Best Cardio Machine for Beginners?

Options
I am new to working out and I was wondering what you thought the best exercises and machines were for beginners? I am currently 185 pounds and I am looking to get down to about 150.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You.

but start with the bicycle if you're lost.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Whichever you enjoy.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical, or arc trainer. They have resistance settings for your progression, and are kind to your knees.
  • desidieter
    Options
    The treadmill.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like best. If you like something you're more likely to stick with it. If you don't have any special health or injury restrictions, just get your heart rate up - doesn't matter which one you choose. :smile:
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Ok seriously people? Op asked for suggestions. 2 of you have already blown it off, and said "do whatever you like". Just tell her your personal prefence! She's new she may not know what she likes. Give the girl ideas!
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Walking is free.
    DVDs are cheaper than machines.
    Try Befit in 90 or HasFit on YouTube for free workouts.
    If you still want to use a machine some folks use a treadmill or elliptical.
    If you buy a treadmill or elliptical, make sure you check online reviews.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your options at your gym?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Ok seriously people? Op asked for suggestions. 2 of you have already blown it off, and said "do whatever you like". Just tell her your personal prefence! She's new she may not know what she likes. Give the girl ideas!

But there is no point in giving my personal preference if it makes the OP feel like that's the machine she must use in order to lose weight, and hates it. The answer really is: Whichever you enjoy. I suppose I should have added: AND gets your heart rate up. If she's new to a gym she'll get an opportunity to try all the cardio machines out and decide for herself which one she enjoys. They are all as good as each other.
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For hitting the cardio machines, my personal preference is the treadmill, though I do have to stay aware that it's not hurting my knees or anything. Definitely also try the elliptical though if you can. It's lower impact, and I'd absolutely use it more if I didn't fail so hard at it. :P The bike's also pretty easy to start with if you don't mind the seats too much.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

But there is no point in giving my personal preference if it makes the OP feel like that's the machine she must use in order to lose weight, and hates it. The answer really is: Whichever you enjoy. I suppose I should have added: AND gets your heart rate up. If she's new to a gym she'll get an opportunity to try all the cardio machines out and decide for herself which one she enjoys. They are all as good as each other.

This. A lot of people say the elliptical is best for newbies, for example. But personally, I HATE the elliptical. I can run almost ten miles but I can't even do three on that stupid machine.

So if someone had told me to do the elliptical as a newbie, I would have ended up rather discouraged.

So, OP: try out a few things and see what you like. Personally I find the stationary bike to be the easiest and the time goes by fastest (I can read on my phone while I'm on it since my upper body isn't jostling around). But it also won't burn as many calories as running, so the treadmill is another good option in my opinion.
  • bailoo
    bailoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    *The* best cardio machine is Shaun T's Insanity DVD and a good paid of NIke shoes!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like an upright stationary bike best. I hook up to the wifi at the gym, and watch the latest daily episode of my fav. daytime show on youtube. Usually ride until it's over, though today I made it a full hour on the hills setting :)

I also use 'The Curve' manual treadmill, don't know if your gym has one. It takes a bit of practice to get your balance, but is easier on my knee than flat running or walking, and supposedly burns extra calories. I usually do that before the start of my bike to get my heart rate up (alternating walking and sprinting for 3 minutes total) and again at the end, and sometimes in the middle if I take a break to do some Kinesis or something.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Running shoes.

Jump rope.

You Tube cardio vids.

But I equate "best" with cheapest.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of cardio.....I get bored too easily on machines. So my opinions for what they are worth....

Gym machines/gym

Circuit Training.....this is how I normally get my cardio in at the gym

Elliptical machine... I like best, for machines if I do hiit workouts it bores me less

Arc machine.....feels very odd and makes me feel like I am doing a Russian folk dance with the kicks....bores me.

Bicycle machine.... Never try it, just figure if I was to ride a bike I would rather it be real and outside.

Treadmill....I actually have a phobia of falling off these damn things (very detailed scenario, in my head). My pace is just not consistent enough and I always feel like I am tripping over myself.

Out of the gym

Hiking, biking, and walking.....I enjoy hiking the most.

Swimming....I love and wish my gym had a pool.

In home

Dancing with my daughters is the only cardio I get in the house except when I am running stairs as I clean.

Workout videos....I've never tried, motivation to workout at home is not something I have.

When I started I weighed 179lb, I now weigh 146lb. I loss my weight so far through a calorie deficit (weight loss) and lifting heavy (fitness and retaining lean body mass)....I really dislike cardio as an exercise, for me it has to just be something I do to be active.

Whatever you choose remember.... Calories are for weight loss/gain and exercise is for fitness (and looking good naked...plus eating more!)...the most important thing is choosing something you enjoy and creating a maintainable lifestyle.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Elliptical as the main one to start out with, then work in the stepper/stairmaster and the rowing machine.

I love the rowing machine as it gives me maximum calorie burn per minute, but it's taken me about 6 months to build up my fitness where I can go on it for 20 minutes or so at a time. When I started it I could manage about 4 mins before almost dying.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    @ the OP
    Look into 5x5 stronglifts
    Shoulder press
    Bench press
    Barbell rows
    Squats
    Deadlifts

I also recommend dips, pull ups, bicep curls, and tricep extentions. I personally do sit ups one or two times a week.

My current routine is lift for 45-60 mins wrap up with cardio for 15-30mins. Next day 30-45mins of cardio with 15-30mins of pull ups, dips, and sit ups. I go 4-5 days a week, and rest for 2.

The 5th day is a water Zumba class lol
  • theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @ the OP
    Look into 5x5 stronglifts
    Shoulder press
    Bench press
    Barbell rows
    Squats
    Deadlifts

I also recommend dips, pull ups, bicep curls, and tricep extentions. I personally do sit ups one or two times a week.

My current routine is lift for 45-60 mins wrap up with cardio for 15-30mins. Next day 30-45mins of cardio with 15-30mins of pull ups, dips, and sit ups. I go 4-5 days a week, and rest for 2.

The 5th day is a water Zumba class lol

Thanks! I have been focusing on cardio at the moment mainly because I don't know the first thing about weight lifting and I don't want to make a fool of myself at the gym... I do want to start building up more muscle though so I will give it a shot later this week.
  • theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Elliptical as the main one to start out with, then work in the stepper/stairmaster and the rowing machine.

I love the rowing machine as it gives me maximum calorie burn per minute, but it's taken me about 6 months to build up my fitness where I can go on it for 20 minutes or so at a time. When I started it I could manage about 4 mins before almost dying.

Yeah I tried the rowing machine for a bit and it was so much harder than I was expecting. I went for about 5 minutes and I was dead at the end.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried the rowing machine for a bit and it was so much harder than I was expecting. I went for about 5 minutes and I was dead at the end.

Such are the joys of the rowing machine. Which in a wierd way is actually my favourite. That or the eliptical.

Most of them aren't too bad so I'd give all of them a go and see which you like best.

For instance I hate the recumbent bike because I find it really uncomfortable to move in, but someone who is taller might not have that problem, but I <3 the rowing machine because I find it really pushes me physically.