Some banner ads are not your fitness "pals"

Options
I am having a tough time avoiding my #1 trigger food - sugar. It doesn't help to be greeted by a photo of a delicious cupcake on the banner ad when I logged in today. Shouldn't the banner ads have photos of running or carrot sticks or something? Not to sound FAT, but I could actually SMELL the frosting! Has anyone else run across tempting banner ads on this site? I took a screen shot for posterity; here's a link to the banner in question: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eKD88XRTSdaMf1JjuXtoy-DqhO2bZKfPEsFehrt_mhY?feat=embedwebsite

Replies

• Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was surprised to see advertising for slimband....thats a costly way to go and i'm not sure if it needs to be advertised here. With all the great people on this site, we can motivate ourselves to be who we want to be, safely.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been staring at that cupcake with the blue frosting ALL day LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The administrator does not choose the ads, and what makes the site free, is the ads. Unless we want to pay for this service we have to deal with these ads.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yep- it's annoying but they don't hand pick the ads- it's a free site and the ads are generated by special formulas picking up words in the site- we are talking about food and weight loss. The ads don't know why and the guys making the site don't pick the ads.

Hang in there. Cupcakes are all over the world, consider it training for everyday life.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i went and GOT the cupcake with the blue icing for lunch...
    It is not as good as it looked in the picture, but I realized this 426 calories later :-( ...oh the sugar coma...
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is no different I guess than watching The Biggest Loser, and noticing the commercials are for fast food, lol. You can't have a Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers without fat people. How do you make people fatter? By throwing food ads at them!
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Where I live, by almost every weight loss center or gym there is a Cupcakery. How horribly is that. I'm glad I'm not big on sweets And why don't I have adds for anything on my mfp. Not that I am complaining.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    the ads are placed by google and not MFP, they have no control over them, google links ads by the content of the site meaning because MFP is about eating and exercise/losing weight then you will find all manner of ads relating to the subject. Although I cannot see why an ad would make any difference, they are not throwing foods at anyone, do you see a sofa ad on TV and suddenly decide you want a sofa??

Ben.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yep, evil ads! The one I saw was a bottle of WINE! :cry: I'd really like to drink that entire bottle but then I don't think I'd get to eat dinner!
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben, I would tempted more by the sofa than a cupcake, hehe:laugh: jk
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I have been staring at that cupcake with the blue frosting ALL day LOL

Ditto for me!
    I've agree with the poster that these ads are what make MyFitnessPal FREE for all of us... so I can deal with staring at the cupcake or learn to ignore it. :smile:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    "Hang in there. Cupcakes are all over the world, consider it training for everyday life."
    [/quote]

NO kidding! Consider it resistance training.... :)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben, I would tempted more by the sofa than a cupcake, hehe:laugh: jk

haha, I like that! less sugar in a sofa im sure :wink: , couldn't find one on the database though!!! :laugh:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Use Firefox, and download AdBlock Plus. No more ads.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I HATE THAT STUPID PRETTY CUPCAKE!
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben - you can sit on the floor and live with it - you can't live without food. The brain reactions are positively Pavlovian!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    "Hang in there. Cupcakes are all over the world, consider it training for everyday life."

NO kidding! Consider it resistance training.... :)
    [/quote]

I totally agree!!! And that blue cupcake was white...until it fell into a toilet with that nasty blue water.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    oy yet another post on this.

it's whatever you search for lots that appears in the ads. it caters to your interests.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    The administrator does not choose the ads, and what makes the site free, is the ads. Unless we want to pay for this service we have to deal with these ads.

agreed. people need to stop whining about this.

and has no one ever heard of ad block?
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    oy yet another post on this.

it's whatever you search for lots that appears in the ads. it caters to your interests.

I'm going to debate that one, big time! I have NEVER searched for glazed donuts, but I was greeting with a huge one on the left side of my yahoo mail today.