Binging/Cutting Weightlifting? so confused..... :(

Options
So.
My TDEE is 1500 (I'm a small woman), I've been trying to gain muscle mass and eat a NET of 2000 calories a day.
And every couple weeks, I will just binge like a mad man. And I'm talking 4000 calories OVER my daily allowance. (I know, it's a problem, I'm working on it)
I usually compensate by netting a 1000 the next 4 days

buuut
I also weight train on the 4 days that I'm cutting my calories. Will that affect my body's ability to build muscle? Most of it is protein, and I eat right after a workout but still.
Am I basically rendering my training worthless?
Would it be more effective to fast for two days to fix my binge, and then work on eating a normal 2000 and workout?
I hate when I sabotage myself like this. sigh.

Replies

• Calren2
    Options
    Welcome Shannon! Starting this off with, "I am not a Registered Dietitian," so take the following as if you were asking a random stranger on a busy street.

Based on some quick reading, the short answer I can give is "I dunno." Articles on livestrong indicate that any protein that ends up not being required by the body is flushed out through urine, whereas some random sites that came up in a quick search claimed that protein would be converted to body fat and stored. However the few I looked at were very "broscience" in nature, so not terribly reliable. In my head, it would seem to me that even if it was stored "because a calorie is a calorie" then it would be stored as fat, and you'd still want to meet your protein goals daily.

I think the bigger issue is the binge & cut, but to know if it's really an issue, knowing what leads to it is required. Are those days times that you're going out with friends and family, having a nice meal, maybe celebrating something? There's a lot of activities this time of year so that comes to mind. If so, it sounds like a little bit of preplanning and choosing meals that are lower in calories while making you feel more full would be a good idea. If it's for any other reason, be it emotional, a compulsion, whatever, then my advice would be to talk to a professional. Which really regardless of the reason, the money spent on for example a dietician would be money well spent as they would be able to tailor a plan to you.

TL;DR - Yes, this is likely a bad idea or at least sub-optimal, but consult a professional.
  • shannonrandhawa
    Options
    *cries*
    I worked out my abs intensely today (two days after THE BINGE) and decided it was useless to starve myself after, because I would not be helping repair and build my muscle.

I have problems with overeating, I have a background with disordered eating and I've made lots of progress, the occasional binge every two weeks IS HUGE improvement and I no longer feel out of control when it comes to my body..

I guess I'll just fast tomorrow, eat well workout the next day, and fast again the day after that- then resume regular eating patterns.

I suppose I was just venting because being setback is frustrating of course. as well as the looming idea of fasting. I get very hangry >.>
  • shannonrandhawa
    Options
    thank you for your input :]

appreciate it
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    *cries*
    I worked out my abs intensely today (two days after THE BINGE) and decided it was useless to starve myself after, because I would not be helping repair and build my muscle.

I have problems with overeating, I have a background with disordered eating and I've made lots of progress, the occasional binge every two weeks IS HUGE improvement and I no longer feel out of control when it comes to my body..

I guess I'll just fast tomorrow, eat well workout the next day, and fast again the day after that- then resume regular eating patterns.

I suppose I was just venting because being setback is frustrating of course. as well as the looming idea of fasting. I get very hangry >.>

If you have a history of disordered eating and get hangry why are you considering fasting? Yes you are upset about your binges but have made it clear that you are improving in that respect so wouldn't fasting increase the risk of another binge.

I would also question your TDEE of 1,500 are you sure that this is not your BMR or your NEAT because it sounds low even for a small woman.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    *cries*

If you have a history of disordered eating and get hangry why are you considering fasting? Yes you are upset about your binges but have made it clear that you are improving in that respect so wouldn't fasting increase the risk of another binge.

I would also question your TDEE of 1,500 are you sure that this is not your BMR or your NEAT because it sounds low even for a small woman.

Agreed
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Stop punishing yourself for binges, just move on from them. If you continue to restrict afterwards, you will have more binges because your body is crying out for food.

You need to focus on sorting your binging and restricting before you worry about macros/ training etc.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I agree, by compensating for the binges you are making them more likely to happen and worse when they happen. Try four weeks of not compensating and just being over on your calories if you binge. Log them and the days leading up and you can look for patterns as well.
  • GreatGuy07
    GreatGuy07 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think binge eating happens to anyone regardless of whether they're cutting or bulking. However, my honest suggestion for you is to learn from your mistakes by not fasting or cutting calories, but by not repeating it again. It's a timely process and will come with patience. Next time You binge eat, set yourself a limit of how much you want to go over.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You need to get your relationship with food straightened out- binging is about psychological issues- not hunger ones- so you need to seek counseling and or also consider if you're jumping face first into brownies and that just sets you into an all you can eat till you puke day that's different than diving in just because you're so hungry you can't take it- then you're numbers are probably to low all around.
    I think binge eating happens to anyone regardless of whether they're cutting or bulking. However, my honest suggestion for you is to learn from your mistakes by not fasting or cutting calories, but by not repeating it again. It's a timely process and will come with patience. Next time You binge eat, set yourself a limit of how much you want to go over.

yeah- just no.
    having a binge day- where you just go over board is NOT the same as flat out binging. Seriously- people who have true binging problems aren't eating because they are hungry- it goes way beyond that- they eat well beyond "full" and it's got nothing to do with food- or hunger.

I know that "binging" gets interchanged here but the reality is we have people here who truly having binging problems- and it's not the same as me saying I'm binging- when I binge- its a loose term that says- I said "fug it I'm sitting on the couch with my ice cream and I'm going to eat that and then whatever else I want- all day"

it's not a completely uncontrollable food smorgasboard- a true binge you aren't just going to say- I'm eating 3000 calories and that's it- I'm done. That's just NOT the way that works.

so. OP- if you're truly binging- you need to see a therapist. And before you start trying to make really hard changes to your body- you need to repair your relationship with food- and your mind and your body.

If you are binging in that you're just kind of saying eff it and eating a bunch of stuff- but find yourself stopping when you are full- then you just need to re-adjust your calories to more adequately suit your needs.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You need to get your relationship with food straightened out- binging is about psychological issues- not hunger ones- so you need to seek counseling and or also consider if you're jumping face first into brownies and that just sets you into an all you can eat till you puke day that's different than diving in just because you're so hungry you can't take it- then you're numbers are probably to low all around.

yeah- just no.
    having a binge day- where you just go over board is NOT the same as flat out binging. Seriously- people who have true binging problems aren't eating because they are hungry- it goes way beyond that- they eat well beyond "full" and it's got nothing to do with food- or hunger.

I know that "binging" gets interchanged here but the reality is we have people here who truly having binging problems- and it's not the same as me saying I'm binging- when I binge- its a loose term that says- I said "fug it I'm sitting on the couch with my ice cream and I'm going to eat that and then whatever else I want- all day"

it's not a completely uncontrollable food smorgasboard- a true binge you aren't just going to say- I'm eating 3000 calories and that's it- I'm done. That's just NOT the way that works.

so. OP- if you're truly binging- you need to see a therapist. And before you start trying to make really hard changes to your body- you need to repair your relationship with food- and your mind and your body.

If you are binging in that you're just kind of saying eff it and eating a bunch of stuff- but find yourself stopping when you are full- then you just need to re-adjust your calories to more adequately suit your needs.

So much this. It irritates me to no end when people are like, OMG, I binged and ate 4 cookies. Seriously? There is a major difference between binging and overeating, and unfortunately unless you've ever had a problem with binging, you probably don't realize it.

That being said, if you are truly binging, the WORST thing you can do afterwards is to fast or over restrict because you are only setting yourself up for a binge/restrict cycle. Trust me, I've been there and it's horrid. I know it's hard to do, but do NOT try to make up for a binge. Don't fast, don't restrict, and don't over exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The netting 1000 over the next 4 days is likely inhibiting both your bulking and your performance.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Apart from the psychological binging issues, do you want us to help you work out your TDEE again? Just to make sure you just aren't under eating?

Note the OP Is 19 and we don't know her stats....
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

yeah- just no.

So much this. It irritates me to no end when people are like, OMG, I binged and ate 4 cookies. Seriously? There is a major difference between binging and overeating, and unfortunately unless you've ever had a problem with binging, you probably don't realize it.

That being said, if you are truly binging, the WORST thing you can do afterwards is to fast or over restrict because you are only setting yourself up for a binge/restrict cycle. Trust me, I've been there and it's horrid. I know it's hard to do, but do NOT try to make up for a binge. Don't fast, don't restrict, and don't over exercise.

All of this. Seriously, stop the vicious cycle.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What are your goals for starters??
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you have the insurance/money to do it, I suggest seeing a nutritionist and coming up with a workable plan before this spirals out of control into a binge and starve cycle. If that costs too much, try your regular family doctor. I don't think going it alone here is going to fix this.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A couple of people suggested logging EVERYTHING for a few weeks (NO FASTING)....even the binge days. I would suggest adding to the notes section of your food diary how you are feeling on each day too so you can look for patterns that way too that maybe contributing to the binge days. As someone who has had a few weeks of binging happen recently AND weight trains, if you fast or deprive yourself after the fact your workouts and strength gains will suffer immensely. If you aren't eating enough to begin with ( I lose consistently on 1800-2000+ calories a day) to fuel your body (especially on workout days) you are basically your own worst nightmare at that point. But everyone is different and without any stats to go on I suggest logging EVERYTHING including binges and feelings to establish patterns.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't recommend fasting for those with ED tendencies (I created the IF group on here).

You need to sort out the reasons behind your binging basically. As others have said, psychologist.

Also, unless you are VERY small it is unlikely that your TDEE is actually 1500. (Unless you have a severely lowered metabolism possibly due to being underweight and undereating the majority of the time)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY tired. I read cutting as, well, the OTHER type of cutting (ie self harm).
  • shannonrandhawa
    Options
    Apart from the psychological binging issues, do you want us to help you work out your TDEE again? Just to make sure you just aren't under eating?

Note the OP Is 19 and we don't know her stats....

I'm definitely not under eating. I wish.. haha
    I'm 5'1.5 and about 113 lbs right now,
    I was about 109 a month ago, so I've been steadily gaining, (hopefully muscle mass) this past month.

But yes my BMR is around 1300 and my TDEE (without exercise) is about 1500.
  • shannonrandhawa
    Options
    This is why I don't recommend fasting for those with ED tendencies (I created the IF group on here).

You need to sort out the reasons behind your binging basically. As others have said, psychologist.

Also, unless you are VERY small it is unlikely that your TDEE is actually 1500. (Unless you have a severely lowered metabolism possibly due to being underweight and undereating the majority of the time)

My TDEE is actually very low!
    Without exercise I'm at 1538 I believe, my BMR is 1300.
    My metabolism might be slightly damaged, I was about 93 lbs a few months ago (not sightly) but I have put on a lot of weight, and muscle, since- I'm at 113 right now, at 5'1.5

I would love to see a psychologist, I just don't have the money..
    one day maybe
    I blame it on my impulsivity