Im new to this "make better choices thing" help ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    for example: I don't eat most "light" foods, because most contain more ADDED sugar than "regular" ones (and usually lots of other stuff). And I like a diet high in fat (and lower in added sugar)

See, this is why I think the question was confusing. I'd consider a "light" food to include using a vinegar or dressing made of vinegar and mustard or vinegar plus just a bit of olive oil or lower fat dairy, and none of those include more "added sugar" (except that I guess the ingredients in a homemade dressing that aren't focused on fat might), like if you are bothered by balsamic vinegar or adding a bit of honey or whatever.
    Yup. I get it. On here, though, I often see "light" as being a "low fat" option. Like "light mayo".
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Baby steps my friend. So for a while you have light dressing and diet coke. Maybe in a month or two you start to switch to vinegar and replace some diet soda with water. I think as you see results you will be motivated to make more drastic changes. Just figure out what's a "better" choice than what you did before and stay the course! Best of luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of "processed" foods especially those that are "low fat".

So what does this mean? 0% fat dairy? I see absolutely nothing wrong with lower fat dairy, although I also see nothing wrong with full fat dairy if people prefer it. Sometimes I think there's this idea that "diet" foods are bad, by definition, that gets extended too far.

I mean, I drink diet soda, and have no shame about it, but it seems kind of unfair to lump it and Fage 0% in the same basket and suggest that eating, say, 0% fat yogurt means one is not concerned about nutrition as well as cutting calories (not saying you said this, but something I'm reading in some of the posts). I totally agree that the fat fear was over the top once upon a time and that fat can actually help someone trying to reduce calories, because of satiation, but that doesn't mean that one must only eat full fat everything. I mean, some classic "low fat" and "processed" foods are skinless boneless chicken breasts and low fat ground beef and, especially, ground turkey. Those are quite popular among many of the nutrition-conscious is my impression and while they aren't usually my favorites (I don't do ground turkey and prefer my chicken with bones and skin), I don't think they are actually counterproductive. It depends on how much you like them and where you want to save calories. I mostly think people should be aware of the tradeoffs.
    I'm a supporter of anything that you can do that will keep you on the road to a healthier life, is a good thing. It doesn't do much good to radically change your eating habits to be completely healthy from day one, if you can only stick to it for a week or two, and then fall back to all your bad habits. It's much better to slowly make the changes you can stick with long term.

Good advice.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Ranch is pretty fantastic as such things go. Sold in the veggie section of most grocery chains.

I just found this dressing and I am hooked. SO good! I bought the honey mustard which is just 45 calories per serving. Yay! I typically don't like the way light dressings taste so I'd rather use the full-fat stuff. Unless your salad is absolutely ginormous, two tablespoons is plenty. On the other hand, I can't live without diet soda. My opinion is that as long as you enjoy the taste, they're both fine.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat heavy calorie "sauces" like dressings.. I just portion my meals appropriately to make room for them :)
  • jbowers1978
    jbowers1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, I found that if I eat salad (1) I want too much ranch dressing so it's not really healthy and (2) I need to focus on more protein versus more veggies to keep my energy up and not get hungry. I haven't been eating much salad at all - if I'm going for veggies, cooked/hot ones seem to make me feel more full. I'm focusing more on things like chicken breast, hardboiled egg yolks, etc.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh .. I just thought of something else I do that might help (I eat a LOT of salad).

I'm a big fan of "taco" style salads .. If you like avocado - the consistency of this will add the "creamy" factor you're looking for in a dressing. I have also put salsa on a lot of salads too (sodium's a tad higher in this so be careful). I'm actually doing the salsa trick tonight on some pasta :)

Best of luck!
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of "lite" or diet anything, I did however pick up a really yummy newman's own salad dressing in raspberry walnut flavor. It is really tasty. but honestly I usually just stick to a serving size of the regular stuff, it is usually plenty to cover the salad.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of "processed" foods especially those that are "low fat".

So what does this mean? 0% fat dairy? I see absolutely nothing wrong with lower fat dairy, although I also see nothing wrong with full fat dairy if people prefer it. Sometimes I think there's this idea that "diet" foods are bad, by definition, that gets extended too far.

I mean, I drink diet soda, and have no shame about it, but it seems kind of unfair to lump it and Fage 0% in the same basket and suggest that eating, say, 0% fat yogurt means one is not concerned about nutrition as well as cutting calories (not saying you said this, but something I'm reading in some of the posts). I totally agree that the fat fear was over the top once upon a time and that fat can actually help someone trying to reduce calories, because of satiation, but that doesn't mean that one must only eat full fat everything. I mean, some classic "low fat" and "processed" foods are skinless boneless chicken breasts and low fat ground beef and, especially, ground turkey. Those are quite popular among many of the nutrition-conscious is my impression and while they aren't usually my favorites (I don't do ground turkey and prefer my chicken with bones and skin), I don't think they are actually counterproductive. It depends on how much you like them and where you want to save calories. I mostly think people should be aware of the tradeoffs.
    I'm a supporter of anything that you can do that will keep you on the road to a healthier life, is a good thing. It doesn't do much good to radically change your eating habits to be completely healthy from day one, if you can only stick to it for a week or two, and then fall back to all your bad habits. It's much better to slowly make the changes you can stick with long term.

Good advice.

I guess I wasn't specific enough, what I was talking about in regards to "low fat" processed foods I wasn't talking about basic dairy (though aside from greek yogurt and cheese I don't eat dairy) or ground meat, or chicken breasts. I was specifically talking about packaged foods (such as salad dressings, breads, prepared frozen items (like lean cuisine) etc. My family is shocked that I even use salad dressing mix (only for ranch) I make a thousand island that uses greek yogurt, home made relish and ketchup (which is also homemade) (yes I am a food snob and not ashamed of it). The biggest reason is I don't do well with much sodium in my diet (and never have) and processed foods tend to have massive amounts of it, plus I have the time, and the knowledge to make almost anything myself from scratch. Obviously what works for one, doesn't work for all, and I am by no means judging anyone for the choices they make in regards to what works for their fitness goals. If one can't maintain a dramatic change, then one should take baby steps and if low fat processed foods helps them take the first steps then that is great, but they should be aware that it isn't the only option.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I prefer Italian dressing and prefer the Good Seasons packets. I started making it with less oil and more vinegar. So it's my own "light" dressing.

I drink diet soda because I think regular soda tastes too sweet. I don't drink it regularly, but I sure enjoy one when I have it.

Another fairly painless swap I made was eliminating flavored creamers in my morning coffee. Holy calorie bombs. I probably drank a few hundred calories just in flavored creamer! Now I measure out a tablespoon or 2 of half and half. I'm trying to eliminate it all together and just start drinking it black.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've stumbled on Yogurt salad dressing which tastes unbelievable. I generally always look at sodium due for blood pressure reasons. Other than that, I don't look for anything "light" today than I did before I was more conscious of calorie intake.

Do you mind sharing the brand name of the dressing you are talking about? My daughter currently loves ranch and I would love to see if I can find a better option for her.

Sure - it's Wegmans.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people using Greek yogurt and seasonings to make salad dressings. Haven't tried it myself, but will soon. I'd agree that water is definitely better than soda, but it's okay to have an occasional diet soda. I'd stay away from regular soda, though. If you want to see what's in regular soda, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZp29Qeu8_U

It will make you think twice about drinking soda!