? Burning too many calories and eating them back?

Options
Hi,
So long story short I do valet for a living which is running back and forth for cars all day long. (great work out) So yesterday I did a 16 hour shift which was of running, walking, standing, getting in and out of cars with only an hour break the whole time. I really burned a lot of calories haven't posted it but it was I think it was around 7000 (yeah I know it seems like a lot) So today I feel like crap. My body is worn out im sweaty feel like I need salt and lots of water. (it was about 90 degrees out yesterday here). I know I came no where close to how many calories I should eat and was wondering if eating back calories was a 24 hour thing or from wake up to going to sleep thing. I really feel like my body needs extra food today but don't want to go over my calories for today if it's just going to mess everything up.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with a 7,000 calorie burn?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    7,000 calorie burn? Unless you're in BUD/S... I don't think that's correct at all lol.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with a 7,000 calorie burn?

This.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to push myself too hard, or limit myself to excess. When I have done so I feel the same way you described, generally I give myself a break and yes, some extra calories. It wouldn't hurt for you to have your blood pressure and sugar checked however. With you craving salt your electrolytes may be out of balance, are you re-hydrating periodically at work?
  • Tamzy00
    Tamzy00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is what my doctor and research taught me. Set a calorie goal for yourself to lose weight then stay at that goal. If you exercise to burn some of it off, you need to eat that much back to keep net calories the same. For example, my BMR is over 2800 (calories burned per day just by existing). My calorie goal is 1200 per day, that's a huge deficit for weight loss. If I exercise and burn some off, then I fall below 1200 and must eat more. So even though I may eat 1700 calories in a day, since I exercised it all balances out. What you don't want to do is eat fewer calories AND exercise or your body will start conserving which is what you don't want. Just find a good balance. MFP is good about showing me exercise credits so I can keep track of what I need for the day. For your line of work, you should consider getting a fitbit. It tracks steps, speed, and elevation and automatically communicates calories burned to MFP so all you have to do is wear it and check in later on in the day to see where you stand. Its great.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    . no way you burned 7000 I dont see how that is possible.Maybe if you were severely overweight its possible if you worked out all day) not to mention I think that would be dangerous. I would say if you are feeling sick its most likely from heat exhaustion.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Try setting your exercise to "active" which better represents your daily calorie burn if you have a job where you're moving around all day. Then eat up to that amount and don't eat back the calories you think you burn during the day or your exercises. The idea is to have your activity level represent the lifestyle you have, including your job and exercise. Keep in mind that you probably don't burn equal amounts of calories everyday and doing this method averages it out. So for example, you did a 16 hour shift yesterday, but have been pretty sedentary today (assumed since you said you're not feeling well) so those two days balance out.

Setting your activity on active: "Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)" - That describes you. Now you don't have to worry about the calories you burn at work (which is very unlikely to be 7000 calories).
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Buy a body media
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    7000 ?!? is that a guess, or are you using a HRM ?? you must be REALLY busy..thats 437 cals an hour..i need a job like that to even burn half that much..i would even take 1/5 that much..i have my goal set at 1400 cals intake a day, so to me thats burning 5 days worth of cals in just under 1 full day..i think you should (if you arent already using 1) buy a hrm to gauge that correctly, then decide from there..remember to keep totally hydrated too..good luck:smile:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    A lot of people (myself included) balance their calories by the week instead of by the day. I know I go over on Saturday's so I always try to eat a little under durning the week to make up for it. Your body doesn't run on a clock and has no concept of time (at least not how we view it) so you won't do any damage eating a little more (even if you go over) today.

I will say that 7,000 sounds like a lot! I would guess that's way overestimated. If you want to be sure how many calories you're burning, get an activity tracker or at the very least a pedometer so you have a much more accurate way of knowing how many calories you burned. Also, I'm assuming when you set MFP up, you selected a higher activity level (at least you should have based on what you say about your job) so MFP is already giving you SOME extra calories for those day. I only point these things out so you don't over compisate and derail your progress.

Bottom line, yes you can eat more today to make up for yesterday but it would be much more helpful if you knew how much more you could eat.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Since it's not a steady cardio burn, it's unlikely your calorie burn is that high. get a fitbit. You didn't burn that many calories, you're probably just dehydrated. Set your activity level at high for the day and you'll be fine.
  • jke78
    Options
    Try setting your exercise to "active" which better represents your daily calorie burn if you have a job where you're moving around all day. Then eat up to that amount and don't eat back the calories you think you burn during the day or your exercises. The idea is to have your activity level represent the lifestyle you have, including your job and exercise. Keep in mind that you probably don't burn equal amounts of calories everyday and doing this method averages it out. So for example, you did a 16 hour shift yesterday, but have been pretty sedentary today (assumed since you said you're not feeling well) so those two days balance out.

Setting your activity on active: "Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)" - That describes you. Now you don't have to worry about the calories you burn at work (which is very unlikely to be 7000 calories).

This is good sound advice.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    +1 to getting something like a FitBit if you're that active. I highly doubt it's 7000 calories - you don't look like an extremely big person.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In answer to your initial question, it's a 24/7 situation related to the condition your body is in NOW. So, it sounds like you may be dehydrated and may have low blood sugar at present which means you probably didn't eat or drink enough yesterday. Did your body "close the books" when you went to bed last night? No, it is telling you NOW that something is out of kilter and you probably need to eat and drink NOW to fix it. It would have told you earlier but you were asleep. Had you eaten and drunk more last night, you would probably feel fine now.

To avoid such a feeling in the future, make sure to drink enough and eat enough before, during and after to try to keep things in balance and feel good all the time.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I did my 10 mile long run yesterday and burned 1400 calories in 1:40:00. To get to 7000 calories i'd need to do that 5 times, or basically run the equivalent of 2 marathons. You are way over estimating calories.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    7000 calories doesn't sound all that far fetched to me for a 16 hour shift. I burn 1500 cals running for 2:30 hours during my long runs (with walking breaks) averaging a 11-12 minute pace overall. I'm 5'5, 180 lbs. and thats calculated by my forerunner 10 and fitbit.

Definitely hydrate hydrate hydrate, making sure some of that is gatorade or the like with the high temperatures. I try to get my calories in on the day I work out, but if it's late I might shift the extra calories to the next day. I keep it pretty flexible. Listen to your body. If you're feeling zonked, eat more or drink more.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    7000 calories doesn't sound all that far fetched to me for a 16 hour shift. I burn 1500 cals running for 2:30 hours during my long runs (with walking breaks) averaging a 11-12 minute pace overall. I'm 5'5, 180 lbs. and thats calculated by my forerunner 10 and fitbit.

Definitely hydrate hydrate hydrate, making sure some of that is gatorade or the like with the high temperatures. I try to get my calories in on the day I work out, but if it's late I might shift the extra calories to the next day. I keep it pretty flexible. Listen to your body. If you're feeling zonked, eat more or drink more.

Well obviously don't listen to this. you might burn that many calories in 2 1/2 hours, but you certain aren't going to maintain that kind of pace over 16 hours. Seriously? And a valet is walking to and from cars and then sitting and then driving them briefly, not maintaining the kind of high-levelcardio you are talking about. Stop.
  • jke78
    Options

Well obviously don't listen to this. you might burn that many calories in 2 1/2 hours, but you certain aren't going to maintain that kind of pace over 16 hours. Seriously? And a valet is walking to and from cars and then sitting and then driving them briefly, not maintaining the kind of high-levelcardio you are talking about. Stop.

I don't think the issue of exactly how many calories she burned is important. She is exhibiting obvious signs of physical distress, that is what is important here. The number just isn't of great significance in this particular situation.