What is going on here? Frustrated...

Options
I have been tracking my calories and exercising almost every day but I'm not getting anywhere. I've been on here for over two weeks and barely lost two pounds. My friends on here are losing weight like crazy. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Replies

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For us to help you we need to see your diary.
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I been here for about 2 weeks also and so far only lost 2 lbs. I'm just being patient and hopefully the lbs will start dropping off. Good luck to u :happy:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Couple questions:
    1. Age, height, weight, current cal intake, exercise?
    (If you are height/weight proportionate already, your weight loss will be slower)
    2. How are you measuring your food?
    Are you weighing your food?
    3. Do you have so-called cheat "days" if so, how often (this kind of thing could eliminate your deficit for the week)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I been here for about 2 weeks also and so far only lost 2 lbs. I'm just being patient and hopefully the lbs will start dropping off. Good luck to u :happy:
    The pounds ARE "dropping" off. 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy, sustainable amount that you should aim for. Not sure what you were expecting.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Losing 1 lb a week is a healthy weight loss rate. If you are trying to lose 100 lbs, you should look at this as a 1-2 year journey where you will learn how to fuel your body properly for the rest of your life. Most of the time, slow & steady really does win the weight loss race!

If you want more specific advice, you need to open your diary and the more knowledgeable folks here can give you some suggestions. Also read the sexypants thread stickied in the Getting Started forum...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One pound per week is pretty solid weight lost. Big losses are generally attributable to losing fluids and basically water weight and a little less waste in the system. Also, none of this is linear...I had weeks when I lost a pound...weeks when I lost 3 pounds...weeks with no losses, etc...but over the course of about 9 months I dropped at around 1.3 Lbs per week as a general trend. 1-2 Lbs per week is safe and healthy weight loss.
  • mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been here a lot longer than 2 weeks & all I've lost is 2 lbs. now that's frustrating. I have a hard time comparing myself with others and you can't because we are all different. I've decided that I'm just going to have to weigh & measure everything when possible. I think that, along with not enough exercise, is my problem. I'm 48 & need to lose 50 lbs.
  • nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Two pounds in two weeks is still a pound a week. A lot of people struggle to lose that! Any progress is still progress - stick to what you're doing instead of trying to rush it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would be very happy with 2 pounds, great job!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my calories and exercising almost every day but I'm not getting anywhere. I've been on here for over two weeks and barely lost two pounds. My friends on here are losing weight like crazy. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Two pounds in two weeks is great. If you can keep that up, you'll make your goal in less than a year. I'm almost certain that it took you a lot longer to gain that weight.

I'm a bit puzzled, though, by your remark that you have "been on here for over two weeks." Your profile says that you joined nearly 4 years ago, in December 2010. Lots of people join but then take a while to make a commitment to doing what it takes to lose weight and get healthier, but it would help commenters if you could explain the nearly 4-year gap between joining and deciding to do something.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    but it would help commenters if you could explain the nearly 4-year gap between joining and deciding to do something.

In what possible way would that help?
  • wynterly
    Options
    I am intaking 1400 calories a day. I try to stay up with my water intake but it's tough. I joined a while back but just recently got back into it. I have not been trying for four years but just the 18 days. If 1 pound a week is okay then maybe it's not as bad as I thought. I really struggle with carbs and sugar though, my body seems to be addicted and sometimes I stumble. Thanks all for the encouragement!! I was just wondering if I should be losing more or do I need to go to a doctor to get medical advice if it wasn't a normal rate, that's all.

Also, I'm 27 and 248 pounds, I used to be 250. I'm five foot eight.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    When i first started, i lost 11 lbs in a month, which i attributed mostly to water. I lost about 5 lbs a month after that, and now i have my goal set to lose 1 lb per week. The less weight you have to lose, the less weight you will lose on a weekly basis. I still have about 34 lbs to my goal weight, which puts me at about halfway there, and I'm losing slower now than i was before. A lb a week is good, keep at it!

Edited because Swype is difficult. :p
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all well done for losing those 2 lbs! Your weight is going in the right direction and what I've come to realise is that unfortunately it won't melt off as quickly as you want it to!
    -Just make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water- at least 3 L or 1 gallon a day. It seems like a lot but it helps wash out toxins, keeps you hydrated and helps you feeling full longer. Reach for the water when you think you're hungry, most of the time it's the body asking to be hydrated but we snack instead!
    -Look at your food diary, are you eating too many high fat, high sodium or high calorie/sugar foods?
    -Maybe your exercise isn't enough or not the right intensity. Try HIIT workouts but make sure when you start it's at your own pace so you learn how to do it safely first or even throw in some weight workouts.
    -Decrease your white carb intake and go for brown rice etc OR what i've done is increase my protein intake and decrease carbs.

Hope that helps a bit! It took me a year to lose 20 kgs and now months of hard work for that last 10kgs which isn't coming off but I know slowly it will if I keep at it and don't cheat. Good luck :)

(I thought I'd add this in pounds rather than kgs : I used to be 208 lbs (94.6kgs), CW= 166 lbs (75.5kgs)
    I have 22 pounds to go (10ks). I lost it in 1 year by going on a high protein diet, cutting out sugar and fats. You can still have sweet treats but they don't have to be processed and full of refined sugar.It's hard but it's possible)
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi

The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 100 times. Not 100 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

4.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 39 in 141 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

You only get one chance to live your life.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's what just one pound of fat looks like!

1-pound-fat-can.jpg

Congrats!

P.s. Your post sounds like you're confused why it "isn't working" or you're doing something wrong. Not the case!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am intaking 1400 calories a day. I try to stay up with my water intake but it's tough. I joined a while back but just recently got back into it. I have not been trying for four years but just the 18 days. If 1 pound a week is okay then maybe it's not as bad as I thought. I really struggle with carbs and sugar though, my body seems to be addicted and sometimes I stumble. Thanks all for the encouragement!! I was just wondering if I should be losing more or do I need to go to a doctor to get medical advice if it wasn't a normal rate, that's all.

Also, I'm 27 and 248 pounds, I used to be 250. I'm five foot eight.

You're doing great! 1 or 2 pounds a week is a good rate. Try to stick to your macros (carbs, fat, protein), and make the exercise an habit, and you will see results. Be patient, and keep your spirit up!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options

1-pound-fat-can.jpg

Congrats!

P.s. Your post sounds like you're confused why it "isn't working" or you're doing something wrong. Not the case!

Wow. This is an eye opener!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

1-pound-fat-can.jpg

Congrats!

Congrats on losing 2 lbs! You're not doing anything wrong, OP. Just stay consistent and be patient. =)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options

1-pound-fat-can.jpg

Congrats!

Wow. This is an eye opener!
    I'll say.