grrrr training and completing try and weight gain

Options
So i just completed my olympic triathlon this past weekend. Woop!!!. however, the training and hardcore biking running and swimming made me put on 10 lb. I don't feel like i significantly ate a ton more. I have been eating very clean and healthy staying within 2000 calorie range.... anyway the 10lb weight gain is slightly disappointing, although i am in my best condition ever, and endurance has increased significantly, I am feeling slightly discouraged, just a tad bit surprised as well.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements gone up?
  • luvtoexplore
    luvtoexplore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yea not as lean, feel sporty and more fit (endurance wise). Miss my supper lean physique. But common sense you train hard you burn more calories you eat more to compensate for calorie loss...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. You are probably retaining a lot of fluid, glycogen, etc right now if your triathlon was just this last weekend.

2. It's possibly you ate more than you thought. Were you weighing and counting everything including supplements and such?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Confused - triathlon, 2000 cals and gains?!
    - BF + LBM is explainable but 10 lbs at 2000 cals seems a bit od?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think you were eating more than 2000 calories on average. My wife is 5'2" and neither of us are exactly young guns anymore and she maintains on around 2200 - 2300 calories with just running a few miles a few days per week and lifting some weights. If she was eating 2K calories and training for an olympic tri, she'd lose a ton of weight.

I also second the notion that you're probably holding onto a lot of glycogen and fluids.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has helped me a ton to not gain weight when training for an endurance race (I'm a half marathoner). I gained 7-10 lbs. training for a half marathon I did in May - didn't make any sense. I bought a Fitbit and using it and MFP together worked wonders for tracking my calories in and calories out. Unfortunately, only using MFP wasn't doing the trick to stop, and reverse, the weight gain I was experiencing. Since watching my cal in/cal out every day I've lost 6 lbs. My guess is you're eating more than you're burning, although that may be hard to believe (it was for me, but it was true). Best of luck!
  • luvtoexplore
    luvtoexplore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yes thats why I am questioning this.... maybe it is water weigh gain and i should weigh myself in a week. I am also type 1 diabetic and I know my liver excretes glucose to blood stream due to high stress (ie intense workout),, forcing me to increase my humalog (fast acting insulin ie growth hormone) but by slight amount. I just did not think this was so significant in increasing my weight by 10lb....