Advice please

Options
Hello,

I finally got down to 15 stone on Friday. It's been at least 5 years since I was last this weight so I was pleased to say the least. On Saturday I stuck to my diet during the day but had a Chinese for dinner (stupid I know). On Sunday morning I weight myself and had gained 7lbs! I thought this would be down to the Chinese so I carried on my diet as normal Sunday and Monday hoping the extra was just a fluke because I had eaten abit more.

This morning I weighed myself and I'm still 5lbs up! I understand you can gain water and sodium weight but this is really disheartening!

Does anyone know why this could be happening and if I've got to lose this weight all over again or if it will come off during the week and my weekly weigh in will show a loss?

Replies

• joyswift3
    joyswift3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that after losing weight steadily for a while my weight will suddenly shoot up 4 pounds + for no reason and then settle down again after a few days to what it was before. I think it's hormonal :happy:
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much impossible to gain that much from a meal. Watch your sodium and drink plenty of water and it will come off
  • StevenH74
    Options
    I'd be surprised if the meal itself weighed that much.
    What did you eat? Deep fried crispy One Tonne?

I have never experienced a gain like that overnight and have no suggestions but let us know if it has gone by next weigh in.
  • Kealihc
    Options
    There is no way one meal could make you gain 7 lbs of fat! So I'm sure it is what you think, sodium, water, or like was said hormones, so I wouldn't sweat it! You got back on track and that's the most important thing :) as long as you were eating at your calorie limit to lose the weight in the first place, I'm sure this extra stuff should come off quite quick!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My first question would be did the Chinese food you eat contain MSG? MSG is the reason I don't eat most Chinese food, first it's a migraine trigger for me, secondly I retain massive amounts of fluids if I have it (10 pounds on average), for you to gain 7 pounds (aside from fluid retention) you would need to consume an excess of 24,500 calories. (3,500 calories equals 1 pound), there is no way you consumed that in one meal. Drink lots of water, watch your sodium intake and you should see the water weight come off in the next 5-7 days).
  • jom87
    jom87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. The Chinese was shared between 3 which was crispy shredded beef, chicken chow mein, special fried rice and a pancake roll. It sounds a lot but the portion was small compared to the portion I use to eat!

I'm drinking plenty of water so I'm hoping come sunday when I weigh in, I would have lost the extra 5lbs and maybe a little more!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, there is nothing wrong with Chinese food. Second, it's just water retention, give it a few days. Third, if you want to offset sodium, eat foods high in potassium and magnesium.
  • jom87
    jom87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    An update with this... Tuesday I was 5lbs up after gaining 7lbs over night from Saturday night. My official weight in is not until tomorrow but I couldn't wait.

So the scales are showing 14stone 13lbs and 3 quarters. It has taken me all week to lose the extra 5lbs which I can only assume came from eating Chinese! A lesson has been learnt!