Protein sources with food allergies

Options
Hi,

I have been struggling to get enough protein recently, usually only seem to get around 40-50g per day.

The problem is I have a stupid amount of food allergies and intolerances so am limited as to protein sources; I have fish, egg and nut allergies, also am lactose intolerant and coeliac, (lol rather embarrassing when you list them all like that!). Can anyone recommend any other good sources or am I just best to up my lean meats intake?

Also am I correct that I need about 100g of protein per day? (currently weigh around 148lbs and exercise (running) c 4x per week for about an hour)

Replies

• GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tofu? It's a very good protein source and, as far as I am aware, gluten free! It absorbs flavor well (I highly recommend flavoring it!) and can be used in both sweet and savory dishes (tofu chocolate pudding is yummy!). Chickpeas are also really good for boosting protein, and quite nutritious too! They contain less than five ppm (parts per million) of gluten so you should be able to eat them problem free (my friend is coeliac too and eats them with no issue) though obviously it's down to your personal choice.
    Some vegan meat alternatives are also gluten and lactose free with high amounts of protein in, some of them are quite nice, or at least interesting to try. ^_^
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Any soy products, beans, Chickpeas ...
  • Anniebunny11
    Options
    Thanks :), I'll try those suggestions, I never thought to try tofu!