Coffee

Options
I'm a coffee drinker. Not a big one, but I do like at least one cup a day, with 2 half & half and a teaspoon of sugar. I'm wondering if this will slow my weight-loss progress? I've been reading that coffee is bad for you - but I didnt see this information in any "real" medical blogs. I'm wondering if anyone on MFP has removed coffee from their diet and seen good success? And if you have removed it, did you replace with anything? Tea, perhaps?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    if coffee is bad for you then i guess i will never be healthy!:drinker:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think coffee is pretty neutral if you have room for it in your calories (meaning the stuff you add to it), and you hydrate with water sufficiently. Caffeine is no miracle worker, but I've been on and off coffee since joining and I haven't seen a difference based on coffee consumption.

HTH
  • tacheny
    Options
    Sugar, YIKES! Sugar much better than nutrisweet, sacarine etc... I find that a dose of sugar really throws me off in about an hour I am ravinously hungry. Try the sweet herb, Stevia, instead. I have found it to be nice when i want sweet.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you put in it, and if you are keeping track of calories, you better make sure you count them too. I drink 3 cups a day, but I use sugar free creamer or almond milk along with sugar free coffee syrup.
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like coffee, I dont think it's too bad.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Sugar, YIKES! Sugar much better than nutrisweet, sacarine etc... I find that a dose of sugar really throws me off in about an hour I am ravinously hungry. Try the sweet herb, Stevia, instead. I have found it to be nice when i want sweet.

I don't use Stevia, but I do use Truvia. I hear they are similar, and I lllooovvveee Truvia!
  • sowflondon
    Options
    I find green tea is very refreshing and only 1 calorie per cup alternatively try fruit teas again 1 calorie :smile:
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Actually DR. Oz has said that 2 cups of coffee and day is really good for your colon if you know what I mean. And it sure helps me every morning. I know TMI.:embarassed:
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I made room in my calorie count every day for 3 cups of coffee with 1/3cup of whole milk in each. I lost all the weight I wanted and now it's in my maintenance calorie count everyday. You will have to pull my coffee cup out of my cold dead hands...wait I think that quotes taken.
  • sumotang
    sumotang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am sure that I have read somewhere that the caffein in coffee can slow the process down of your liver converting fat into energy. That said you need to consider two things; 1. the amount of calories in the coffee and 2. the amount of caffeine that you consume. Hope this helps
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine. People use caffeine pre workout to increase their metabolism. Lots of caffeine in diet pills etc. As long as you're not spaced out on it, or adding too many calories, or dehydrating I think it's more than fine to drink your 1 cup per day.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It boosts your metabolism and heart rate. Personally, it gives me energy to work out and makes me want to go go go, and I end up burning more calories through my day! However, I don't drink it often as I have Barrett's Esophagus and that is a bad combo...

And coffee has antioxidants and is not bad for you in moderation. Just don't drink 12 cups a day.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I drink about 16oz of coffee every day. Literally...every day. It's a problem really. lol I put my coffee into my diary every single day so it's always factored into my calories (it's about 15 calories total). I only put a tsp of creamer and 2-3 packets of Splenda (sometimes I throw in some cinnamon).
    I'm not sure I could go without it anymore...gave myself a headache last time I tried.
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    I've wondered about this so many times as I drink my coffee each morning...I always wonder if it's hindering my weight loss!
    I've tried every creamer and sugar sub under the sun and I just can't seem to do without that 2 tsp of coffee mate. I know the stuff is terrible but it seems to be my one vice I can't let go of!