Waitress & I don't get up early enough to go to the gym...

Options
Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me find a way to motivate myself to either go to the gym before work or workout at home. I typically work nights from 4 until about 12 sometimes 2:30am and will stay awake until about 3-5am. I want to wake up, workout or go to the gym and then be able to go home, shower, and get to work on time but I love sleep.

I have tried the sleep in my workout clothes, set multiple alarms, and go to bed as soon as I get home.

Replies

• jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you really want it and it is important to you--you will find a way to do it
    :wink:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Workout after work?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill or answer for that matter that makes it any easier, you just have to want it bad enough to go do it.. If your up to 5 a.m. some days, why not find a 24 hour fitness gym and go there straight after work or pack your bag and head to the gym at 2 before you go into work, get your workout in then. Alot of the 24 hour places have nice locker rooms where you can shower and get ready to go into work... You just have to make a choice of what your goals are and start working towards them.... Best of Luck
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    just switch to a 24 hour gym and go after work! :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Why do you go to work every day?

Why do you brush your teeth every day?

Why do you put gas in your car?

We are motivated to do a ton of things every day. When working out has a reason strong enough - you will make it a priority and you will do it.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, it's up to you to find the time in your schedule. But looking at just what you posted, you go to sleep somewhere around 5 am and don't have to be at work until 4 pm. That's 11 hours. Do you sleep that whole 11 hours? If not, then take an hour or so during that time and get yourself to the gym or get a workout in at home.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do an intense ten minute program at home. Go to the Gym when you can. Good Luck.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

We are motivated to do a ton of things every day. When working out has a reason strong enough - you will make it a priority and you will do it.

The gypsy is wise.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options

The gypsy is wise.
    Agreed...and sexy too!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

The gypsy is wise.
    Agreed...and sexy too!

I believe you two just made my week. :heart: :blushing:

tumblr_ljbcgkPROS1qixleeo1_500.gif
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    just switch to a 24 hour gym and go after work! :)

+1. An important part of the process is figuring out what works for you, rather than trying to make yourself do everything a certain way.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Excuses, excuses…….just do it!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This...
    If you really want it and it is important to you--you will find a way to do it
    :wink:

And this...
    There is no magic pill or answer for that matter that makes it any easier, you just have to want it bad enough to go do it.. If your up to 5 a.m. some days, why not find a 24 hour fitness gym and go there straight after work or pack your bag and head to the gym at 2 before you go into work, get your workout in then. Alot of the 24 hour places have nice locker rooms where you can shower and get ready to go into work... You just have to make a choice of what your goals are and start working towards them.... Best of Luck

and definitely this...

I gotta second the excuses part too...not being mean, but because I did the same thing as you are doing. I had the hardest time getting up even after 7 hours of sleep. I'd lay in bed finding tons of reasons (#1 being I love to sleep) to not go workout.

So it's up to you. It's a choice. You decide to do it. You make that decision every.single.time. Time will pass either way.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    work out after work... it you are staying up a few hours after work after every shift then there is your answer,...
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I'm not seeing the time issue here. You say most nights you're home by midnight, which is only an 8-hour work day. Or if you get home at 2:30 that is a 10.5 hour work day. That leaves a remaining 16 hours in the day to workout whenever. You can't possibly be sleeping 16 hours???
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you go to bed at 5am, when are you typically waking up? What else needs to be done during the day?

If you go to bed at 5am, then 7 hours of sleep has you up at noon. You could fit in an hour workout on the way to the gym, no?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Workout after work?

If you have a 24hr gym in your town, I like this ^^^ idea.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Find a way that works for you.

Personally, I've found that if I work out RIGHT when I get home from work, I stick to the plan a lot better than if I wait an hour or two, or try to wake up early to do it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I find the more I workout and the more fit I am, the less sleep I need. I am not sure if that is the same with everyone, but turn it into a routine and it will get easier with time. Just find a time that you can stick with.
    I only get 4-5hrs a night (of broken up sleep due to caring for a baby) but I was up at 6am this morning to workout.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I love my sleep too. I still make time to go to the gym though.

OP is just not ready yet.