Fiber Questions

Options
Hey all,

I have been diagnosed with IBS because I had massive stomach cramping and pain about 3 years ago. I have always struggled with chronic constipation, and as a suggestion my GP told me to try Metamucil. I worked myself up to 3 doses a day which brought me to about, 15 grams of fiber a day. However, after about 3 months is when I started experiencing the symptoms.

Since then I've gotten completely away from Metamucil and started trying to get fiber in other ways, although nuts and course fibers seem to be too harsh for me... For the longest time I've been taking Fiber One Original, a cup a day, and leaving it at that. However, recently I came to find out it's only Insoluble Fiber... The thing about constipation is usually it comes from a lack of water intake which I use to be bad about, and too much protein, which I'm now having to get regardless, and on top of that Insoluble Fiber does nothing to reduce the ease of passing through the GI track, just increases the amount passing...

I've been taking a soluble fiber supplement every day, 2 fiber gummies about 5 grams, to add to my cup of Fiber One and that has not yielded the desired results... I'm struggling very much to find a way to increase my Soluble Fiber every day without increasing my Insoluble Fiber or replacing what doesn't upset my stomach, the Fiber One...

The label on these Fiber Gummies says not to exceed the 2 gummies per day, however if I could take 6 a day, and half a cup of Fiber One, I'd be around 30 grams of Fiber 15/15 and that to me seems like the perfect solution... However, I read nothing but people telling me not to do this, and I can't find a reason why... Everyone says too much fiber causes problems, which I'm well aware of, but I've been taking about 30 grams of fiber a day for well over 5 months and I'm simply trying to decrease my constipation symptoms by adding more Soluble Fiber...

Can someone explain why I can't take 6 gummies a day, and what I could possibly do as a replacement without increasing my Insoluble fiber?

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Instead of gummies, try adding real foods high in fiber to your diet.
    Beans, any type - very high in soluble fiber
    Oat Bran, but not wheat bran (oat bran is the king of soluble fiber)
    Barley (in soup of course)
    Fiber one bars - have a soluble fiber called inulin, works very good for me.
    leafy greens - especially spinach

cannot overstress - drink plenty of water.

try to avoid or reduce carbonated beverages and coffee and dairy with IBS. hope this helped a little
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and most fruits are good sources of soluble fiber, as are some grains like oats and barley.

Benefiber is a soluble fiber supplement you could try.
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars are a great source of fiber as well. Usually somewhere around 17 grams of fiber.