Pain After Ab Exercise

lduplessis
lduplessis Posts: 22
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So normally I have this sweet ab routine that hits my whole core...i feel sore for about two days after and then I'm ready to go again. However, this last time I added some Brazilian leg lifts and not only was a sore for about a week but I now have this horrible pain all over my abs when I try to move, lay down, stretch, etc. It doesn't feel like typical after work-out soreness...could I maybe have hurt something?? How long should I wait before I do something....any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    I know this is a bit offtopic BUT what is this ab routine!? Please share!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but I think you've waited long enough!! It doesn't sound like it's getting any better. The worst thing that could happen is that the dr tells you nothing is wrong and then you'll have peace of mind. If it is something, then you'll be able to get it taken care of. I hope nothing is wrong!!! Get it checked out and let us know.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    I would go now, you may have a hernia....
  • You may have pulled a muscle.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    I agree with catniss. I week is pretty long when you aren't seeing/feeling any improvement.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    It's a couple of things that may be happening. Either you're doing a Beach Body program that completely hits muscles that you don't normally work, in my case the very first time doing P90X made me feel like you do where no matter what I did, I had that kind of pain; or you may have overexerted yourself during the Brazilian leg lift routine, if it was your first time.

I'm not a doctor, but if it's purely a muscular pain, not internal like an organ or anything vital, I'd say there might have been some tearing. It's not medically urgent at the moment, but if you see bruises, you might wanna see a physician. Again, I'm not qualified to diagnose anything, online of all places, without physical assessment [I was pursuing a medical career in nursing at one point], but even still, I'd still tell you to see a doctor if the pain isn't subsiding after a couple of days.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    I know this is a bit offtopic BUT what is this ab routine!? Please share!

Simple answer, sit ups.
  • js97206
    js97206 Posts: 15
    What kind of pain? A sharp stabbing pain? Or a it hurts to move all over pain? You say all over your abs, are saying from your sternum to your belly button? I would guess that you just have really over worked the muscles and may have some slight muscle strains. If it is sharp and stabbing in a localized area, you would more then likely pulled(tore) the muscle. Since it is a new workout, you are working areas of the muscle that you don't normally. So you may have some delayed onset muscle soreness. Which takes 3 or 4 days to get over, unless you really over did it and then you could be looking at a week or two. There are different schools of thought on this, but I like to do some light streching of the sore areas to get the blood flowing to the sore areas to help recovery. And I do mean light, don't over do it. Maybe just stand tall and raise your arms over your head and slowly stretch. Hold this for 10 seconds or so and do it 3 times. I know people that will go ahead and work through the pain, but I don't know your fitness level so I wouldn't recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.