Super Discouraged & Depressed

Options
I'll try to make this as short as possible. Basically, I weighed 198 when I gave birth on August 26th. My third pregnancy, but the sweet baby girl belongs to my friend. I carried her baby for her, since she couldn't. Anyways, I began dieting on September 21st. I was 180. I immediately dropped down to 172 within a few days. This past Thursday, I went with a friend to an Adipex clinic, and got a prescription. The physician made me watch a half hour video & then coached me on how to go about dieting. She basically said I can eat whatever I want to, just don't go over 1200. So I started them, download the loseit! app, logged every single calorie and ate less than 1200 daily. I actually set my budget to 1000, and never exceeded it. I weighed myself on Saturday, 168.2. I have continued the same scenario and today weighed myself and I have gained weight. The scale said 170. How is this even freaking possible. I have not snacked, not cheated, didn't even come close to my calorie budget, and I managed to put more weight on? I am a wreck as it is, I know that I am unhealthily obsessive with my weight and trying to get thinner. I have cried all day long, I have no support really, my husband just says, "oh i love you how you are", (what happens when he doesn't? and it's not like he would just say, oh yeah I don't find you attractive anymore..) and he rolls his eyes anytime i try to mention my diet and or calorie counting, etc. I have a couple friends who are trying to lose, but they aren't serious as I am, they say they will join me in my journey, but continually put it off. So I researched and apparently if I don't eat enough I can gain? or not lose? I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I finally got the drive and willpower to do it and do it right, and it seems i've overdone it somehow. I can't win. help. :(

Replies

• cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First take a deep breath and breathe :D weight can flucuate from day to day, that is why it is wise to weigh only once a week. Also are you getting enough water? Give your body time it will respond? Have you been exercising maybe putting on some muscle weight? There can be many reasons for a couple pounds in just a couple days difference.
  • shelly_gray_1
    shelly_gray_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    TOO FEW CALORIES...your body is conserving all its energy it thinks its staaarving. go back and try it with 1200 calories - 3 meals a day with a snack or even two snacks as long as you don't go over 1200 calories.
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    There are always fluctuations in scale weight. Depending on hormones, sodium, workout, etc, your scale weight can vary quite a bit. As long as you are weighing your food and know you're at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Weight loss is not linear. You could always take measurements and check them weekly/monthly. Also take pictures because you will be able to see the difference better in photos. I was looking at photos that were 6 weeks apart. I have only lost 6 lbs between them but the difference is significant. Hang in there and the weight will come off. Just don't expect super fast weight loss and take it one day at a time.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    First, you need to be patient. You made a good choice coming here, and this tool and the people here can help you figure this out and if you stick with it you will get back to your healthy weight range. Yes, 1200 is too low. If you eat more it will be healthier and more sustainable.

Trust your hubby, you did a wonderful thing for your friend and there are so many things that make people attractive. Be gentle with yourself and stick with it :)
  • Chubunnie
    Options
    Unfortunately our bodies don't like to be deprived and they go to great lengths to hold on to calories. When you eat less than 1000 calories, your body wants to hold on to those calories. Are you eating frequently? That helps the metabolism. Cardio and light weight lifting or exercises like squats help to tone the body while burning calories. I like Zumba, it's only 20 mins and burns alot of calories. I'm 185 right now and 6 months ago I was 150, so I know how you feel about the weight. Stay positive, believe me your mood can effect how you eat and how you lose weight. Try not to go to hard, too fast. 1200 calories a day with light cardio and strength training should help you get to your goal. Be consistent and don't give up. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1st: what you did for your friend was awesome and commendable.

2nd: take a huge step back. breathe. and realize that the scale is not your master.

3rd: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry. Consistency is the key. I think your intake is too small but thats your choice. Also, I wouldnt go with eat what you want over eating healthy. Your body is retaining water thats all. You gave your body 9 months to get where your at. Give it time to get where its going!
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If I could reach thru cyberspace and give you a hug, I would!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
    With all the work you've done, please try your best not to focus on the scale!! For women, the scale is the devil :devil:
    I agree pretty much with what everyone else has posted!!
    If you're active...then you've gotta eat!!! Even tho that sounds crazy, it's sooooo true....shoot, any nutritionist, personal trainer, or other fitness professional will tell you to feed your body....healthy, good stuff however LOL, but you've gotta feed yourself!!
    Good luck to you!! :wink:
  • Psychdoll74
    Options
    It still cracks me up when people use the "you're in starvation mode" crap. LOL. Study physics people.

Anyways, water retention is probably all it is, especially when you said "eat what ever you want". If you eat the wrong things, sometimes you don't use the bathroom regularly and sometimes there's too much salt in certain things which will then cause you to retain water.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories isn't just not so good for you but the lack calories can actually make you gain weight. I know you want the weight off and you want it off as fast as you can get it but breathe! I would try eating between 1200 and 1300 calories a day and slow down a bit. Weight loss overtime sticks! Just believe in yourself. You will have bad days, you will have random gains, but just keep going.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1st: what you did for your friend was awesome and commendable.

2nd: take a huge step back. breathe. and realize that the scale is not your master.

3rd: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

All. Of. This.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have no support really, my husband just says, "oh i love you how you are", (what happens when he doesn't? and it's not like he would just say, oh yeah I don't find you attractive anymore..) and he rolls his eyes anytime i try to mention my diet and or calorie counting, etc. I have a couple friends who are trying to lose, but they aren't serious as I am, they say they will join me in

You have no support? One interpretation is DH is probably telling the truth, and rolls his eyes because he is frustrated you don't believe him. My DW is the same way - she loves me, she just is not interested in hearing about calories and exercise and such. If the friends are not serious, wish them well, ooh and ahh over them occasionally, and continue on YOUR path.

See if you can convince your primary care physician to write a referral to a registered dietitian. MDs traditionally have a sketchy background in nutrition. I have read more than a few post where MDs set a daily limit of 1200 calories. It seems to be a one-size-fits-all magic number. It does not take into account you, your cultural eating habits, or your activity level.

Keep logging your food and exercise. It can be valuable information for any professional assessment and it can keep you honest.

-- edit --
    Info about Adipex:
    Phentermine is used along with a doctor-approved, reduced-calorie diet, exercise, and behavior change program to help you lose weight. It is used in people who are significantly overweight (obese) and have not been able to lose enough weight with diet and exercise alone. http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4899/adipex-p-oral/details

IMO, a half-hour video is NOT a behavior change program. if that truly is all the info and no followup, the MD is remiss in his actions.

-- --
  • athelsel
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Immediately a little better.
    I ate healthy mostly anyways, tons of grilled chicken, my fave! and only drank water.
    Its just hard!
    I just have a horrible self image and I want rid of this weight now.
    I feel so disgusting..
    So is the starvation mode thing really false? Because if so I feel like I shouldn't have gained weight back, and also that would kind of be a relief because on this adipex, you really don't have an interest in eating. Like yesterday, I ate a piece of toast, and nothing the rest of the day until around 8 when i forced myself to eat a chicken sandwich from burger king because I read that I needed 1200 or I'd gain. UHH. its so hard!
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    just to throw something out there. this is just opinion and feel no need to listen but this is what I am doing. I am setting a positive fitness goal for myself which does not involve my weight. For me, my goal is to do a triathalon in early 2015. While i do check my weight once a week it is not my goal. It gets me out of my head if i am tracking weight constantly because it does fluctuate, but when i can run a couple of miles in my goal time i am pumped - and that doesn't fluctuate based on how much water i drink. We have three kids so it's tough but my wife and i take turns watching them to give each other time to go workout. I still count calories etc. but everything isn't based on that.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'll try to make this as short as possible. Basically, I weighed 198 when I gave birth on August 26th. My third pregnancy, but the sweet baby girl belongs to my friend. I carried her baby for her, since she couldn't. Anyways, I began dieting on September 21st. I was 180. I immediately dropped down to 172 within a few days. This past Thursday, I went with a friend to an Adipex clinic, and got a prescription. The physician made me watch a half hour video & then coached me on how to go about dieting. She basically said I can eat whatever I want to, just don't go over 1200. So I started them, download the loseit! app, logged every single calorie and ate less than 1200 daily. I actually set my budget to 1000, and never exceeded it. I weighed myself on Saturday, 168.2. I have continued the same scenario and today weighed myself and I have gained weight. The scale said 170. How is this even freaking possible. I have not snacked, not cheated, didn't even come close to my calorie budget, and I managed to put more weight on? I am a wreck as it is, I know that I am unhealthily obsessive with my weight and trying to get thinner. I have cried all day long, I have no support really, my husband just says, "oh i love you how you are", (what happens when he doesn't? and it's not like he would just say, oh yeah I don't find you attractive anymore..) and he rolls his eyes anytime i try to mention my diet and or calorie counting, etc. I have a couple friends who are trying to lose, but they aren't serious as I am, they say they will join me in my journey, but continually put it off. So I researched and apparently if I don't eat enough I can gain? or not lose? I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I finally got the drive and willpower to do it and do it right, and it seems i've overdone it somehow. I can't win. help. :(

168.2 to 170 isn't necessarily a gain, hon. I have poops that have weighed more than that. You need to look at an extended period of time to determine success or failure. You've only been at this for a week or so - it takes time to get into the swing of things.

You also gave birth just over a month ago - your body and your hormones are going to need time to settle, too. It took me around 8 weeks to get rid of all the excess water in my body with my first birth.

I'd start by figuring our your BMR (someone posted good links above) and then figure out what your calorie intake should be. Take control of this - and be an active participant in your loss. If you want to take pills, that's up to you - but as someone who was given them by a doctor, I'd stay away. You don't them to succeed.

You can do this - and you have the support of people here, too. You just need some patience and to be kinder to yourself.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    wait it's been a month since you had the baby? good lord. Your body is still holding to all the fat and stuff to breastfeed, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT. Take it slow and throw some exercise in there instead of just cutting food out. I can't believe you got a prescription at that weight...I also can't believe the "doctor" told you what you eat won't matter. There's no easy fix, you spent nine months making a baby, ditch the pills, ditch the calorie counter, eat healthy choices, reasonable amounts, only when you're hungry, start walking or whatever you can handle and build up as you heal.
  • jascoya
    Options
    You should just calm down because you are being obsessed with losing weight and i don't want you causing danger to yourself. If you keep watching the scale of course its going to seem like you're not losing weight. Its like watching the clock and it seems like time is not going any faster which it isn't. you should diet with out thinking about losing weight and just do what you think is best light work outs throughout the day or after each meal. but don't stress over you losing weight that's not healthy at all I hope i helped. :smile: :smile:
  • 99fkahlo
    Options
    I've been on myfitness pal for over a month and have not lost one pound. It's starting to piss me off.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'll try to make this as short as possible. Basically, I weighed 198 when I gave birth on August 26th. My third pregnancy, but the sweet baby girl belongs to my friend. I carried her baby for her, since she couldn't. Anyways, I began dieting on September 21st. I was 180. I immediately dropped down to 172 within a few days. This past Thursday, I went with a friend to an Adipex clinic, and got a prescription. The physician made me watch a half hour video & then coached me on how to go about dieting. She basically said I can eat whatever I want to, just don't go over 1200. So I started them, download the loseit! app, logged every single calorie and ate less than 1200 daily. I actually set my budget to 1000, and never exceeded it. I weighed myself on Saturday, 168.2. I have continued the same scenario and today weighed myself and I have gained weight. The scale said 170. How is this even freaking possible. I have not snacked, not cheated, didn't even come close to my calorie budget, and I managed to put more weight on? I am a wreck as it is, I know that I am unhealthily obsessive with my weight and trying to get thinner. I have cried all day long, I have no support really, my husband just says, "oh i love you how you are", (what happens when he doesn't? and it's not like he would just say, oh yeah I don't find you attractive anymore..) and he rolls his eyes anytime i try to mention my diet and or calorie counting, etc. I have a couple friends who are trying to lose, but they aren't serious as I am, they say they will join me in my journey, but continually put it off. So I researched and apparently if I don't eat enough I can gain? or not lose? I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I finally got the drive and willpower to do it and do it right, and it seems I've overdone it somehow. I can't win. help. :(

In 9 days you lost more than 11 pounds. It took me 3 months to do that. It is common in the beginning to lose rapidly (especially post-partum) but from here on in you shouldn't expect to lose more than 2 lbs/week at the most. Probably less given your starting point. Give it time.