Help

Options
I see a lot of people adding their exercises through out the day and I wonder to myself "How do they do it?" I work a desk job Mon-Fri 9-5 then I go home to two children ages 11 & 8 and a husband who all want dinner. I admit we all go for a walk after or play Just Dance, Just Dance 2 or Wii fit but I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to do what all you guys are doing.

I guess I am just wondering if there are any moms out there that really have the time or did most of you guys go out an purchase work out machines?

I love this site but when I log on at work I feel discouraged.

Replies

• Jilly78
    Options
    I hear ya, I am new and know I need to exerise, but when I get off work I just to hang out with my kiddo, not leave em again.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    In the evening, if you just give exercise 5 mins, the chances are pretty good that you will stick with it to the end. Its never easy, but if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. GOOD LUCK.
  • rsm134
    rsm134 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wake up at 6 so I can go to the gym from 7-8 and then head to work. It doesnt let me have the excuse that i am too tired or hungry at the end of the day! The first week was the hardest but now it is part of my routine!
    good luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to be discouraged. You need to do what works for you. Not everyone will have the same schedule as you, and vice versa. Work it in when YOU can. Also, there are many people on here from UK and other places who may be in a way different time zone than you.

Edited to add: I am also a full time working mom of two, I have an hour commute each way every day. So I know what you are going through. Right now, I try to make time in the mornings to work out by waking up an hour earlier than normal. I do DVDs at home (Jillian Michaels, P90X, etc). No need to buy expensive machines.
  • rme921
    rme921 Posts: 22
    Options
    I too work a desk job from 7 am - 5:30 pm four days a week and two nights a week I go straight to school and don't get home until about 8:30 pm so I understand where you are coming from. It seems to never be enough time to do anything. I try and exercise at least 20 minutes before I leave for work...I don't have any work out machines but use dvds and ones with short 20 minute exercise times. I also get to go to the gym one night during the week after work since we have a gym here....but I only stay an hour. The weekends I try to do the most exercising...including getting up on a Friday and Saturday mornings and walking a few miles at the park (if weather permits). It only takes 45 minutes to walk 3 miles. There are ways to get around a long workout time.....just try and be creative....If it rains, I always have my dvds to fall back to including my 20 minute ZUMBA!

Good luck!
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Being a mom and a wife makes it hard to do, because you are accountable to other people or your time. My kids are teenagers 5 of them they are eating machines and can fix their own food, this means it is my time... time for me to lose the 17 years of baby fat. Time for me to get healthier so I will be there for my grandchildren as well. I have to say the kids first Balked at it.. but now they are encouraging.. Same with my Husband. it isn't taking time from them it is doing something for all of us ( and I have to admit I am a much nicer person when I get my workout it... gotta love endorphins)
  • mandalina23
    Options
    Hi Ottawagirl :) ...

My room-mate has a 6 year old, but wakes up in the mornings and works out downstairs so she doesn't wake up her son. I wake up as well and work out with her. That may be a good way of getting your work out, out of the way and I tell you what, I feel so much better through out the day. We do a workout CD, she has the P90X cds so we do that, but I have seen some new workour videos coming out that may be good too. I know it does not sound appealing waking up even earlier to work out, but trust me, it's worth it. You feel great, and you know at the end of the day you can go home you will not feel guilty for not working out because you already did! .

Maybe you could also, if you don't want to wake up early all the time, see if your kids would want to go on walks with you once or twice a week in the evenings.

Hope this was helpful!
  • OttawaGirl79
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS. SOME OF YOU GAVE ME SOME GREAT IDEA'S.

My husband leaves for work at 6:30 so I wouldn't be able to go to the gym in the a.m. but waking up early sounds like something I would like to add to my baily routine. Off to shop for some video's.

Like I said we do walk and play Just Dance on the wii which is kind of like ZUMBA...but I feel like I need to do more.

If anyone has some great DVD idea's let me know.
  • jammers11
    Options
    Jillian Michael's has some good workouts and they are pretty short too so they're easier to fit into your day especially when you have kids. They're also pretty inexpensive and if you have Comcast you can try a lot of them out on On Demand before you buy.

I would definitely recommend P90X, they're really good workouts, but the set is more expensive and it's an hour workout each day so you might not want to put the money into that until you've tried a few others first.

Good luck!