Oatmeal question

Options
I have brought stone ground oatmeal (http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272309300) but I am wondering if anyone had any tricks on how to cook it quickly as in the mornings I don't have time to wait for 20-30mins for it to cook and the packet doesn't give any microwave instructions any ideas would be great (I am in the uk if that makes a difference to recipes or ideas lol) ????

Replies

• lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've never used those types of oats before, but have heard they cook quicker if you soak them overnight.
  • kendie_mac
    kendie_mac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'll typically make a larger batch when I have time then stick it in the frig. It's quick to warm up. Just add some extra water or milk to make it creamier again.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Google overnight oats. You can make them the night before and have them ready to go in the morning. I hate oatmeal so I can't recommend a specific method or recipe (though it will be to your taste somewhat anyway, in terms of the texture, etc) but they've been all the rage for awhile now.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Google overnight oats. You can make them the night before and have them ready to go in the morning. I hate oatmeal so I can't recommend a specific method or recipe (though it will be to your taste somewhat anyway, in terms of the texture, etc) but they've been all the rage for awhile now.

Does overnight oats mean the ones you eat cold with yogurt? Cos I don't really like them.
    Thanks for all the other ideas I will try cooking night before and warming them back up but any other ideas are still welcome ????
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if you live in the UK well Im sure you can get your hands on a box of quaker oats 'oat so simple' sachets of the stuff. simply put the oats in a bowl or mug. (I put mine in a krispy kreme mug lol) use the packet to measure out milk/water. stick in the microwave....2min-2.30secs....boom you got lovely hot oatmeal (or as porridge as I like to call it lol) you can get loads of different flavours, I have mine plain and mix with yummy flavoured protein powder. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make a bit batch in the crockpot or during the week end, so you can just reheat portions in the morning.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I make a week's worth of oatmeal using the crock pot and then portion them in small freezer bowls and freeze them and then just throw them in the microwave to heat up.
  • chezzabelle82
    Options
    if you live in the UK well Im sure you can get your hands on a box of quaker oats 'oat so simple' sachets of the stuff. simply put the oats in a bowl or mug. (I put mine in a krispy kreme mug lol) use the packet to measure out milk/water. stick in the microwave....2min-2.30secs....boom you got lovely hot oatmeal (or as porridge as I like to call it lol) you can get loads of different flavours, I have mine plain and mix with yummy flavoured protein powder. :)

I normally do buy them but I brought oatmeal cos I thought you would be able to cook it in the microwave ????????
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I second the crock pot. You can make one batch that will last all week. I made apple cinnamon raisin stone ground oats that were amazing!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'll typically make a larger batch when I have time then stick it in the frig. It's quick to warm up. Just add some extra water or milk to make it creamier again.

This.
    There's no way to hurry up steel cut oats but they are tasty (better than the regular oats, I find). I can only make them on weekends or pre-cook it like stated above.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are so good and healthy...
    Here is my trick
    Just before bed at night I put 3-1/2 cups of apple cider (NOT juice) in the crockpot with a pinch of salt
    Add 1 cup of steel cut oats and stir gently
    Cover with the lid and turn crock pot to low just before going to bed for the night.
    In the morning your oats will be ready and you'll have several servings to refrigerate for the next few days.
    No need to add milk or sweetener but I do love a few toasted walnuts
    I sometime add diced apples to the crock pot before cooking or you can add raisins or any dried fruit of your choice.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I cook them in the microwave for 2 minutes, then add honey, peanut butter and cinnimon. I'd say if you can reheat them from the fridge it would be the best option because they would digest faster.
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I normally do buy them but I brought oatmeal cos I thought you would be able to cook it in the microwave ????????

do you mean the big bags of oats you can get? ive used them in the microwave too. its the same thing, only knowing how to measure it out. ive done mine enough times to know how much milk/water to put in. just enough to cover the oats and just zap in microwave till done. Hope that helps :) x
  • Bouteloua1234
    Bouteloua1234 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've cooked them in the microwave before. Just use the same ratio of water to oatmeal that they suggest for cooking on the store, and microwave on Med-High for about 5 minutes. Some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need more/less time (if it's a bit crunchy, just add another minute).

Also, use a bowl *much* bigger than you think you need. I found the stone-cut oats to foam a lot as they boiled, and have had to deal with overflow a number of times. Makes for a messy microwave.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never used those types of oats before, but have heard they cook quicker if you soak them overnight.

This^

I use Instant steel cut (5 minute variety) and pour boiling water on them the night before. Then I snap a tight lid on them. In the morning they are ready in 2 minutes.

If this doesn't reduce time enough for you - pre-cook regular steel cut in a rice cooker or crock pot. Then dole out individual portions for the week.

You'll have to experiment. My crock pot makes baby food mush for regular steel cut oats, if I leave the oats in there for more than a couple of hours. Overnight ruins the texture for me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    slow cooker(crockpot) night before; next caller. . . .
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Try mixing the oatmeal with the water or milk and water and microwave for 2 minutes on full power. It may take 3 rd minute. Make sure you use a wide basin because it will boil up and if it is too shallow and narrow it will flood the m/wave.

I have started using self-raising whole meal flour. It gives the cakes I tried it in a more interesting texture. They were more filling which made them less moreish.

I'm in the UK too.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but not eating it now because it's high in carbs, I love the steel cut too. Maybe later when I lose my weight I can have some. Thanks for all the suggestions, really good ones
  • chezzabelle82
    Options
    Will give them a try in the morning with the microwave to see what happens lol. Regarding the oats so simple person yeah it's a big bag but it's not the Scottish oats your thinking if they are more ground down and look brown lol (they don't sound appealing the way I have described lol)