of cardio! Not harsh on the knees at all, and it really gets every muscle involved. Good luck :)

I really need to try rowing. I just love my elliptical sooo much ahhaha
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Im looking to drop 52 lbs(lost 2.6 in the last 13 days).I use to have problems with my knees and since I started working out and lifting weights (25 months ago) My knees have gotten a lot better(I also have a rod and pins in one leg from knee to ankle).I am new to MFP also and was at a plateau so I joined to see if MFP would help(I had tried EVERYTHING to get out of it),so far its helping :) feel free to add me.I could use friends who are motivated and committed to being healthier

I have notice with the slight weight loss how much less my knees are hurting, I can't wait to be under the 200 pound mark!! thank you!
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful feedback!! I went and added everyone you all are the best!!
  • Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Please feel free to add me. I lost 100+, regained some, and am back losing those last 30 pounds again.

I really struggled with knee pain (felt like broken glass in there when I went up stairs) and ankle pain when I was at my heaviest. It's awesome you're working on getting healthier and losing some weight. That made the biggest difference for me in terms of how my body felt.

And I'd second the shoes and the balance exercises to strengthen the ankles. I've been working on stability for the past two months and feel so solid now. (I'm someone who used to just randomly trip and lose my balance.)