Donating blood

Options

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Lesson I learned - It is not a race! U don't have to pump the squeezy ball in your hand to fill the bag faster than the other people. That didn't give me a better score or a medal. It made me pass out, so just don't be all competitive as u are donating. LOL

Tell that to the two people in the chairs next to me, they had a bet on who was going to finish first, even made the nurses put the needles in at the same time.

Oh my gosh lmao. Yeah no worries, I will not be racing if I bring up the courage to do it. I'm working on it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Please be incredibly hydrated and do eat a well balanced meal, but do NOT donate right after eating, you may feel queasy enough to be sick. Also, please be honest about ALL medications, vitamins and supplements you're taking.

Correct. Start hydrating a couple of days before. If you just drink down a bunch of water that same day only your kidneys will be happy.
    You CANNOT donate if you've recently had Aspirin.

WRONG. You can donate if you have had aspirin. They just need to know about it if it has been within the last 72 hours so they can make sure your blood does not go to someone who cannot have aspirin
  • dzstephy
    dzstephy Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    +1 on hydration. I'm not squeamish but I almost passed out after I donated the first time because I made the mistake of not drinking enough water beforehand. Also, try not to give blood during your cycle because that can also make you more likely to feel faint. My advice is only based on personal experience.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water up to and including several days before so that it's easier for your blood to flow.
    And hope you get a good nurse :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've donated tons of times (over 10 gallons). I just sit back and relax and squeeze the play toy they give me until they say stop. Only advice - don't stand up too fast and drink lots of fluids after. You'll be fine.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hello. I would like to donate blood and I know how to go about it. However I am very squeamish about it. And I am also very scared I will pass out which is really unpleasant. Any ideas how I can stop being so squeamish about it and not pass out? I mean I've had tattoo's and people can pass out from those, but never have. I feel donating blood is different though. Have any of you had any experiences with donating?

Make sure you tell the phlebotomist (aka professional vampire) that you are squeamish. You won't be their first one and they can talk you through it or find ways to distract you. As far as fainting, make sure you ate well about 1-2 hours before you go and you should be good. I only fainted once and that was because I hadn't eaten yet that day. Lesson learned.

Thank you for being willing to put aside your fears and give blood. It is the easiest way to really help someone! I have donated just over 2 gallons lifetime and last winter I needed to take back 4 of those pints and am thankful to those who gave the 4 pints I needed.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I donate blood religiously. Which part makes you feel squeamish? Is it the needle stick, sitting there with a needle in, or the feeling after donating blood?

If you're squeamish about the needle stick, it is less painful than a tat or piercing. You don't have to watch, and you can have a friend stand next to you and chat. If you're grossed out by the idea of sitting there with it in, it only feels like light pressure. I play on my phone the whole time I'm donating. If you're afraid of passing out from the bloodloss/feeling woozy, I find that I am wayyyyy less woozy if I donate double red vs the normal whole red. Drink fluids and get some sugar in ya and you'll feel fine.

I have always been squeamish over the part of the arm anti- cubical or whatever it is called ( I'm pretty sure that is not what it is called, but something similar) and I've no idea why. I don't like veins either or seeing the blood come out of that particular area. It is really bizarre. I think if it was in another area, I'd be completely fine, and not even the veins would worry me. It's that bit of arm I just can't do. I sound like a right weirdo, I know. One of my memories of when I was younger was my mum in a van having blood taken. And I think she passed out from it. I've also fainted when I was growing up, from the heat, or dehydration, I grew up in oz so yeah, it was not pleasant being in an Aussie Summer in the hottest part of Australia. And it was a really bad experience, and the fact some people, probably not most faint, I'm scared I'll be one of them and don't want to go through that fear again. Also all this may tie to my hypochondria in some way. I really do want to save lives with my blood and have it go to research too. It would be great. I'd be proud of myself. And I think people who donate are excellent. I don't know if I have long, as my mum had pernicious anemia. And that could be passed down to me. Sorry can't reply to everyone, but thanks for everyones replies past, present, future. I am reading all of them. I personally always make sure I eat a ton before getting tatted, and I am always fine, my anxiety can make me feel dizzy, even when I get sick I usually am just quite dizzy. I'm quite a dizzy person if there is such a thing. I can't spin around in circles for long even. What is donating double vs whole?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to donate blood. Lots of people are squeamish about it, in fact the first time I gave blood (many, many, many years ago when I was in high school) the captain of the football team was the only one who fainted (something karmic going on there).

Let them know it's your first time and don't stress about it.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I donate blood all the time, and it's not necessarily the most fun thing in the world. But just distract yourself and you'll be fine. It doesn't take that long, and it's such a good thing to do! My grandfather had to have many many blood transfusions in the last 6 months of his life, and I know several people whose lives have been saved by donations. It's totally worth the temporary discomfort, IMO.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has been really kind to thank me for trying to get over my fear. I'm going to try real hard. I've always thought to myself 'I'll never be able to do this' but I know I can I just need to really push myself for it. And I am going to make it happen. And I will make sure I eat a good amount, be hydrated, tell the professional vampire hahaha about the fear and bring someone along and try not to switch on the anxiety about it and convince myself I'm going to faint, because if I do that, it will make it more likely lol.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have worked at a Blood Donation center for 14 years. Yes please eat substantially within a couple hours before donation. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids but don't go over board. You can ask them to cover the donation site with paper towels after you are stuck so you don't need to look at it. You are either in a recliner or on a flat bed depending on where you are donating at. Usually the staff know how to keep your attention focused on conversation pretty well and can keep you calm. Depending on your location your tattoos may play a part in your eligibility to donate. You may want to call ahead first and make sure you can before you show up.

After make sure you sit on the bed a few minutes before standing up. Then stand up slowly. I would suggest a salty snack in the refreshment area instead of a sweet one. The sweet snacks sometimes cause nausea for some first timers.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I donate whole blood and platelets regularly. At the time that I started, I hated needles - not to say I'm hugely fond of them now.

Here is my method: when the needle finally rears it's ugly head, I turn away and sing the Star Spangled Banner - usually just the first part. Once the needle is in there, I take slow breaths through my nose and get really chatty. Also, I warn them that I will be singing, poorly at that, when the needle arrives and the phlebotomists are always very supportive. During the process, I remind myself that this won't kill me and it will likely save someone's life.

You can do it.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    And well done everyone donating blood! I am British, from England, so also English if you like, and I read on our website about blood donation that only 4% donate blood of the adult population. That is piss poor. So kudos everyone who does.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I love donating! I love needles and blood! It's even more fun when I'm the one who gets to do it as I'm phlebotomy trained. (Yes, I'm a freak, I know) Some tips for people who are nervous/squeamish, though: (I'll just suggest the opposite of what I do, lol)

* Don't look at the needle
    *Don't watch it go in your arm
    * Don't look at the tube with your blood flowing through it (toss a jacket or scarf over it)
    *They will have you lying down, so if you do pass out no big deal

Drink lots of water the night before, and stay hydrated throughout the day. This will make the donation process go much faster, and you'll feel better afterwards.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm getting squeamish just reading all of your posts about giving blood, even thought I've donated twice in the past year. I decided to donate because I received transfusion when I was in an accident four years ago. My first experience was much more pleasant than I was afraid it would be. I decided to donate again and the second experience was not quite as pleasant. I had this feeling like I was being shocked internally. The guy said he must have gotten too close to a nerve. Thanks! I will definitely be freaked out again the next time I do it because of that.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I started donating when I was 16. Supposedly you had to be 18 or older, but I was a candy-striper at the local hospital and they were short blood so grabbed me and got me to donate. And I have been doing it ever since with some hiatus years due to foreign travel. I am 3 pints away from a lifetime total of 10 gallons. I look forward to donating; easiest gift I can give.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect. By continuing to go even though it's unpleasant, it's gotten a lot easier for me to donate blood each time.

My first time donating, I was squeamish and nervous, and kept on squeezing the little ball used to make my veins easier to find. I filled the bag too quickly and nearly fainted. The next few times, I warned them how it'd gone before, so they watched me more closely and made sure it went at a more reasonable pace.

Try bringing a magazine to look at or striking up a conversation with someone to distract yourself. Look elsewhere and maybe have them cover up the site on your arm if seeing the needle in you makes you queasy.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    And well done everyone donating blood! I am British, from England, so also English if you like, and I read on our website about blood donation that only 4% donate blood of the adult population. That is piss poor. So kudos everyone who does.

The main reason I do donate because If I ever need a transfusion someone else has gone out of their way to donate the blood that will save my life. Im currently on a trial run by the British blood bank to see if there is any risk involed decreasing the time between donations, Currnetly in the UK its something like 12weeks for males and 16 weeks for females. Im trailing donating every 8 week and so far not adverse reactions.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I'm getting squeamish just reading all of your posts about giving blood, even thought I've donated twice in the past year. I decided to donate because I received transfusion when I was in an accident four years ago. My first experience was much more pleasant than I was afraid it would be. I decided to donate again and the second experience was not quite as pleasant. I had this feeling like I was being shocked internally. The guy said he must have gotten too close to a nerve. Thanks! I will definitely be freaked out again the next time I do it because of that.

Sorry! Eh I guess I'd quit reading if I were you :S
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Seeing as I've got tons of interesting responses on here,

BUMP