Exercises while recovering from a torn calf muscle?

Options
Hi ????
My regular exercise was a daily 3.5 mile walk. A week ago I tore a muscle in my right calf so badly that now, a week later, I am hobbling around with a walking stick. My doctor has prescribed rest and pain killers. Fine. But now, though I stay (mostly) within my calorie limit of 1200 I am finding my weight creeping back up. This depresses me. Which makes me want to comfort eat. You know the scene.
Can any one suggest a calorie burning exercise (apart from hobbling around) which I, at the ripe old age of 66, will be able to do without putting any pressure on my right leg?
Thanks in advance, if you can!

Replies

• evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looking through other posts about torn calf muscles because I have one. Has yours completely healed?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It won't heal in a week.

OP - try some swimming. Very little direct calf impact. Even less with proper form and technique.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It won't heal in a week.

OP - try some swimming. Very little direct calf impact. Even less with proper form and technique.

Yeah....I had a little mis-step doing sprint drills...not ripped apart, but well stretched and in every color of the rainbow, from knee to ankle...impressive size, too... I pretty muc limped to the gym for about 6 weeks, and it took about 6 months total until I dared to jump a bit...

Swimming wasn't really a good idea, though. Not because of the impact, but the resistance of the water against the foot and the calf was enough to make it miserable. Some limited water aerobics might work, however.
    I managed to hobble to the gym several times per week, and did plenty of upper body workouts. Anything really, that didn't need my feet. Not being able to jump up on the pullup bar, but with the help of a box, I did improve my pullups at the time, too....lol

@ seamoth: The stationary bike worked quite well for me as cardio exercise. Just a steady state motion, with little to no resistance can create quite a bit of a burn. The 'good' foot can kick a little harder without getting overworked, and the hurt foot will just go along for the ride.
    66 isn't too late to start something new. Ask your doc, if you can safely start exercising for strength, too. I have observed many ladies and gentlemen in the gym, much older than you, who regularly trained on the machines for upper and lower body strength. Their doctors suggested that they improve their flexibility, and also the ability to get themselves off the ground, in case of a fall.
    And it burns calories!

Be safe! Get well soon! :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That's kind of why I mentioned form.

I have a half retarded two beat kick, so I hardly use my legs when swimming, mostly just to keep the hips high in the water column.

I'd be in with a doctor stat though.

Muscle tear? O eff that.