Has anyone lost weight using mfp and gained it back

Options

Replies

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    I have lost about 35ish lbs over 12 months & have not gained any of it back. *knock on wood* ^.^

I have been cataloging my food & regularly exercise for so long now (2+ years) that it's just something that I do without even thinking about it. It has truly been intertwined into my daily routine as natural as putting on my seat belt in the car or brushing my teeth.

After about 18 months of eating 90% healthy 10% indulgence (portioned of course) I just find that not only do I not crave the foods I use to immensely enjoyed in over-abundance but when I do occasionally eat them now my stomach seems to revolt at my choice. It's as if my body has totally forgotten how to process fat, grease, and processed goodness. And honestly nowadays I find myself preferring to have my large portion veggies and moderate portion of lean protein w/quinoa over the Big Mac or Queso Burrito with chips.

I think the key to staying on track is not really to focus on what one NEEDS to do to stay on track but as to the WHY. My mind-set was never about slimming down to get into that specific size jeans or getting ready for swimsuit season. My mind set from the get-go was that 'O-M-G I don't want to loose an appendage or limb or go blind due to diabetes!'

For me, fear was just the exact fuel I needed to light the fire.

Best of luck to you!
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Most of the time people who stop logging and exercise are the ones that think its a temporary fix. This is a lifestyle change and still has to be done day in and day out. If you hate starting over don't give up is what I always say. Keep kicking *kitten*!

Exactly. Many (including myself when I was younger) didn't realize this truly is for life. People I know that have maintained continue to login daily to track.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Woah. I felt bad about gaining 8 pounds over my ideal weight. And I am still "slender," just not so "skinny" anymore. I can still fit into size 8 (Australian) jeans, but my butt is bigger so they are harder to get on and I have given up trying to keep the zipper up (for the opposite reasons I used to!!). I still count and use MFP, but only to look up foods where I can't get nutritional info from the pack.

But there are positives to my weight gain: I am actually exercising and choosing healthy foods now.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain anything back. Actually, I'm now a couple of pounds lower than my original goal and a large bit lower in body fat %.

I log most of the time and still work out a lot. I established some friends on mfp who are pretty stable. If you change your lifestyle while losing and learning to maintain, it is not a problem.
  • aimeelynnn
    aimeelynnn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 30 pounds in 2012 on MFP over six months and I just stopped everything exercise diary entries everything and I gained it all back really fast! When I reached my goal I thought ok now I can eat whatever I want as much as I want. I know that once I get to my goal weight I will need to weigh myself every day and maintain healthy patterns of eating and calorie intake that will maintain a healthy weight. The challenge for me more than losing is maintaining. I'm prepared mentally this time to be responsible for my weight.
  • Jett68
    Jett68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yep, I lost 50 pounds and then went holly f$@k!!! You see I didn't like the way I looked, I had a lot of flabby skin (It was like tucking in my flab instead of my shirt) I felt I looked better heavy so I quit and gained it all back. I had never lost this much weight before so I didn't know that what I was seeing was normal and if I would have continued to eat healthy and exercise this probably would have gotten better with time. I'm here for the second go round, time will tell.
    Good luck everyone!! New friends always welcome. :drinker:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It is not a diet, it is a life style choice even after you reach your goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Question for those who have regained when you went off the reservation - how much did you gain back, but how LONG were you off before realizing you were no longer on the right track?

Obviously everyone's answer will be different, but I find myself asking the what-ifs as I approach maintenance time. I expect to continue with this for the rest of my days, but wonder just how quickly the weight comes back on for those of us who have strayed.

As a comparison, before I wised up and took charge of my eating and workouts, I was gaining around five pounds a year following high school. I sure as all heck don't want to go back to THAT!

Mark

I knew that I was off track fairly early on. I put on about 20-25 pounds over the course of a year when I let myself stop logging, but I knew it was happening after the first ten. For me, even knowing that I was gaining, it was hard to get back to logging after that initial re-gain. I had such a hard time with weight loss (again, personal emotional issues) that I couldn't bring myself to do it a second time. I had to make adjustments to find a more sustainable way for me.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Yes! =( I lost 50 lbs and kept it off almost a year then I had some life situations and basically gave up my exercise regimen. In this past April I was disabled in a car accident and was on bed rest and became severely depressed and turned to drugs and alcohol and poor eating and binge eating. Now, I am in the healing process and physical therapy and making baby steps back to my old lifestyle.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds from my starting weight and was in great shape in 2012. While I was training for my first marathon I suffered an injury which eventually led me to stop running completely for 2 months. That was the start of me putting weight back on, and have been trying to combat it since. I'm now up about 12 pounds from my lowest, some I think from incorporating strength training, but definitely not all. I haven't lost the good habits and am still active, but it's easy for me to become lax in terms of eating when I'm not tracking.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Most of the time people who stop logging and exercise are the ones that think its a temporary fix. This is a lifestyle change and still has to be done day in and day out. If you hate starting over don't give up is what I always say. Keep kicking *kitten*!

Not always.

I joined MFP in January of 2012, and by mid-2013 I was down 50lbs, about 2/3 the way to my goal weight (which may be slow by MFP standards). Then I got lazy with logging, and then stopped altogether a few months after. For a while I thought that I had intuitively changed my eating habits (and this may be partly true) because the months went by and my weight maintained +/- 5lbs (which I attributed to normal ~hormonal and dietary fluctuations), and I also kept up with being a lot more active than I was before my weight loss attempt.

BUT...

Then the scale number started creeping up, pretty slowly at first but before I knew it I was up 15lbs. from my lowest logged weight on MFP. I would estimate this happened over the course of 8 solid months of not tracking my intake or logging, with a couple months where I tried to give it a shot again. Not surprising, but not bad. I don't look at it, or myself, as a failure at all.

And here I am back again, logging diligently every day. I'm 5 lbs. down, and 25 more to go. It really bites re-losing the same weight several times over, but at least I have the experience to know what I need to do to getturdunn.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That's me. I lost 50 with hard work and logging. Then I had a surgery and I couldn't find the energy to workout as much and went back to my old eating habits. I've gained 40 back. I've started again a couple of weeks ago so I'm hopefully heading in the right direction again. Good luck all!

ugh....this is what worries me. I'm scheduled for surgery to donate a kidney in January which is going to leave me basically sedentary for 6 - 8 weeks when I'm not working and am not allowed to exercise with the exception of some walking....I'm also not supposed to cook for myself for at least 2 - 3 weeks off the top, so even if I'm careful with portion sizes i'll still have no idea how many calories I'm actually eating. blah.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    That's me. I lost 50 with hard work and logging. Then I had a surgery and I couldn't find the energy to workout as much and went back to my old eating habits. I've gained 40 back. I've started again a couple of weeks ago so I'm hopefully heading in the right direction again. Good luck all!

ugh....this is what worries me. I'm scheduled for surgery to donate a kidney in January which is going to leave me basically sedentary for 6 - 8 weeks when I'm not working and am not allowed to exercise with the exception of some walking....I'm also not supposed to cook for myself for at least 2 - 3 weeks off the top, so even if I'm careful with portion sizes i'll still have no idea how many calories I'm actually eating. blah.

If I were to think of the type of mentality it would take to lose 170 lbs and to also the type of person who is willing to undergo a surgical procedure in order to donate an organ - that person doesn't seem like the type to cut corners or give up easily, so I would say don't be worried. OR do be a little worried just to keep your recovery time eating in check. I'm no expert, but I'd expect to gain a little weight back while your body rests and heals. You'll do great, good luck with your surgery!
  • caimay149
    caimay149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me, the problem was that I planned to do this for the rest of my life. I thought that's what we SHOULD do. People are always saying 'lifestyle change!' etc, and I do understand the idea behind it - that you can never go back to your old ways. However, I needed a realistic 'maintenance plan'. To lose weight, I count my calories, about 1600 a day, give or take and dependent on whether I've worked out or not.

But, if I try to count my calories day in day out for the next 50 odd years, I'll fail. So now I have a maintenance plan, which involves portion sizes, whole foods, and regular workouts - and the odd unhealthy meal here and there.

So I do get why people say you have to do it for the rest of your life, but for me there had to be a time when I said 'okay, I'm done losing, let's focus on something more sustainable'.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got to my target weight earlier in the year and even though I was warned that maintenance could be tricky I still messed up. I suspect that my goals were too low, but even so the minute I stopped logging and paying attention I went right off the rails. I lost my discipline and began binge eating and snacking on high carb stuff (cakes, ice cream, sweets, cookies, etc).

Now I am back to my target weight range again and trying to avoid the same mistakes. This time as I approached maintenance I increased my intake so as to have a "softer landing". I continue to log but just allow myself the extra calories (but use them less for sugary treats). I think the biggest help this time around has been getting myself a Fitbit and a Garmin bike GPS. This encourages me to do more exercise generally, but also I find myself frequently taking walks after breakfast and lunch. This has the dual advantage of burning more cals whilst taking my mind off eating that little bit more. So far so good.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 kilograms over 3 years, then over 2 years gained half of it back. I'm kind of bummed about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that I'll reach goal weight again, but what's to stop me from gaining again? I've yoyoed so many times. I've got some ideas to help me stay at goal but they're not fail proof. I'm thoroughly sick of the whole yo yo thing and it depresses me.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 kilograms over 3 years, then over 2 years gained half of it back. I'm kind of bummed about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that I'll reach goal weight again, but what's to stop me from gaining again? I've yoyoed so many times. I've got some ideas to help me stay at goal but they're not fail proof. I'm thoroughly sick of the whole yo yo thing and it depresses me.

I'm sick of it too. When you look at the internet creaking under the weight of advice about how to lose weight- the easier bit, then compare how little useful info there is about maintenance, no wonder the diet/exercise industry is worth£ billions- we are their guaranteed repeat customers! We are nearly all taken in by it- look how we make a fuss when people reach goal -which is great of course- but many of us have that T shirt ("lifestyle change"or not) and its getting old and frayed. But when people mention they have kept weight off for even 3 years there is little fanfare- should be the other way around perhaps?:huh:
  • blueberriesnyoga
    Options
    I gained about 1/2 of it back because I didn't track. MFP needs to be a constant for me because of my tendency to overeat.
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yep me! I lost 33lbs last year and gained it back after having bad post natal depression which was untreated for a year. I medicated with food til I went to my dr. Im shock I gained it all back but my life is 100% better now and I just need to find other ways of coping with tough times other then food! Im not ever gaining weight back (unless I have another baby lol)
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 30 lbs last year using MFP, I felt very complacent....this is so easy NO ONE has any excuse to be overweight if they use this, I even tracked all over Christmas. Then in January, things got a bit crazy, I got bronchitis, helped daughter move back home, hubby diagnosed with cancer, which led to surgery and chemo. I stopped tracking...too stressed and no time racing to and from hospital and work.
    But hey this was so easy I know what to do and the weight wont go back on. But it did, pound after pound and 8 months later all but one pound was back on. I did weigh my 28g of nuts every day but that was about it, no tracking which stopped me holding myself accountable for what I put in my mouth.
    Im sure it can be done if you are very organized and strong willed, but for the others of us, me certainly, I have to log to stay on track.