I Miss Fitting into My Old Miss Me Jeans

Options
Hello!! My name is Alana and I'm new to this community; I figured it was about that time that I submitted some kind of introduction topic for myself to say hello to everyone!

Off topic and reasons for why I'm interested in MFP and this particular group-

So last year I was 5'8 and 115 lbs while I was taking a medicine called adderall for my ADD condition; I ended up going off this medication and I ended up gaining quite a bit of weight and it was a bit of a shock to the system, getting my appetite for real food back. I went from 115 lbs to 140 in the span of a year.

I joined MFP this spring when I started noticing how I was putting on pounds very gradually. It seems like a great system for monitoring your personal weight. I also like that there does seem to be an active community here! The prospect of having people to chat with about their fitness experience using the app is just gravy after soloing everything up to this point. I'm curious to find out how other people use this app. Seems like the vast majority of individuals here are trying to lose weight.

It's rough going from super skinny to a more average, healthy size because it feels like you're honestly packing on love handles but sometimes it's just a fat percentage that your body needs to have. I feel like I'm always at odds with this because I really miss being able to fit into those awesome expensive jeans I bought for myself last year. I'd like to think there might be a way to be thin but also very healthy at the same time.

Anyway, sorry if that was a bad bout of TMI- hopefully I haven't over shared right off the bat!! Please feel free to add me! I'm excited to meet some other new members here.

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck, I just started 5 days ago and already Im feeling better about myself. Have a great day!
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Good luck, lots of support here.
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of people who use it to gain weight and muscle!! theres a huge group of women who just start to lose weight and then within a year they look like body builders! check out the success stories forum. It inspires me everytime :)
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll definitely have to check out that success stories forum!
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    Welcome and good luck, I just started 5 days ago and already Im feeling better about myself. Have a great day!

That definitely inspires confidence to hear! Sounds like everybody that starts this app loses weight pretty quickly when they first start off. Thanks a bunch, and you too!!
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    there are a lot of people who use it to gain weight and muscle!! theres a huge group of women who just start to lose weight and then within a year they look like body builders! check out the success stories forum. It inspires me everytime :)

I noticed a few posts from women who are just trying really hard to maintain their current weights. I think that's awesome; it's so important to be really fit and if being thin is a byproduct than that's awesome! I'll make a point to go check out that forum. I'm still going through old posts and trying to get a feel of the community. I went ahead and added you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If miss me jeans are expensive...I'm spending a fortune on mine :(
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are actually at a healthy weight, not even at the upper end of the healthy weight range. Very few people are going to be healthy at a bmi of less than twenty (assuming from your profile pic that you are caucasian), and you're at about 21. Most doctors would call that perfect. Maybe it's best for you to focus on non-weight related health goals like a new PR for lifing/running/biking or perhaps making sure you are eating a variety of fruit and veg. MFP is a helpful tool for living a healthy lifestyle whether you are losing, maintaining, or gaining weight.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    If miss me jeans are expensive...I'm spending a fortune on mine :(

I spent about $75 on my Miss Me jeans. Seems like last year while I was REALLY skinny I got overly excited about my 25" waistline and bought tons of really nice Buckle jeans; now none of them fit me. X'D
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    You are actually at a healthy weight, not even at the upper end of the healthy weight range. Very few people are going to be healthy at a bmi of less than twenty (assuming from your profile pic that you are caucasian), and you're at about 21. Most doctors would call that perfect. Maybe it's best for you to focus on non-weight related health goals like a new PR for lifing/running/biking or perhaps making sure you are eating a variety of fruit and veg. MFP is a helpful tool for living a healthy lifestyle whether you are losing, maintaining, or gaining weight.

You think so? I'm just so used to having really thin limbs that having meat on my thighs feels weird whenever I'm running or on my elyptical machine. What do you mean by a bmi of less than twenty? (Yes that photo is of me and I'm a tall white 27 year old girl.)
    I'm actually currently on month 2 of the insanity workout and it's part of the reason I'm hesitant to feel too worried about my weight gain because there's that chance that maybe the extra weight is from muscle I've put on
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been there before when I was stressed out, I lost quite a bit of weight bought new clothes and they no longer fit! I just bought new nice expensive jeans!! HA HA. You will probably gain weight once you start builiding muscle and working out, I know I always do and I try not to look at the scale too much and get disappointed. I can tell by how my clothes fit. Good luck and feel free to add me if you like!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You think so? I'm just so used to having really thin limbs that having meat on my thighs feels weird whenever I'm running or on my elyptical machine. What do you mean by a bmi of less than twenty? (Yes that photo is of me and I'm a tall white 27 year old girl.)
    I'm actually currently on month 2 of the insanity workout and it's part of the reason I'm hesitant to feel too worried about my weight gain because there's that chance that maybe the extra weight is from muscle I've put on

Highly unlikely you added muscle while using Insanity, but there is zero reason to fear muscle. Women just don't get bulky. It's easier to maintain a lean body when we have more muscle. More muscle means you can eat more without gaining fat.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I saw your topic and thought about my True Religions that I can't get into but I will!! I'm 5'9 and if I get to 140 I'd be happy!! :smile:
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

BMI is body mass index; a height to weight ratio calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height squared in meters. According to the NHS and other public health services whites should aim for a bmi between 20-25, those of Asian decent should aim for 18.5-23, and those of African descent 20-26. (It should be noted bmi is not super-accurate for body-building types because their percentage of muscle is so high). So yeah, you're definitely healthy, not even VAGUELY heavy. I know your new body might take some getting used to , but remember you were on a very harsh STIMULANT drug. Your weight while taking stimulants is not your natural weight and in all probability was not the weight healthiest for you. Like I said, I would switch your focus to fitness related goals. And as for the jeans, I have taken my old stuff to high-end thrift stores when I put on a bunch of muscle and couldn't fit into them any longer. They gave me a store credit in return for the clothes which I then turned around and bought new ones with...so I basically traded in my old clothes for a fun new wardrobe.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options

BMI is body mass index; a height to weight ratio calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height squared in meters. According to the NHS and other public health services whites should aim for a bmi between 20-25, those of Asian decent should aim for 18.5-23, and those of African descent 20-26. (It should be noted bmi is not super-accurate for body-building types because their percentage of muscle is so high). So yeah, you're definitely healthy, not even VAGUELY heavy. I know your new body might take some getting used to , but remember you were on a very harsh STIMULANT drug. Your weight while taking stimulants is not your natural weight and in all probability was not the weight healthiest for you. Like I said, I would switch your focus to fitness related goals. And as for the jeans, I have taken my old stuff to high-end thrift stores when I put on a bunch of muscle and couldn't fit into them any longer. They gave me a store credit in return for the clothes which I then turned around and bought new ones with...so I basically traded in my old clothes for a fun new wardrobe.

Oooooh, so it's a ratio to determine body mass. I was wondering, since that acronym is used pretty frequently on the boards it seems like. I'll have to read up more on it. I've actually considered taking my old jeans to a consignment shop to try and make a little cash to invest in a new wardrobe. I think wearing clothes that are too small on you tend to be awful for the body image. Thanks for giving me a little insight. For some reason it's just a little off-putting when you go from being model thin to an actual healthy weight. You kind of feel like superstar when you accomplish that standard of ridiculous thinness.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    I saw your topic and thought about my True Religions that I can't get into but I will!! I'm 5'9 and if I get to 140 I'd be happy!! :smile:

DEAR LAWDY. If I owned a $300 gorgeous pair of True Religions jeans than I would chuck the health book and go crash dieting like crazy!!
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options

Highly unlikely you added muscle while using Insanity, but there is zero reason to fear muscle. Women just don't get bulky. It's easier to maintain a lean body when we have more muscle. More muscle means you can eat more without gaining fat.

I definitely find a toned body the most attractive. I think that Insanity helps you tone up even if it doesn't make you really build a ton of muscle. Do you recommend any kind of specific program for strength training?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I definitely find a toned body the most attractive. I think that Insanity helps you tone up even if it doesn't make you really build a ton of muscle. Do you recommend any kind of specific program for strength training?

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Something else you pick for free off of Bodybuilding.com
  • Deninja22
    Options
    I am with you girl. I had a terrible divorce and went from awesome (muscular) 102 to 122. To top off feeling bad about myself the weight gain didn't help either. That's why I joined so I can get my focus and confidence back. Let's make it happen chica!
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    I am with you girl. I had a terrible divorce and went from awesome (muscular) 102 to 122. To top off feeling bad about myself the weight gain didn't help either. That's why I joined so I can get my focus and confidence back. Let's make it happen chica!

I'm sorry to hear about that!! Stress does awful things to the body. Good luck with your new fitness endeavors! I hope we both make tons of progress. :D