Good tennis shoes for running?

Options
I have just recently started to run. I am doing the couch to 5k program. All is going well except I need a new pair of tennis shoes with more support. I have a pair of nikes now, but they aren't working for me.They are comfortable for doing the elliptical or walking but after running for a little I can tell the lack of support. Please tell me any running shoes that you love! and thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• giampi260271
    Options
    Never never use tennis shoes for running. Go to a running shop and test them on your feet, don't choose considering brands or color. If it's a good running shop I'm sure you will be happy as buying your first pair of running shoes is quite an experience.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Brooks are great running shoes. Good luck and just do it! Work it into your daily habits and you'll have success! :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Never never use tennis shoes for running. Go to a running shop and test them on your feet, don't choose considering brands or color. If it's a good running shop I'm sure you will be happy as buying your first pair of running shoes is quite an experience.
    this and only this.

brand/color/style is secondary.

FIT is number one.

go to a running store, get fitted. that's really all that matters.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks, and I love them. But if you're serious about running, your best bet is to go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have your feet and your gait evaluated by someone who knows what to look for. They will choose the best shoes for your feet and have you run around in them to make sure they feel comfortable on you and offer the support you're looking for.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't do any hardcore running anymore, but when I was training for and running a half marathon, my two favorite brands were Brooks and Saucony. I also like Patagonia for trail running shoes. But, I found it really just comes down to your foot. Some will love Nikes, some will hate them (like me). Some will love Brooks and some will hate them.

If you've got a running store near you, I highly recommend you go in there and get your gait tested -- how you strike the ground will make a big difference in the best shoe for you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Good football shoes for Olympic weightlifting?
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I always go to the running sneaker shop. I think here they call it Runners Room. Getting a pair of sneaks to fit well, varies shoe to shoe. Here the shop will assess your feet for free and advise the type of support you need and show you the various models that have that support. I have asics, Nike, reebok, and others. Each brand carries shoes that provide different support. Good luck and congratulations on starting the c25k :)
  • Pameleaner
    Pameleaner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Be really careful. I would say you need proper running shoes. When I was younger I tore the ligaments in both knees by running in tennis shoes after my running shoes wore out. It's a real mistake.
    All the best,
    Pam
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd wait until I finished C25K before I had my gait analyzed and let a running store sell me a pair of running shoes. I don't think my gait had developed into how I would actually run, yet.

OTOH, if you can tell that what you're wearing won't work, you might appreciate what the running store puts you in. I don't have all the answers.

I'm a huge fan of the minimalist movement - I only want my shoes to protect my feet from road debris and weather. It would be a good idea to decide beforehand if you want to strengthen your body's natural mechanics or choose a shoe to correct your gait - it will influence what sort of shoe you should buy. The running store is more likely to try to fit you into the second category.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the minimalist movement - I only want my shoes to protect my feet from road debris and weather. It would be a good idea to decide beforehand if you want to strengthen your body's natural mechanics or choose a shoe to correct your gait - it will influence what sort of shoe you should buy. The running store is more likely to try to fit you into the second category.

I agree. I have been through plantar fascitis, achilles tendinitis, and shin splints. I kept buying more and more supportive shoes, shoes with arch support, suppination support, etc. based on recommendations and finally said "enough". The first week or two in minimalist shoes was not comfortable. My feet had forgotten how to walk naturally. I am now very happy in my Soft Star Runamoc Dashs. (I do not work for Soft Star, just love their shoes!)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Good football shoes for Olympic weightlifting?

spot on
  • vinnyvej
    vinnyvej Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that the OP is from Tennessee and different parts of the US (and world) have different words for the same things (like chips vs crisps). My friend from Kansas calls all athetlic shoes "tennis shoes"

OP, go to a running store and get fit. Best way to get shoes for you. my favorite shoes might not work for you so I'm not even gonna suggest brands or online websites for you to look at shoes. Running store is the best bet for your first pair of shoes.
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Gonna second (or whatever) the call to go to a knowledgeable running store - they'll fit you right. If you were in Nashville, I'd recommend Fleet Feet, but I don't know if they have a store in Maryville. If you have a running group nearby, join up with them and ask if they have any recommendations for where you can get fitted with a pair of shoes. Personally, I like the Nike Free type, but then, I've found my feet hurt less, the less cushion and support I have.
  • drklib
    drklib Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Asics. They fit my foot the best. I have tiny feet- I wear a 6.5 and my feet are almost in the narrow range.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    love my Asic Tri Noosa.. but somewhere online I saw a chart where you could put in if you have a high instep or a wide toe ... or whatever and what type of fit you liked.. then the chart led you to the right shoe.. maybe Runner's World (though I am mostly a walker and hiker.. but sometimes I get the notion to run a bit)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I waited until I finished my C25k program and had progressed to around 4 miles daily. That's when my feet decided I needed new shoes.

I have funky feet, so I went to an actual running shop where she measured me, watched me both walk and run and looked at what I disliked/liked in a shoe. I tried on a TON, and she made me run in each one to see what I thought.

I ended up with a pair of Hoka One's, and I love them, but my 2nd best fit was a Saucony.

Most good shops will also offer a trial period and if they don't work for you, will exchange for something equal...

They make a huge difference, good luck :)