Are my calories too low?

What's up everyone?

I'm new to the whole diet/exercise thing, and I just have a couple of questions regarding my calorie intake and moving forward with weight loss in general.

So to give you a background on me, I'm 5'10, currently 270lbs. I have MFP's app, and I have my weight goal set to 180, losing 2lbs a week. That puts me at 1790 calories, 180g of Carbs, 135g of Protein, & 60g of Fat per day. For my current height and weight, do all of these numbers seem too low to be unhealthy? Reason I ask is because I'm afraid I'm putting myself at risk for low hormones, low energy, and losing any muscle mass I currently have (which probably isn't much seeing as I'm at a sedentary level). I've heard that it's very unhealthy to be on a 1,000 calorie deficit diet, another reason why I'm asking.

Another question I have is with all the BS; on the internet, in the gym, in magazines, etc, will doing heavy weights (StrongLifts 5x5 is what I'm highly considering) help me to lose weight in fat while building strength (NOT bulking), or am I setting myself up for failure? Basically, I'm trying to come to a conclusion if I should do cardio for the first 50lbs, then strength train to lose the remaining body fat, or if I should not waste my time with cardio in general and just go straight to strength training (like most people I've talked to have recommended).

Thanks in advance guys, and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So when you log it, you're expected to eat calories back. However, calorie burn estimates are rather generous. Many people eat back between 50-75%.

Cardio will give you more calories back and is great for building stamina. The closer you get to goal the more important strength training becomes as it helps you keep lean muscle mass. For a time you can get by with just cardio, heavier people can. But I would recommend (for now) do the thing you like to do best. This is (hopefully) a lifestyle change. Build some consistency.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Sounds like you have it about right. Be sure to eat back atleast 75% of your work out calories though if you are using MFP's calculator. Also, it is never too soon to incorporate weight training. It will help you build lean muscle which in turn will help you burn more calories. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Have a read of this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read all the links and all the links of the links. It will take a couple of hours but it will answer all your questions and suggest how to get going on a life changing experience :-)

good luck
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Just a question, what if you don't eat back calories that you burned? My calorie goal is set at 1200. Sometimes it goes up to 1450 when I do some cardio. So what if Im just staying at a consumption of 1200 calories/day?
    Thanks in advance.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    I noticed personally that gaining muscle made my appetite go up quite a bit. If your main goal is losing weight than it's definitely a good idea to start up a cardio regiment and be sure you are eating enough food. Even if you want to lose a hundred pounds it's important to eat right whenever you start up an exercise routine that your body isn't accustomed too. Otherwise you end up feeling burnt out and gassed in the middle of your exercise.

Be careful you don't overdo it at first when you're starting out because you might end up overwhelming yourself and quickly fall back into old habits.

Paul Mckenna actually wrote this book I wrote awhile back that addresses the issues with attempting crash dieting and it has some really awesome insights. It's called "I Can Make You Thin." It's a really short read and I definitely recommend it.
  • davert123
    ps my experience with 1000 a day is that it is possible for quite extended periods of time (weeks). I do it but I need to give my body a boost occasionally. I tend to do it with exercise - I end up still eating 2500 to 3000 calories per day but hit my macros rather than fill up with junk. I tend to go high on protein. The more exercise I do the more protein I eat. I go for between 0.8 and 1 gram per lean body pound (you can get rough estimate calculators by searching google). MFP puts my calorie total at 1350 at the moment for 2 lb per week and I honestly could not live off this amount - if burn a load though I can eat until I'm full, get a load on nutrients and still run a 1000 deficit (as well as significantly increasing my overall fitness) I'm planning on reducing the deficit at some point in the future but I do try and train smart (using a polar HRM which allows me to track my overall exercise load so I don't blow myself up). This works for me because I cut hard but then allow myself to recover for a couple of days when I need to - both exercise wise and food wise.

good luck
  • TeaBea
    Just a question, what if you don't eat back calories that you burned? My calorie goal is set at 1200. Sometimes it goes up to 1450 when I do some cardio. So what if Im just staying at a consumption of 1200 calories/day?
    Thanks in advance.

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum DEFAULT for women.

Not eating calories back will have you lose "weight" faster. Weight will be fat+muscle unless 1. You are obese ...or 2. you take steps to minimize muscle loss.

Minimize muscle loss by strength training, eating lots of protein, and keeping a moderate deficit......see chart above for appropriate pounds per week goal. If you selected aggressive weight loss...this isn't moderate.

Don't worry about lifting weights adding lean muscle.....you can't build any appreciable muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • Wow. Thank you everyone for the quick replies. You guys don't mess around, do you? LOL
    MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So when you log it, you're expected to eat calories back. However, calorie burn estimates are rather generous. Many people eat back between 50-75%.

Quick question: What if I don't plan on eating back the calories I've burned to ensure a maximum efficiency of weight loss? I don't plan on finding out how many calories I've burned through exercise, since almost every way to determine that I've read online about is inaccurate anyways.
  • davert123
    Thanks in advance.

Hi

Scales weight everything that's inside you - including water, fat, muscle, bone etc. If you cut back too hard your body actually starts to burn muscle as well as fat. The scales will report a loss but the loss won't all be fat, you will have made yourself weaker as well. From what I have read it is better not to cut too hard and to eat over your protein allowance in MFP - do exercise including stuff that stresses your muscle and it helps you keep hold of it. When you don't eat your calories back you are increasing the deficit and therefore potentially be burning more muscle.
  • TeaBea
    Wow. Thank you everyone for the quick replies. You guys don't mess around, do you? LOL

Quick question: What if I don't plan on eating back the calories I've burned to ensure a maximum efficiency of weight loss? I don't plan on finding out how many calories I've burned through exercise, since almost every way to determine that I've read online about is inaccurate anyways.

For awhile....this is ok. The closer you get to goal....the more likely this will be an issue. If you want fat loss....just fat loss....you need to fuel workouts the closer you get.

Finding the appropriate calories to eat back takes a little work. But it's important (for me) to reduce my body fat percentage.....not just pounds. That's healthy weight loss. The number on the scale is just one number. Skinny-fat is not a good look.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Wow. Thank you everyone for the quick replies. You guys don't mess around, do you? LOL

I feel like the only way you can really get an accurate read on exactly how many calories you are burning during an exercise is by wearing a heart monitor, which can be an expensive investment but it is far more accurate than the default cardiovascular exercises logged into the myfitnesspal app.

I think you should play it by ear and if you aren't feeling too exhausted during the day after your exercises than you might be fine.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks in advance.

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum DEFAULT for women.

Not eating calories back will have you lose "weight" faster. Weight will be fat+muscle unless 1. You are obese ...or 2. you take steps to minimize muscle loss.

Minimize muscle loss by strength training, eating lots of protein, and keeping a moderate deficit......see chart above for appropriate pounds per week goal. If you selected aggressive weight loss...this isn't moderate.

Don't worry about lifting weights adding lean muscle.....you can't build any appreciable muscle while eating at a deficit.

Thanks Teabea, I do strength training with resistance bands 4 times a week as well. I really dont want to eat at a deficit either. I don't want to lose muscle! Fat fat fat thats what I want to lose!!!
  • I feel like the only way you can really get an accurate read on exactly how many calories you are burning during an exercise is by wearing a heart monitor, which can be an expensive investment but it is far more accurate than the default cardiovascular exercises logged into the myfitnesspal app.

I think you should play it by ear and if you aren't feeling too exhausted during the day after your exercises than you might be fine.
    For awhile....this is ok. The closer you get to goal....the more likely this will be an issue. If you want fat loss....just fat loss....you need to fuel workouts the closer you get.

Finding the appropriate calories to eat back takes a little work. But it's important (for me) to reduce my body fat percentage.....not just pounds. That's healthy weight loss. The number on the scale is just one number. Skinny-fat is not a good look.

YES! I am looking for JUST fat loss, as my goal is 180lbs and 14% BF. And you're right, skinny-fat is NOT a good look. I want to be that weight/bf and NOT have sagging skin and gyno. Oh god.. how do I prevent that!
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Weight training is crucial!! I've lost over 120 lbs and I've been weight training since the beginning. First off, weight training will create a shapely and defined body that will emerge as you lose weight. Secondly, as woman you will not bulk up unless you are taking measures to do so. Yes the burn is not as immediately intense as cardio but it offers a sustained burn. There are really no down sides to weight training unless you do it incorrectly and hurt yourself. And get off the machines and use free weights!! It can be intimidating as woman to be in the weight room, but you just need to own it for yourself. Make sure you have the fuel in you before working out to sustain your activity and some to recover after. Believe it or not 8oz of chocolate milk is perfect post workout because it restores the sugars you have lost (otherwise you can have body shakes like I do when I push way too hard) and provides some protein to help your muscles recover as well. Good luck!
  • Weight training is crucial!! I've lost over 120 lbs and I've been weight training since the beginning. First off, weight training will create a shapely and defined body that will emerge as you lose weight. Secondly, as woman you will not bulk up unless you are taking measures to do so. Yes the burn is not as immediately intense as cardio but it offers a sustained burn. There are really no down sides to weight training unless you do it incorrectly and hurt yourself. And get off the machines and use free weights!! It can be intimidating as woman to be in the weight room, but you just need to own it for yourself. Make sure you have the fuel in you before working out to sustain your activity and some to recover after. Believe it or not 8oz of chocolate milk is perfect post workout because it restores the sugars you have lost (otherwise you can have body shakes like I do when I push way too hard) and provides some protein to help your muscles recover as well. Good luck!

Thanks for the awesome advice! Sorry I should have clarified, I'm a 22 year old male. Haha. Updating original post now.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    I'm about your height (I weigh 180 tho) and have my calories set at 1750. And I lift weights 3-4x a week. Sounds like you've set up your calories and macros well, if you hit that protein target, you'll feel full. I usually feel hungry if I don't get enough protein and too much sugar.

I would guess that you can up your calories and still lose weight, but from experience, this does feel like a healthy amount of food... give it a try for a bit!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I'm about your height (I weigh 180 tho) and have my calories set at 1750. And I lift weights 3-4x a week. Sounds like you've set up your calories and macros well, if you hit that protein target, you'll feel full. I usually feel hungry if I don't get enough protein and too much sugar.

I would guess that you can up your calories and still lose weight, but from experience, this does feel like a healthy amount of food... give it a try for a bit!

+1. I upped mine just a bit due to activity. You might still one to do a little bit of strength/resistance to help burn fat.
  • I'm about your height (I weigh 180 tho) and have my calories set at 1750. And I lift weights 3-4x a week. Sounds like you've set up your calories and macros well, if you hit that protein target, you'll feel full. I usually feel hungry if I don't get enough protein and too much sugar.

+1. I upped mine just a bit due to activity. You might still one to do a little bit of strength/resistance to help burn fat.

Would it be safe to assume I can do StrongLifts 5x5 program, while doing 45minutes of cardio on the same days? And if so, should I be doing the cardio before weight lifting, or after? And to be specific regarding cardio, I mean walking 2 miles for 45 minutes just to start. I'm really wondering if I should take on both the StrongLifts 5x5 AND Couch Potato to 5k program together, but I'm wondering on 1790 calories if I'm going to overwork myself..
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    I recommend doing some weight training first then save your cardio session for after weight training so you don't use up all that energy in cardio then your weight training session will suffer Big time so hit the weights Heavy and hard to tighten up some of the loose skin as well. The more muscle you pack on the more calories you burn just being sedentary so hit them hard! Good luck!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Honestly yeah I think your calories maybe a little low (i'm half an inch shorter than you, female and about 40 pounds lighter and I'm losing 2-3 pounds per week on 1,654 per day (as a basis plus on big burn days I eat back 20-40% of my exercise calories, I have a heart rate monitor so the burn is fairly accurate). Honestly the best place to get an idea of what your daily calorie intake should be is: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (be honest when you fill it out). I loved the couch to 5K program, (I'm doing the 10K one now) and strength training is a very good idea. Feel free to friend request me if you wish.